Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Wings

500 Posts: 3,177

Hot smoked some wings.  350 indirect.  Dry rub was kosher salt,cracked black, and Lawry’s.  After done, they were dunked per order in either warmed B-Dubs Teriyaki Sauce or this Buffalo style sauce; 

http://www.savoryreviews.com/2011/09/19/grilled-hot wings/

Plus a number of adult beverages. Sunday Funday. 

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Fantastic looking wangs!!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Wings anytime!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    They look GREAT!

I haven't done wings very many times, and so far, only indirect because I'm lazy and don't want to have to flip them.  I keep thinking I might try direct, sometime, and just keep flipping them every 10 minutes or something.  Dunno.  Yours make me want to just keep doing it indirect, though -- they look great!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Theophan - I have gone back and forth between direct and indirect with wings.  For the past few years I have settled on very raised direct (PSWOO and extender gets them a good 4-5 " above the gasket line).  As you note, flip a couple of times but the results are great.  Seem to come out with much crispier skin ( same over-night fridge air-day and no need to enhance with the corn starch dusting).  But as with most BGE cooks many ways to get there.  Just enjoy the awaiting banquet.  FWIW-
    BTW- apologize for the partial hi-jack.  Wings look great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    I love wings!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

Time for wings again this Sunday.  I think I'll try these again.  Rehashing this thread so it's easier for me to find come Sunday.
    Member since 2009
  • Smoked then flash fried is the way to go. Slow smoke for 2 hours and in the fryer for 2 minutes. Great smoky taste and fried crispy skin. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Looks delicious 
  • @500 how long did you have them on at 350 indirect? I'm planning on superbowl wings tomorrow. 
    plan on about 45-60 minutes once the Egg comes to temp and burns clean. 
    Member since 2009
  • @500 are you flipping the wings half way through?
    Yes, I do.  This time I cut the tips of the wings off and grilled them whole, and cut them apart after taking them off.  Much easier to cut apart, and I think grilling whole helps retain the juices.  When they were nearly finished, I removed the plate setter, cranked the heat to about 450, and finished them off direct, to crisp up.  I used a bottled buffalo wings sauce this time as well.  Didn't like it as much as the sauce recipe above, but it was a zero calorie, zero fat sauce, and my wife favored that.  
    Member since 2009