Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long did your Kick Ash Basket last?

Options
I've had mine for about a year and a half and the bottom has pretty much disintegrated. When I am about to fire her up I will give the left over coals a shake and because the bottom of the basket is pretty much gone alot of the charcoal just falls through. I end up scooping up the smaller pieces with my hands and whatever is too big to fit through the bottom grate is put back in the basket but I'm starting to wonder if there is any point in having the basket in there at all. 
Just wondering if others have had the same life span on these things. 
St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Been with mine in an extremely humid environment, outside 24/7/365 since available to purchase.
    Still going strong.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    I have 2 ..the one in NC mountains, for a year or so...use it 3-4 times a week when we are there... It's rock solid like new. The one in Florida on my MM is 6 months old...use it 2-3 times a week. After a summer in the humidity ....and hurricane Irma... it still looks better than it did the day it arrived....my wife laments that I should be that good!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    After about a year and a half mine looked pretty bad. I posted pictures somewhere on the forum. Most people seem happier with their KAB and most don't seem to have a problem.

Mine doesn't sound as bad as yours does. Do you do a lot of high temp cooks? I know I do and I think that had something to do with the warping mine had. That and mine looked pretty corroded. I still have it incase of emergency. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My first one lasted 3 years. Just got the replacement. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Less than a year. Pulled it out and went back to OEM set up, that’s working for me. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    keener75 said:
    I've had mine for about a year and a half and the bottom has pretty much disintegrated. When I am about to fire her up I will give the left over coals a shake and because the bottom of the basket is pretty much gone alot of the charcoal just falls through. I end up scooping up the smaller pieces with my hands and whatever is too big to fit through the bottom grate is put back in the basket but I'm starting to wonder if there is any point in having the basket in there at all. 

Where did you buy it from?  There are knock offs / counterfeits out there.  If it was an early one, they had some issues--but with it being 1.5 yrs old, not sure what you got.  I've sold lots of them and they're all going strong.

Email KAB and talk to them about it......just like us, FlameBoss, CGS, and a lot of the other guys in this business we are Eggheads at heart and stand behind our products.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I thought KAB went to stainless steel quite awhile ago, but you said you've only had yours for 1.5 years, so you should've gotten a newer one.  
    I've got the older style in my L and newer in my Small, both are still doing fine but I don't cook that often and live in an arid environment.  
    You might wish to call the manufacturer, see if there's something they could do.  1.5 years isn't good enough, imho.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I’m guessing your talking about rusting out. If so it has to be a moisture issue. Any chance you do raw oysters a lot?

• keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    keener75 said:

Where did you buy it from?  There are knock offs / counterfeits out there.  If it was an early one, they had some issues--but with it being 1.5 yrs old, not sure what you got.  I've sold lots of them and they're all going strong.

Email KAB and talk to them about it......just like us, FlameBoss, CGS, and a lot of the other guys in this business we are Eggheads at heart and stand behind our products.
    I bought it online from Dickson BBQ in Toronto. I can't say enough good things about my dealings with them. They have been awesome to deal with and I don't believe this is on them. I was just curious as to how long these things are lasting for other eggheads. I don't do too many high temp cooks. Maybe once a month I will do a reverse sear steak which requires a high temp sear. Have done about 5 pizza cooks in the last year and a half. I mostly grill protein at 400-450 or am smoking ribs or butts at 250. 
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options

GrillSgt said:
    I’m guessing your talking about rusting out. If so it has to be a moisture issue. Any chance you do raw oysters a lot?

Your right, it looks like it is rusting out.
    I don't get your comment on raw oysters...sorry. 
    No, I don't eat oysters and if they are raw then they wouldn't be anywhere near my Egg. 
    I live in Southern Ontario so our climate is simular to Buffalo or Detroit. Cold and wet winters and humid summers. I guess moisture could be an issue but I wouldn't think it would be any worse than the southern states.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    keener75 said:
    keener75 said:

I bought it online from Dickson BBQ in Toronto. I can't say enough good things about my dealings with them. They have been awesome to deal with and I don't believe this is on them. I was just curious as to how long these things are lasting for other eggheads. I don't do too many high temp cooks. Maybe once a month I will do a reverse sear steak which requires a high temp sear. Have done about 5 pizza cooks in the last year and a half. I mostly grill protein at 400-450 or am smoking ribs or butts at 250. 
    Dickson is a good spot. Have bought a few small items there. I am located in Ottawa, so have only been in when visiting Toronto. 
  • TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    I got mine for Christmas 2015 and there's nothing wrong with it. Outside 24/7/365 as well. I'm in NE Ohio so not sure if that matters. 

I really like it, if it does rust out I'd probably get a replacement. 

Strongsville, OH

• nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    KAB still going strong after about a year.  It has cracked three Firebowls on my MM.  Cracked them within weeks of replacement.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    nealmgb said:
    KAB still going strong after about a year.  It has cracked three Firebowls on my MM.  Cracked them within weeks of replacement.
    How would a KAB crack the Firebox?  The charcoal lays in that box against the ceramic anyway.  The KAB doesn't change that.  
  • nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    Don’t know how.  Best I can tell, the KAB is resting against the Firebowl at the handles and the heat is causing the crack.  I agree with the charcoal resting in the firebowl without the KAB.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • dutchie
    dutchie Posts: 17
    Options
    Same story here, got it as Christmas gift 2015, purchased at Dickson bbq. Pretty much unusable now 

"Oh how lovely cooks the meat"- Frankie Lane

Caledonia, Ontario

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I had the older version of the KAB. It was maybe 3 years old. It started to sag but was still functional. I was given a new replacement for participating at a local Eggfest. I just gave my old KAB away last week for free on Craigslist
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    nealmgb said:
    Don’t know how.  Best I can tell, the KAB is resting against the Firebowl at the handles and the heat is causing the crack.  I agree with the charcoal resting in the firebowl without the KAB.
    Fireboxes have been cracking for nearly 40 years BEFORE the kick ash basket ever came out.  There are now thousands of them out there and it's not like the problem has increased.  It's not changing anything.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Mine is two years old and still going strong.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• TylerLane
    TylerLane Posts: 15
    Options
    @dutchie I just bought a KAB from the CGS two weeks ago, and by my eye, mine is a lot heavier gauge steel than yours.  I have an XL, what size is yours?  I’m new to all of this...do knock off’s exist?
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I have 4, I bought 1 for a friend, a couple of mine are 3yrs and still going strong as for the rest 2+ and still zero issues. Would I buy another HELL YES!! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Have them in all of my Eggs but one, 3 larges, 1 Small, 1 Mini Max the Mini doesn't. I think my first KAB is like 3-5 years old not sure as that was many Rum and Cokes ago! If one should fail I would just get another...........

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    No issues after a couple years at least
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95