Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: New TV

Options
well I came home from 3days away . The Sharp Aquos that I bought in January 2006 seems to have croaked while I was gone. Any recommendations on a 40 to 50 inch flat screen with good picture and sound? Any new features to look for?  I subscribe to Amazon Prime, Hulu, and have an iTunes collection if that is relevant.

Comments

• FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Just don buy anything from the Korreans.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I have a new LG and am very pleased. It’s a 65”. Make sure you buy a TV with 240Hz. If I’m correct that’s the refresh rating and the higher the Hz the clearer the picture when watching sports. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Also recommend the fine korrrean-built LG's.  I have an 8-year old, 47" LED with local dimming that I'm still very happy with, but when it goes will be jumping on one of their new OLED sets, beautiful!
    I can't speak for their sound, I have that routed through my British-made Monitor Audio speaker setup.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Thanks, I’ m sure FOC objects To LG being. Korrean but life is full of little disappointments. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Just don buy anything from the Korreans.
    Well, at minimum we should wait to see how President BigBrain BestWord’s negotiations go with them first.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    It a shame plasma TV's are dead.

As far as what to buy? Well that depends how much you want to spend.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well there are the Good Korreans and the Bad Korreans. More to the point, I looked up prices do OLED TVs and I don’t think that I have the coin to be bleeding edge right  now, my car tag is up for renewal by the end of the month.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It a shame plasma TV's are dead.

As far as what to buy? Well that depends how much you want to spend.
    No bigger than 50 inches and hopefully less than $800 in order to fit both the available space and funds. Spent a bundle on continuing education to maintain my license recently.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well there are the Good Korreans and the Bad Korreans. More to the point, I looked up prices do OLED TVs and I don’t think that I have the coin to be bleeding edge right  now, my car tag is up for renewal by the end of the month.
    There are these financial vehicles called "second mortgages" that can be very useful in these situations. Much better than the insane interest rates on credit card financing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I paid off the house a couple of years ago. It needs a new roof pdq, last year was a heating and cooling system. No more notes or I have to pose as a Girl Scout and sell cookies.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I paid off the house a couple of years ago. It needs a new roof pdq, last year was a heating and cooling system. No more notes or I have to pose as a Girl Scout and sell cookies.
    Good on you. My comment was made in jest. I hope to pay off our mortgage in the next year or so here as well. That's got to be a great feeling when the only payment you owe is the rent of your land in the form of property taxes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Yeah I paid the “rent” in January. Now I have until August to save up for the hurricane alley house insurance robbery. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    edited March 2018
    Options
    We have an LG 43" and it works flawlessly, has an incredible picture, and the grey bezel looks good too. Bought a 55 and it was way too big and just overpowered the room. It would have been fine if we could have moved the recliners out to the carport, opened up the doors and peered in from out there. 43 was the right size for our room. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I bought a 50" 4K smart (Roku) TV for the bedroom about 1.5 years ago.  $350.  I'll look up the model whe I get enough energy together to get off the couch.
    Options
    We just bought a Samsung QLED from the TV shop in our town. Find somewhere to go and see the TVs operating and you will work out where to spend the money. When we were looking, the next one down from the QLED was not far off in picture quality and at 45" would be around your budget. Sound is a problem, most TVs are thin with minimal surrounds now and have no space to put decent speakers. A sound bar is a good idea, but adds to the budget.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sony 49" X900e
    Gittin' there...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I just replaced a TV as well. Went with the Sony X850E model line. Great TV!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I will never buy from LG (Lousy Goods) again. I bought a 56" and after two years it developed a line of dead pixels. After three months of fighting with them they finally said they don't have replacement parts. They offered me a pittance to exchange it. I'll go  back to a B&W tube with rabbit ears before I give them any more money.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Samsungs are good, like them so far.  Unfortunately, all of these new "digital" TV's are not much more than giant monitors for any type of media client and sadly, they last about 5-7 yrs before the let out the magic smoke from their components.  My son has a newer one that has netflix, hulu, etc as a widget.  However, I do not like the idea of my TV being directly "connected" to the internet. Just sayin... 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have always been a Sony guy, never been disappointed. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    I just bought an LG 6300 series 43 inch 4K set.  Always bought Samsung's before.  All the new Samsung's now have a separate box to serve as a "hub" for all the HDMI etc inputs.  Seems like something that will break to me so I changed brands.  The LG 6300 is a cheap decent entry level 4K.  Mine was $300 at Sams.  The  picture out of the box was not good at all.  Read the reviews and turned off the default "eco" setting and the picture improved significantly.  The new OLED and QLED sets have great pictures but were a lot more than I wanted to spend.  I put the set in front of my exercise bike.  It is not connected to the cable so I will use it to experiment with streaming and over the air stations to decide if I want to cut the cable off in the future.  
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It ended up being a Sony Bravia, 4 K 2160p. I can now watch: Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and YouTube on a 49 inch screen. Switching from streaming to regular tv is proving to be an issue juggling remotes so far. It was an open box sale so $500 our the door.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Samsung curve.. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Samsungs are good, like them so far.  Unfortunately, all of these new "digital" TV's are not much more than giant monitors for any type of media client and sadly, they last about 5-7 yrs before the let out the magic smoke from their components.  My son has a newer one that has netflix, hulu, etc as a widget.  However, I do not like the idea of my TV being directly "connected" to the internet. Just sayin... 
    I concur.  I don't like the idea of any of your gadgets being connected to the internet.
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Just bought two 2017 Sony 4K 930E's for the new house. Best model before the big bucks for an OLED. 

You need to go to Best Buy or where ever to see the new technology. It's pretty amazing.

The future is internet content. The cord/dish is going to go away. We wired for cable but also ran ethernet cable. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    What's the paranoia about a TV being connected to the internet @onedbguru and @nolaegghead? I'm all for privacy, but I don't see a lot of danger here.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Eoin said:
    What's the paranoia about a TV being connected to the internet @onedbguru and @nolaegghead? I'm all for privacy, but I don't see a lot of danger here.
     ;) 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Switching from streaming to regular tv is proving to be an issue juggling remotes so far. 
    I use a Logitech "Harmony One" that controls everything, turns on amps/tv/disk player to watch a disk, then turns the disk player off and the Roku on when I switch to streaming, etc.  It's a pain to set up but a dream once you're there, one touchscreen to control everything.  I believe a newer model also controls your IP-controlled lights, curtains, etc if you're set up for that.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Botch said:
    Switching from streaming to regular tv is proving to be an issue juggling remotes so far. 
    I use a Logitech "Harmony One" that controls everything, turns on amps/tv/disk player to watch a disk, then turns the disk player off and the Roku on when I switch to streaming, etc.  It's a pain to set up but a dream once you're there, one touchscreen to control everything.  I believe a newer model also controls your IP-controlled lights, curtains, etc if you're set up for that.  
    Worth every penny (actually lots of pennies).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.