Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post your latest Cast Iron Score here......

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    HeavyG said:
    I love all this iron, but is there one of those anonymous support groups for a few of you guys? I am not laughing at you, rather with you. I am that type of personality myself. Tend to overindulge in things of interest to me. LOL. 

My name is Brandon. I’ve been collecting iron for 12 years now. I have 382 pieces. 

“Hi Brandon!”

ok, maybe I’m a little jealous? 
    382 pieces? That's just a starter kit.

These folks are the ones with an obsession (and a very cool collection as a result): https://thepan-handler.com/2016/06/largest-vintage-cast-iron-cookware-collection-in-the-united-states-larry-and-marg-oneil-tacoma-wa/

I had no idea. Just picked a number that seemed  unreasonable to a non collector. Ha!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    I love all this iron, but is there one of those anonymous support groups for a few of you guys? I am not laughing at you, rather with you. I am that type of personality myself. Tend to overindulge in things of interest to me. LOL. 

My name is Brandon. I’ve been collecting iron for 12 years now. I have 382 pieces. 

“Hi Brandon!”

In defense, let me explain. Lol

1.  I love the thrill of finding a great deal that gets overlooked.  I haven't paid over 50% off full retail, on any piece, old or new, from CI to CS.  Most are more like 66% or 75% if I calculated.

2.  I enjoy taking a fugly piece of vintage iron in a dark, musty, dusty, rusty, moldy, antique shop...breathing a little life into it, and saving it from the scrap heap.  My first pan was a $5 #8 Griswold EPU.  I was hooked.

3.  I appreciate the history, geographics, and dangerously hard work involved.  Watch a loose pattern molding vid and it will enlighten.  Stupid hot, dangerous, back breaking work.  Several foundries burnt to the ground.  Erie was one of them.  Another reason I feel it's my duty to keep them out of the scrap heap.  Maybe it's because I worked in an industrial coatings plant in my prime, I dunno.  But it's kind of sad to see these beautifully crafted pieces neglected.

4.  I feel that a CI skillet is one of the most essential tools in a kitchen.  Ask any good chef or experienced home cook who knows what they're doing.  My personal favorites Mallmann, Bayless, talk about it often.  I have given many as gifts for this very reason.  Oven, cooktop, grill, campfire, they're cheap and versatile, and will last a lifetime if cared for properly.  

5.  It's like grills, guns, EDC knives, kitchen knives, watches, shoes, etc for me.  Kind of like bourbon, stogs for you.

It's fun to have low cost options.  It makes me happy.  Using the same gun, grill, skillet, and knife would get boring hahaha.  These hobbies are chump change compared to most.   :)

Just recieved my 16th grill yesterday.  You should see it, built like a Tiger tank. =)

HTH explain the method of my madness.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited March 2018
    HeavyG said:

“Hi Brandon!”

382 pieces? That's just a starter kit.

These folks are the ones with an obsession (and a very cool collection as a result): https://thepan-handler.com/2016/06/largest-vintage-cast-iron-cookware-collection-in-the-united-states-larry-and-marg-oneil-tacoma-wa/

I would enjoy stopping by their place to meet them over the Space Needle.  I take care of folks like them here in IA.  Love them all, dearly.

13 pineapple peach upsidedown cakes in #9s is just awesome.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    @Focker . Yous pretty good at it I’d say! 
  • Focker
    Yeah, I don't want to count.  But I'm definitely under 100...I think.   =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Focker said:
    Hell, that’s not in the category of needing help. I would have guessed it was waaay more. That’s just a reasonable and healthy hobby. Unlike consumption and stogie smoking. 
  • Focker
    edited March 2018
    Focker said:
    Hell, that’s not in the category of needing help. I would have guessed it was waaay more. That’s just a reasonable and healthy hobby. Unlike consumption and stogie smoking. 
    If you cook healthy with them. Lol

I admit, it is a problem.  I'm running out of room.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Focker said. I admit, it is a problem.  I'm running out of room.

