Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post your latest Cast Iron Score here......

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2018
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Today's $20 unmarked #9 Griswold, in with the overpriced small logos for $50.  $2 Flint spatula, another hidden gem. 
    @Focker How can you tell that's a Gris?
    The 3 digit pattern number at 1200.
    Thanks. I assume they had diff patt numbers for diff pans so any 3 digits = gris? 
    Skillets are 700s from what I've seen.  My unmarked Griswold #22 cornbreadstick pan is #954.  I would assume yes.

They had a Griswold marked #954 out there for $20.  I'll probably go back and bag that too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Today's $20 unmarked #9 Griswold, in with the overpriced small logos for $50.  $2 Flint spatula, another hidden gem. 
    @Focker How can you tell that's a Gris?
    The 3 digit pattern number at 1200.
    Thanks. I assume they had diff patt numbers for diff pans so any 3 digits = gris? 
    Skillets are 700s from what I've seen.  My unmarked Griswold #22 cornbreadstick pan is #954.  I would assume yes.

They had a Griswold marked #954 out there for $20.  I'll probably go back and bag that too.
    You lucky “focker”.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Focker
    edited February 2018
    Hit another hole today.
    Schlemmertopf vintage German clay baker, $8
    8 qt SS Vollrath bowl, $8
    Cousances French #20 enamel skilket $8
    Lodge Sportsmen Series Big Mouth Bass $10
    Unmarked Wags #6, making a set with a #10 and #5...$14
    Boys bagged a large Mr Potatohead.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Focker said:
    Hit another hole today.

Nice!! My brother bought me a Rommertopf clay baker very similar to that. Not familiar with the Schlemmertopf brand. It looks glazed on the inside. Mine isn't. They age beautifully! And they cook a mean pot roast. 

The Cousances skillet looks like the skillets that came with my $50 LC set. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited February 2018
    Focker said:
    Hit another hole today.

Nice!! My brother bought me a Rommertopf clay baker very similar to that. Not familiar with the Schlemmertopf brand. It looks glazed on the inside. Mine isn't. They age beautifully! And they cook a mean pot roast. 

The Cousances skillet looks like the skillets that came with my $50 LC set. 
    Thanks Q.
    Looked into the glazing before I grabbed it.  
    I can't wait to use it, should be great for some indirect braises.  Only kicker here is no direct.

Apparently Cousances was bought by LC in 1957.  And LC made Cousances into the 80s.  Lots of CI foundry drama, LC vs Cousances, Griswold vs Wagner.  =)

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Le-Creuset-vs-Cousances-Enameled-Cast-Iron-Cookware-/10000000002145675/g.html

That skillet looks very similar to my #22 saucepot.  Same color, unfinished bottom, even the round size stamp and logo.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Focker said:
    Hit another hole today.

Wow! Clean livin is all I can say. Must be. Lol!
  • Focker
    edited February 2018
    Focker said:
    Hit another hole today.

Wow! Clean livin is all I can say. Must be. Lol!
    I don't think the Lodge, clay, or skillet were even used.  I hope I do...use them. Lol

Contemplating painting the bass one black, and adding some model paint color to the bass, water, and sun.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited February 2018
    @pgprescott,
    On second thought, I'll leave the wallhanger alone.

@Carolina Q,
    Reston Lloyd is Romertopf is Schlemmertopf.
    Further down Reston Lloyd still stands behind the old Sclemmertopfs.  I will baby it, and presoak, then add to a cold oven.  Chicken with some herb and veggies will be awesome in this pot, pork roast too.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Stick a nail in this project, it's done.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2018
    Picked up his pan today. Very good shape but you can tell it was used often.
    Pretty light weight and very smooth cooking surface.
    Have it in a big ZipLoc bag coated in oven cleaner.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never done the oven cleaner bit. I like the old-age look, plus I never have to season a pan! Just wash it, apply a little oil and cook something. Never bought a rusty piece though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Ironic this thread popped up today, I was searching for it this morning and thought it was buffaloed. 

Not a score, but I picked up a Lodge 10" Chef skillet yesterday. Sanded it, washed and seasoned last night, the way Cowboy Kent Rollins recommends. Flax Seed Oil at 325ish for 30 min x3. I managed to get that done twice last night, and was curious how it would work, and I successfully made an omlette this morning, and it did not stick.

I know Flax Seed has a bad reputation for not lasting, but I thought I would try Kent's way. Its a little different in that the oven temp is around 300/325 instead of 500. Time will tell how it works out.

