Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Seared Standing Rib Roast

Options

Standing Rib Roasts are my favorite Holiday meal.  They are fantastic right out of the oven or right off the grill, and they make wonderful left over meals as well. Sunday afternoon I decided I wanted to spend the afternoon on the egg, cook one meal and have some leftovers for the next couple of days.  First thing that came to mind was a standing rib roast. So I shot over to my local butcher and ordered a 3 bone 6 pound roast and got to work.

Ingredients

• 5-8 lb boneless beef roast. Let sit for 1-2 hours to come up to room temp from the refrigerator.
  • Salt
  • black pepper, coarse ground
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed but left whole
  • 1 whole red onion
  • 1 pack of sliced portabellas
  • A few dashes of Worcestershire Sauce to add the onions, mushrooms, and beef stock

Instructions

1. Set up your grill for indirect heat and preheat to 225f as measured at the grate (250f dome temp on a Big Green Egg). 
  2. Dry dry rub made of the salt and pepper.
  3. Place the roast on a roasting rack above a roasting pan filled with the stock, mushrooms, and onions, and garlic
  4. Place the roasting rack on the grill and until the internal temp reaches 10 degrees less than your desired final         temperature.
  5. Rest the roast while you raise the grill temp to 600f and change to a direct heat set up.  
  6. Remove the pan of onion and mushrooms and set aside to make a gravy.  
  7. Sear the roast directly over the coals for 1 minute per side on all sides.
  8. Allow roast to rest another 10-15 minutes after the sear.  
  9. Slice and serve.

3 Bone in Rib Roast resting for 1-2 hours before the cook.

Seasoned with Salt and pepper, on grill rack, over a pan of chopped onions, mushrooms, beef stock, Worcestershire Sauce, and garlic. (Do not discard this pan of magic when removed.  This makes a damn fine gravy or au juice.  I took half of the veggies and drippings, added more beef stock, blended in a food processor.  Once liquified, warmed over the stove in a pan and the gravy lights out good!)

Rib roast cooked to an internal temp of 110 degrees. Pulled and let set while the grill was raised to 600 degrees for seared.  Seared all 4 sides for a minute a side.

Sliced, and ready to go after a 15 minute rest period.  Hardest part is being patient enough to let rest and not immediately cutting into the roast.

Plated and ready to eat! Used the cooked mushrooms, onions, drippings, to make a gravy by blending half of the veggies and drippings, with more beef stock, in a food processor.  Once liquified, warmed over the stove in a pan and the gravy lights out good!) Drizzled over some mashed potatoes and went to town!

Finished product.  Could not have been happier. Very easy cook, fantastic results, and always a crowd pleaser!

Comments