This was my problem.  Like yourself, I enjoyed the restoration, and putting pieces back into service.  

It was a sickness though.  Finally i realized i didn't need 70+ pieces.  Now I'm down to about 30.  I think I'm about good, and my obsessions have moved on to other things.  Still love using it.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Funny thing is a year ago my dad didn't see the point.  Then he got his first skillet, but couldn't imagine why he'd ever need more.    He's now up to about 12 pieces, lol.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    edited March 2018
    blasting said:

Funny thing is a year ago my dad didn't see the point.  Then he got his first skillet, but couldn't imagine why he'd ever need more.    He's now up to about 12 pieces, lol.
    Good stuff.  :)

My Dad is up to about that number as well, after restoring my Grandpa's Griswolds and Wagners for him and my uncle.  What got me in this mess in the first place.  Then he found more.  
    I forgot a couple...

6.  Usable collectibles.  I use them all, as mentioned earlier, that's the fun.  I respect the other philosophy of collecting and admiring, but I have no safe queens or trailer queens so-to-speak.  

7.  These honey holes are drying up.  There will come a point they will stop showing up in the antique stores.  Field, and all the others, still can't replicate a Griswold IMO.  Field and it's weight is close.

I will still buy, but hoard mostly Griswold, and it has to be cheap.  The other brands, if cheap, usually get gifted.  The ones I have sent out are appreciated.  I love hearing the "slick" feedback after use.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Made in China, not the good stuff I guess.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Made in China, not the good stuff I guess.
    You mean Gina. Only kidding. Nice pick up.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Made in China, not the good stuff I guess.
    You mean Gina. Only kidding. Nice pick up.
    It was free, found it going through Moms stuff.

It does have a little lip for any batter or eggs
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • northGAcock
    I was cleaning out my clutter emails and stumbled on this. I plan to order a few but thought I would post it here in case others found it interesting.

• northGAcock
    edited August 2018
    Got my order of two today. Better than I had anticipated. Now to find a use for them.

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Single corn bread pieces?? Deep dish pizza maybe?
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Just go ahead and order 4 more cheap a$$. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I was cleaning out my clutter emails and stumbled on this. I plan to order a few but thought I would post it here in case others found it interesting.

Party is already on point. She don’t need CI. 
  • northGAcock
    Jeremiah said:
    Broke ass is more like it.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Would those be good for serving pizza slices?
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Bake a brownie in it and then top with ice cream.  Your welcome.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • northGAcock
    Legume said:
    no.....not really big enough. Ideal really for baked dips. Kind of stupid in a way, but not the first time I have had a solution for a problem I did not have.  :o

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Someone at Lodge has been hearing the whispers

“If you make a new shape, they will come buy it”
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
     a solution for a problem I did not have. 
    Yes thats how SWMBO talked me into this peice from the discount area at Target recently... $8 isnt a huge hit to play with it.  So far I have smoked Habaneros in it, she wants brussel sprouts next.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Legume said:
    no.....not really big enough. Ideal really for baked dips. Kind of stupid in a way, but not the first time I have had a solution for a problem I did not have.  :o
    Individual baked mac and cheese FTW
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Got my order of two today. Better than I had anticipated. Now to find a use for them.

Those look cool but I'd hate having to clean/season/maintain 6 small  pieces of cast iron. I think I'd go  the enameled  cast iron route for oven-to-table serving dishes. Price sucks though. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    xfire_ATX said:
     a solution for a problem I did not have. 
    Yes thats how SWMBO talked me into this peice from the discount area at Target recently... $8 isnt a huge hit to play with it.  So far I have smoked Habaneros in it, she wants brussel sprouts next.

Finally remembered to take a pic when using that little gem.. worked great with a little balsamic and oil.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • northGAcock

Just ordered 4 more of these. love these.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Jeremiah said:

Good job. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah said:

Good job.