Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Meat Slicer Recommendation Needed

Options
I'm looking for a meat slicer that I will use to slice deli meat and cheese.  It will probably only get used once or twice a month, so I'm not looking for a large expensive unit because size is an issue too.   I've read a few recent threads about a couple of cheaper units, but I will want to slice/shave deli meat and that seems to be the drawback of these units.  I'm looking at these 2 units, but open to recommendations. The Avantco is recommended by a couple of members, but I'd like to hear from someone that has one.   Any advice or recommendation is much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHU7E1K/ref=psdc_1090758_t1_B01IJZ0KKC#customerReviews

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJzS_-3b2QIVC0BpCh2MBArTEAQYASABEgL91_D_BwE

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I just bought a Chef's Choice 609. I love it. One thing I would change and will do is buy a none serrated blade for it. Other than that it works great. I have only done bacon a couple of times.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I have a Chef's Choice 610 that is almost seven years old, used probably ten times a year. Still happy with it.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have the Advantco 10” and I love it. It is small enough to be under a round table in the dining room and light enough to move from there to the kitchen by my wife with ease.  It can not do full slabs of bacon, but that is fine as I cut them in half anyway.  It will slice roast beef as thin as you want it, but have not gone to the point of shaving it or a “chip” slice. 
    I have not ever used it for cheese, but do not see why it would not work unless it is a super hard cheese. But then again you grate hard cheeses usually. 

Cleaning I have down to just under 20 mins.  The first time took much longer than that.  

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I'm looking for a meat slicer that I will use to slice deli meat and cheese.  It will probably only get used once or twice a month, so I'm not looking for a large expensive unit because size is an issue too.   I've read a few recent threads about a couple of cheaper units, but I will want to slice/shave deli meat and that seems to be the drawback of these units.  I'm looking at these 2 units, but open to recommendations. The Avantco is recommended by a couple of members, but I'd like to hear from someone that has one.   Any advice or recommendation is much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHU7E1K/ref=psdc_1090758_t1_B01IJZ0KKC#customerReviews

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-sl310-10-manual-gravity-feed-meat-slicer-1-4-hp/177SL310.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJzS_-3b2QIVC0BpCh2MBArTEAQYASABEgL91_D_BwE

im betting both are made by the same manufacturer, they are extremely similar looking. the first one has a bigger motor, but you might have more problems getting parts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Like @fishlessman says, pretty sure they are made in the same place, I've used the Avantco and its great, I have a Uniworld and its about the same ...wished I had more room though for bigger cuts

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I have the Advantco 10” and I love it. It is small enough to be under a round table in the dining room and light enough to move from there to the kitchen by my wife with ease.  It can not do full slabs of bacon, but that is fine as I cut them in half anyway.  It will slice roast beef as thin as you want it, but have not gone to the point of shaving it or a “chip” slice. 
    I have not ever used it for cheese, but do not see why it would not work unless it is a super hard cheese. But then again you grate hard cheeses usually. 

Cleaning I have down to just under 20 mins.  The first time took much longer than that.  

I’ve heard the Advantco are great for the money. 

Btw, all this bacon was done on a 10” slicer. Was the whole length of the belly. Just get it very cold (semi-frozen) fold in half and slice away. Goes through like butter. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.  @fishlessman is very astute.  After looking closer both units and another one I saw on Amazon have the same frame, but different motor ratings.  All three have good reviews.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Ive used a Excalibur EPS012 12" slicer for 2+ years now and it works fine for shredding cold cuts and fits a prosciutto, so i would assume it fits bacon but i have never tried. I do not know anything about the ones you listed. I just did a quick search on the excalibur and it seems to have gone up in price I do not remember paying that much for it but I know i normally troll the internet looking for discount codes and cheaper sellers. Good luck in your decision process.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Excalibur-EPS012-12-Commercial-Food-Slicer/153519392
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • mlc2013
    Options
    as far a size it bigger obviously and my wife does have a little trouble picking up so we just leave on the counter so it may not actually be what your looking for

Long Island NY    
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    as far a size it bigger obviously and my wife does have a little trouble picking up so we just leave on the counter so it may not actually be what your looking for

It's bigger  and more expensive than what I'm looking for, but that is one nice slicer.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Hawg Fan yeah i realized after i posted it and saw the ones you were looking at that it might be to much good luck on your hunt

Long Island NY