I have made some serious progress the last few weeks learning how to cook on cast iron, as well as stainless steel. I cook eggs for breakfast every morning, and getting them not to stick has been very frustrating, but I think I have it down now. I have been using another Lodge skillet the last few days, but I cut the handle off so it would fit in my eggs better, and trying to do omelettes without a handle was getting unsafe. After slightly burning my hand and nearly catching my pot holder on fire, I decided it was time to get a cast with a handle. Going to keep an eye out at thrift stores for an older Griswold or something a little nicer, but this will work for now.

Kent has a couple vids about Field Company's cast iron. Anybody pick one of those up yet? 
  • Photo Egg
    Cashfan said:
    Ironic this thread popped up today, I was searching for it this morning and thought it was buffaloed. 

Not a score, but I picked up a Lodge 10" Chef skillet yesterday. Sanded it, washed and seasoned last night, the way Cowboy Kent Rollins recommends. Flax Seed Oil at 325ish for 30 min x3. I managed to get that done twice last night, and was curious how it would work, and I successfully made an omlette this morning, and it did not stick.

I know Flax Seed has a bad reputation for not lasting, but I thought I would try Kent's way. Its a little different in that the oven temp is around 300/325 instead of 500. Time will tell how it works out.

I have made some serious progress the last few weeks learning how to cook on cast iron, as well as stainless steel. I cook eggs for breakfast every morning, and getting them not to stick has been very frustrating, but I think I have it down now. I have been using another Lodge skillet the last few days, but I cut the handle off so it would fit in my eggs better, and trying to do omelettes without a handle was getting unsafe. After slightly burning my hand and nearly catching my pot holder on fire, I decided it was time to get a cast with a handle. Going to keep an eye out at thrift stores for an older Griswold or something a little nicer, but this will work for now.

Kent has a couple vids about Field Company's cast iron. Anybody pick one of those up yet? 
    I had to run back 5-6 pages to find it.
    I'm another who had bad luck with flax. Seemed to hold for a couple cooks and then started  flaking off. Had this happen with several pans. Cast and black steel. Hope you have better luck.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cashfan
    Photo Egg said:
    Cashfan said:

I'm another who had bad luck with flax. Seemed to hold for a couple cooks and then started  flaking off. Had this happen with several pans. Cast and black steel. Hope you have better luck.
    Did you strip it and re-season it or season it by continuing to cook in it?
  • Photo Egg
    Cashfan said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Cashfan said:

Did you strip it and re-season it or season it by continuing to cook in it?
    The pans that flaked with flax, I stripped and started over. Sucked, because they looked perfect after seasoning with flax. Just would not hold.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Pan has a "V" on the back of handle. At first I thought it might have been added by owner. But after first round of stripping it looks more factory.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Photo Egg said:
    Pan has a "V" on the back of handle. At first I thought it might have been added by owner. But after first round of stripping it looks more factory.

Any other markings?
    Unmarked Wagners have a Times New Roman font, typewriter font.  But they also state the diameter in inches on the bottom.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited March 2018
    Cashfan said:

Back when I first got bit by the iron bug, many hardcore Griswold/Wagner guys and gals fell for the flax.  After flaking, they all stripped their entire collections and went with canola and grapeseed or lard.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cowboy Kent, but I'm not jumping on his chuckwagon here.  How did a cowboy not praise the lard???  Baffling

As for the Field Skillet, there have been negative reports here of cooking pork sausage, apparently an extremely difficult task in CI.  Maybe @DoubleEgger could advise?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Focker said:
    Photo Egg said:

Any other markings?
    Unmarked Wagners have a Times New Roman font, typewriter font.  But they also state the diameter in inches on the bottom.
    Thank you. No, I don't see any other markings on the bottom at all.
    It weights in right at 4 pounds. It's a 10" pan so a number 8.
    Almost half pound lighter than my other old pan. The other photos are just above in this thread.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    edited March 2018
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    Photo Egg said:

Any other markings?
    Almost half pound lighter than my other old pan. The other photos are just above in this thread.
    Thanks Darian.  The only thing close would be this.  You found a nice pan btw.  Some of those old pans in that era(1900-1930s) with the built-in heat ring are crazy light.  They don't feel like iron at all.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    edited March 2018
    Focker said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    Photo Egg said:

Any other markings?
    Thanks Darian.  The only thing close would be this.  You found a nice pan btw.  Some of those old pans in that era(1900-1930s) with the built-in heat ring are crazy light.  They don't feel like iron at all.

