Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone vs. No bone Ribeye

Options
bdaxon
bdaxon Posts: 1

I'm attempting a reverse sear, 3 bone-in ribeye this weekend (~8lbs).

1. Any difference in approach if the cut has the bone in vs. no bone in?

2. What is a reasonable time estimate for cooking to get to medium-rare? Most articles/forum threads I've read say cook ~250 until you get to the desired internal temp. But how long would that take for a 8lb bone-in rib eye? Again, is the cooking time estimated differently if I leave the bone in?

3. Lastly, any good home-made rubs that someone wants to recommend? Most I've found involve buying some pre-made rub as a base and then adding other ingredients (thyme, sage, etc.) I'd like to make one completely from scratch.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    I have done both. Only difference is with bone in I place the bone side down. As far as time, I would think the bone  in would take slightly longer based on the increased mass, and insulation the bone provides, but I dont remember it being majorly different. 

Usually I like basic flavors so I mix s and p, garlic salt, little onion powder(use sparingly). 

If I have time I marinate in 1/2 Worcestershire 1/2 kikkoman soy sauce (it tastes the best to me), little minced garlic. Do it overnight. Gives killer flavor to the meat. 

Thats my two cents.  
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

1) No difference in approach.

2) This is a function of the length to diameter ratio.  You can read more about it here.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

3) SPOG, Salt Pepper Onion Garlic.    Personally, I like to use a little instant espresso powder also. 

Happy egging and I'm looking forward to pics of the finish

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • FHawk
    FHawk Posts: 10
    Options
    I have cooked plenty of 8-10 pound bone in ribeyes (standing rib roast), but never that low.   I always cook them at 375-400F, so I can't advise on how long it will take.  

I can tell you this, believe me now or believe me later, I would never attempt to cook one without a remote thermometer ($20) to continuously monitor the internal temperature of the rib roast.  I take them off at 112-115F internal temperature, and they always run up at least 20 degrees while resting. During a 30 minute rest, they run up above 130, which is higher than I really want.  I think if you are cooking at a lower temperature you will get less run up, but hard to say how much less.  (My guess would still be at least 15F.)

First time I cooked one, I ruined it thinking that the time estimates meant something, 10 pounds of medium well rib roast.  I had a table full of disappointed dinner guests, and had basically wasted over $100.  It's not about time, it's about temperature.  

Hopefully someone has cooked one that low and can give you an idea of how long it will take, just for planning what time to eat.   I still strongly recommend a continuous read thermometer.  $0.02.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Small BGE, Large Grill Dome, Large Kamado (2), Small Imperial Kamado.
    Huntsville, AL
    RTR !
  • WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    I did a 3 bone in Rib Roast and can't remember the time it took but itsure was tasty. Check out the cooke here

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196890/reverse-seared-standing-rib-roast/p1