Thanks again.
    I looked again but I don't see any sign of a letter code.
    But it does look like the old Wagner. Not as light as the vintage Gris.
    I will keep working on it and post again. It does have very mild pitting on the inside, bottom,  around the edges. But it's dead flat on the stove so worth the effort to clean up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I haven’t bought any old CI in several years but my favorite is an old Benjamin &  Medwin 11” skillet. Slicker than any non stick I’ve owned.   
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Focker said:
    Cashfan said:

Back when I first got bit by the iron bug, many hardcore Griswold/Wagner guys and gals fell for the flax.  After flaking, they all stripped their entire collections and went with canola and grapeseed or lard.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cowboy Kent, but I'm not jumping on his chuckwagon here.  How did a cowboy not praise the lard???  Baffling

As for the Field Skillet, there have been negative reports here of cooking pork sausage, apparently an extremely difficult task in CI.  Maybe @DoubleEgger could advise?
    Not only is Cowboy Kent a flax seed promoter but he also really likes the Field skillets.

I haven't noticed if Cowboy Kent has done any vids of cooking pork in a Field skillet yet.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    edited March 2018
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    Cashfan said:

Not only is Cowboy Kent a flax seed promoter but he also really likes the Field skillets.

I haven't noticed if Cowboy Kent has done any vids of cooking pork in a Field skillet yet.

Yeah, I love CK's Bertha and chuckwagon aporoach, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy to boot.  It was truly baffling, for him to go with the Zaino of Fe here???
    He is a master with the #12 DOs though.
    A recent breakfast pizza vid, he dropped the pizza on the board and you heard a loud thud, cracked me up.  The pie looked friggin great.

You'd think he'd have some vintage stuff in use for his vids???
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,360
    Picked up this yesterday $25

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Focker
    edited March 2018
    GlennM said:
    Picked up this yesterday $25

Strong work, great condition!
    The pour spout on those older LC saucepots are handy.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I love all this iron, but is there one of those anonymous support groups for a few of you guys? I am not laughing at you, rather with you. I am that type of personality myself. Tend to overindulge in things of interest to me. LOL. 

My name is Brandon. I’ve been collecting iron for 12 years now. I have 382 pieces. 

“Hi Brandon!”

ok, maybe I’m a little jealous? 
  • Cashfan
    Focker said:
    Cashfan said:

Thanks for the feedback. I thought the Flax was worth a try for one pan and the new method. I am not very optimistic it will work. My other cast I did with peanut oil, but hasn't been used much. One reason I went that way is my already weak lungs took a very hard blow a few weeks ago with a respiratory illness, and heating the oven to 500 and filling the house with the smell isn't appealing right now. Need another week or two to heal up.

Made some diced potatoes last night, then pancakes and a veggie/cheese omelet this morning, and went well, very happy with it right now. Pretty excited to finally having some success after MANY, MANY messy failures with cast iron. I almost jumped for joy when an omelet didn't stick the other the other morning!!! Will keep you all posted on how it holds up. 

I'm new to Cowboy Kent (and cast iron), I think you (or somebody else here) referenced him last week and I checked him out. Watched a lot of his vids, and he likes lard, but said it can go rancid if left too long unused. I tend to think any oil will do that, but maybe not.

I like the looks of the Field Skillet, but not the price. Going to see if I continue down the CI road before investing in something like that, and look for some long term use reviews. Will probably keep an eye out at thrift stores and rummage sales for something nicer than my new lodges in the meantime.

Thanks for the warning about the pork. I have some chorizo to cook up, was going to use the new skillet. Guess I will get the teflon out for that.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Photo Egg said:
    You scored a nice pan indeed, Darian. Pawn shop? I've been stopping by the one at work more frequently,  because of some of your great finds :)

My 704 C #8 Griswold skillet w/ heat ring  is 200g lighter than my 704 W #8 without heat ring. I'm assuming that the C pan is older. Maybe material got cheaper as time went on, so they started making heavier pans?

The flaxseed oil seasoning thing failed for me too. Was so fed up of the flaking and reseasoning business that I gave up cooking on CI for a year or so. Got back into it after I noticed that grapeseed oil worked great on the BS griddle. Reseasoning with grapeseed oil or lard have worked much better for me.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    I love all this iron, but is there one of those anonymous support groups for a few of you guys? I am not laughing at you, rather with you. I am that type of personality myself. Tend to overindulge in things of interest to me. LOL. 

My name is Brandon. I’ve been collecting iron for 12 years now. I have 382 pieces. 

“Hi Brandon!”

ok, maybe I’m a little jealous? 
    382 pieces? That's just a starter kit.

These folks are the ones with an obsession (and a very cool collection as a result): https://thepan-handler.com/2016/06/largest-vintage-cast-iron-cookware-collection-in-the-united-states-larry-and-marg-oneil-tacoma-wa/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk