Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT CalifOregon for my 60th OT

Comments

• Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 74
    Lots of great ideas. Here is one more for you, my wife and I did this last June for her 50th. You wanted hiking - it’s a 4.5 mile out and back to the top of Cascade Head just north of Lincoln City. Take a blanket and some snacks because you will want to stay awhile and soak it up. After your hike, head 30 minutes north to Pacific City and grab a couple beverages at Pelican Brewery. The brewery is right on the beach with surfing and this as your view. And to finish off your day, head south about 45 minutes to the Whale Cove Inn. It is an adults only 15 room hotel with every room having an ocean view. Whales gather in the cove. If you book early enough, the upper rooms have a private outdoor hot tub that has this view. Then you can head south and drink all the wine you can handle. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Gr_egger said:
    Lots of great ideas. Here is one more for you, my wife and I did this last June for her 50th. You wanted hiking - it’s a 4.5 mile out and back to the top of Cascade Head just north of Lincoln City. Take a blanket and some snacks because you will want to stay awhile and soak it up. After your hike, head 30 minutes north to Pacific City and grab a couple beverages at Pelican Brewery. The brewery is right on the beach with surfing and this as your view. And to finish off your day, head south about 45 minutes to the Whale Cove Inn. It is an adults only 15 room hotel with every room having an ocean view. Whales gather in the cove. If you book early enough, the upper rooms have a private outdoor hot tub that has this view. Then you can head south and drink all the wine you can handle. 
    @Gr_egger

This looks beautiful. We are booking the hotel as I type.

Thank you!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 74
    Hope you have a wonderful birthday trip!
  • YukonRon
    Gr_egger said:
    Hope you have a wonderful birthday trip!
    Thank you very much, we will. We enjoy the PNW, about as much as anyplace we have ever been. Can't wait for this.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    We spent a few days running around Point Arena to Mendocino last year.  Here's some of things we saw and liked:

Point Arena lighthouse

view from the lighthouse was pretty good (pretty quick tour)

Stopped at the B Bryan Animal Preserve for an afternoon feeding.  It was interesting to see some animals up close and feed the giraffe:

Bowling Ball beach (need to take a short hike and be there at low tide to see these rocks exposed.  Trail is kind of steep down to the beach.):

If you find yourself around Calistoga, the Castello di Amorosa winery (http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/) is interesting to see.  I'm not much of a wine drinker so I can't vouch for their wine.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Thought you were much younger... huh...

if youd you’d like any help with specific wineries, please don’t hesitate to reach out. 

And happy birthday, sir!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• YukonRon
    edited March 2018
    R2Egg2Q said:
    We spent a few days running around Point Arena to Mendocino last year.  Here's some of things we saw and liked:

Point Arena lighthouse

view from the lighthouse was pretty good (pretty quick tour)

Stopped at the B Bryan Animal Preserve for an afternoon feeding.  It was interesting to see some animals up close and feed the giraffe:

Bowling Ball beach (need to take a short hike and be there at low tide to see these rocks exposed.  Trail is kind of steep down to the beach.):

If you find yourself around Calistoga, the Castello di Amorosa winery (http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/) is interesting to see.  I'm not much of a wine drinker so I can't vouch for their wine.

We had been here previously, and it is part of the reason we are returning. Calistoga is one of my most favorite wine areas. CdA wine has been on our shelves before, and we enjoyed their Super Tuscans and others. Great wines with great food.
    Point Arenas is beautiful. One could just spend a day there watching the ocean, and the day would not be wasted in doing so.
    Aside from the ocean waves, and the occasional logging truck, that has got to be one of the quietest places I have been, outdoors.
    I think that is where the San Andreas Fault runs out to the Pacific. 
    Loved that area.
    Thank you for sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Thought you were much younger... huh...

if youd you’d like any help with specific wineries, please don’t hesitate to reach out. 

And happy birthday, sir!
    @MaskedMarvel
    Just an old hippie, but thank you for the kindness.
    I like to consider myself as a learning oenophile, however, most that know me,
    call me a wino.
    It fits. I am left with no chance at rebuttal.
    This is what I do know about vino: The best wine I ever had is wine shared amongst friends.
    My Beautiful Wife and I have been traveling to Northern California for years. I am probably there more due to work and some projects I have going on.
    I know a little about the wine country there, with my faves in Napa being Rutherford and points north, however there are several, south of those areas, I enjoy immensely as well.
    I am always willing to learn, and please do share your insight on places to go. I am not an expert by any means. 
    We will be looking for Cab Francs this trip when in California, and Pinot Noirs in Oregon. Sad to say, but I know more about Burgundy in France (not much), than I do about the great Pinots, Oregon is famous for.
    We will always buy a great wine when we get a chance to try it.
    So please share any insight you may have, Suzanne and I would be most appreciative.
    Thank you for the offer. We will take it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    GrillSgt said:
    What a great thread. 
    I agree completely.  I love threads like this.  Our 2018 vacations are planned out, but we are definitely already thinking about 2019, and these threads are gold mines for ideas and plans!

Thanks Ron - we'll expect lots of photos at the end of the trip, and happy milestone this year!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YukonRon
    Acn said:
    GrillSgt said:
    What a great thread. 
    I agree completely.  I love threads like this.  Our 2018 vacations are planned out, but we are definitely already thinking about 2019, and these threads are gold mines for ideas and plans!

Thanks Ron - we'll expect lots of photos at the end of the trip, and happy milestone this year!
    @Acn
    Will do. We will keep a steady communication moving forward to everyone, however, once the wine tasting begins, no guarantees on logical posts.
    My Beautiful Wife absolutely loves travel, and I am a good travel partner. She ultimately will put this trip together, but I keep sending any and all data sent our way.
    Thank you for the kind wishes, hope I make it. I would absolutely hate to put all this together and have something come up where we can't make it.
    And we are making plans for 2019.
    Life is good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    One of the most impressive wineries we have ever been to is Kathryn Hall's Rutherford estate.

http://www.hallwines.com/visit/winery-experiences/private-wine-experiences/chandelier-room

It is expensive, but well worth the price. The cave is made with bricks from Austrian castles (She was ambassador to Austria), filled with artwork, and the wine root shaped chandelier has 1500 Swarovski crystals. The wines are spectacular, and many are small production that can't be found elsewhere. There is a tasting room on Highway 29, but that only has the higher production wines. 

I just wish I could afford to go more often!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • YukonRon
    Yno said:
    One of the most impressive wineries we have ever been to is Kathryn Hall's Rutherford estate.

http://www.hallwines.com/visit/winery-experiences/private-wine-experiences/chandelier-room

It is expensive, but well worth the price. The cave is made with bricks from Austrian castles (She was ambassador to Austria), filled with artwork, and the wine root shaped chandelier has 1500 Swarovski crystals. The wines are spectacular, and many are small production that can't be found elsewhere. There is a tasting room on Highway 29, but that only has the higher production wines. 

I just wish I could afford to go more often!
    @Yno
    I totally agree, it is one of my favorites. Her wines have been in my wine rack in the cellar on more than one occasion.
    Hall is a wine that most use as a barometer for quality. I certainly understand why.
    My Beautiful Wife's sister is also with the foreign service and has worked in posts, in SA, Europe and Africa, her next post is Rome.
    She too will be getting into wine upon retirement, but will stay in Europe either in Bordeaux or Tuscanny. We may join them, who knows.
    I will be making my pilgramage and will sacrifice many franklins upon Hall's alter of wine.
    Thank you for sharing. It is the stop everyone needs to make. Plus it is relatively close to The Rutherford Grill, one of my favorite places for a meal while in Napa.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • You could also go "Wiking" - Hiking and Wine tasting tours are a big thing in Oregon. The Rouge river tour is amazing: https://wildrogue.com/product/4-day-wiking-wine-hike-lodge-to-lodge-trip/ 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    You could also go "Wiking" - Hiking and Wine tasting tours are a big thing in Oregon. The Rouge river tour is amazing: https://wildrogue.com/product/4-day-wiking-wine-hike-lodge-to-lodge-trip/ 
    @HoustonEgger
    I have an appreciation of your thought process.
    That looks like a fun time, but I think this particular company does June and September only, and we will be there after the June dates, and before the September dates, unfortunately. This will be something I am sure we will do the next time out, and thank you so much for sharing a very cool idea.
    I will look into it further, to see if there are others available for our time frame.
    Our workhas much to do with our time off, and I wish I could facilitate this excursion.
    We are thinking about doing the Mt. Helena trail, where Robert Louis Stevens spent some time, and actually used that mountain as the backdrop to the mountain in Treasure Island.
    It takes you to a couple wineries along the way, I have been told.
    I do want to work your idea in somehow, some way, somewhere.
    Thank you agsin, I appreciate the idea.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon said:
    You could also go "Wiking" - Hiking and Wine tasting tours are a big thing in Oregon. The Rouge river tour is amazing: https://wildrogue.com/product/4-day-wiking-wine-hike-lodge-to-lodge-trip/ 
    @HoustonEgger
    That looks like a fun time, but I think this particular company does June and September only, and we will be there after the June dates, and before the September dates, unfortunately. This will be something I am sure we will do the next time out, and thank you so much for sharing a very cool idea.
    I will look into it further, to see if there are others available for our time frame.
    Our workhas much to do with our time off, and I wish I could facilitate this excursion.
    We are thinking about doing the Mt. Helena trail, where Robert Louis Stevens spent some time, and actually used that mountain as the backdrop to the mountain in Treasure Island.
    Totally understand - a 4 day hiking trip is something to seriously plan for. 

I'm sure you could fit in a Rouge River Speed Boat Tour - https://www.roguejets.com/ They start in Gold Beach and are great for a 1 day excursion 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Come on over to the Lodi area. We have some great wine around here, my favorite is the Old Vine Zin's from 100+ year old vines.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    @HoustonEgger
    Totally understand - a 4 day hiking trip is something to seriously plan for. 

I'm sure you could fit in a Rouge River Speed Boat Tour - https://www.roguejets.com/ They start in Gold Beach and are great for a 1 day excursion 
    @HoustonEgger
    I am telling you, we are of the similar mind. We love white water, and this image is Team YukonRon, heading down, one of the highest rated, in difficulty, white water expeditions in Colorado, dead summer, water 44F from snow melt. This particular spot on the river is called the "guide ejector" and lives up to its name, typically by ejecting everyone, in the raft. We made it. We were one of three rafts that day, and were the only raft to have made the trip without being capsized or thrown. The water behind us was an 18' drop over a 10'  run, of which, when surviving the high velocity fall you had to negotiate through a space between boulders, with about 3 feet of spare room combined either side, for the raft to make it.
    Good times. Pucker Factor 10+. We were about 30 degrees tilted on axis here, in a flat bottom raft, cruising. Our guide was a pro, and had the most important seat in the raft, I was at the number two spot, which is diagonal to him, and worked my backside off. Helluva a ride. Will do it again. all we could do was laugh after making it.

We may indeed, look for whitewater, while there.

Thank you for the idea.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Now that's impressive.
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2018
    bud812 said:
    Come on over to the Lodi area. We have some great wine around here, my favorite is the Old Vine Zin's from 100+ year old vines.
    @bud812

I will tell you right now, some of the best Zins I have ever had were in Lodi.
    Last time I was there for work I was driving through the vineyards looking for a place to try some wine.
    Totally unpretentious, and great wine, are my favorite types of places. I pulled in to a place, a house with a metal pole barn in the back. The sign said free tastings.
    "If it is free you can count on me!" is one of my favorite sayings. 
    I knocked on the screen door to the house, where the sign was planted, and a gentleman, in full farmer regalia, answered the door.
    I asked him if the tastings were still going on, and after a big yawn, he confirmed that they were. He apologized, because he had dozed off about an hour ago, and was still trying to get his bearings.
    We went out back, and he unfolded an old nylon strap lawn chair, next to an old large cable spool, that had been left in the sun since it was placed in his back yard, and appeared to be dying of thirst.
    He went into the pole barn, and came out carrying 5 bottles of wine. Standing outside, after setting them on the table, he hollered for his wife to bring out some glasses and a cork screw.
    I sat with that lovely couple, drank a lot of wine, and had dinner with them that evening. 
    Without a doubt, that was the best wine tasting experience I have ever had anywhere.
    I bought a lot of their wine. The syrahs, and petit syrahs were awesome as well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Thank you for starting this post and everyone sharing their info.  My wife and I are heading to Napa in November.  We will be flying into SF and driving up to Napa.  Will be watching this post closely.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GrillSgt
    You would really enjoy the Central Coast then. Great wines and great people. I asked more than one winemaker how they could price their product like they had. The answer by several "the people that own this winery just want to make great wine, they have already made their money." Everyone should go to the wine ghetto on a nice Sunday afternoon. 19-20 boutique to small wineries with tasting rooms in the middle of an industrial park. Many bring in smokers and all pretty well put out a feast. It's in Lompoc. http://www.lompoctrail.com/
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Legume said:
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    The Sonoma/Northern Marin coast is fantastic.  Point Reyes Nat’l Seashore for hiking, you can backpack there, dayhike, whatever.  It’s dramatic, beautiful, largely unspoiled.

Point Reyes Station, Olema and Tomales Bay have some great wine, cheese, oysters, etc.  Plenty of small places to stay, eat, hang out, etc. 

Bodega Bay is great.  Day trip west across Sonoma through Sebastopol into Occidental is a great drive into a funky, hidden, still 3/4 hippy town with some great food.  Keep going and you're at the coast in Jenner where the river dumps into the sea, just north of Bodega Bay.  Not sure of the timing, but see if you can find fresh abalone around Bodega.  Unreal if you've never had it.
    @Legume
    RFO!!! We have done Point Reyes previously, and that is a definite return to for us. I will certainly add the suggestions and make it a couple of wonderful days. The last time we did was during the week, and the place was almost abandoned when we went. We did not see folks for miles.

Just checked with one of the Park Rangers we got to know while there, and there have been some collapses and cave ins around chimney rock, and others. some trails are still open while others are closed.

Thank you for the heads up. We will be on this trek.
    Ah, glad you know of it and like it.  One of my favorite areas.  As a boy scout in the '70s, we had at least one backpacking trip a year to Pt. Reyes.  When I married, my wife and I bought our first house in Novato in the early '90s, just inland from Pt. Reyes Station and Olema.  Loved it there.

Much further north, but Ft. Bragg and Eureka areas used to be great stops.  I suspect they've grown quite a bit, so I don't know what they're like now.  Fishing/logging towns.
    That house is now valued at $3 mil Lmao 
  • BYS1981
    I tried several times to get a reservation at French Laundry - you gotta try at like 0001 and 60 days out.

Or, and this part is for other local Eggers too...

make a reservation for 8 folks, you have to pay in advance, but it is in a private room in the restaurant. I went there this way. 

Also so if you can’t get a reservation to FL, try his other place in napa.. I think buchon? My friend went there and said the helpings there are much more traditional and it is a good place.
  • BYS1981
    I was also think of Adhoc as the other restaurant. Check it out.
  • GrillSgt
    The best thing I have had at French Laundry is the cap de bouef. The same thing that is the best thing on this forum. The beef cap. I’m not a fan of this type of food. Not a Thomas Keller fan. I don’t need foam anything. I like more than a nibble of anything. 

And while we’re at it. Get Off My Lawn. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Bouchon is across the street and more real for me.  Not that I wouldn't like to take in the FL.  Just sayin'.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    BYS1981 said:
    I was also think of Adhoc as the other restaurant. Check it out.
    We are doing Mustard's, Adhoc, and likely the Rutherford. Should be pretty alright. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Have you ever been to Auberge du Soleil? It is one of our favorite places for lunch. Seated on the patio when the weather is good is a treat. You can look out over the valley, and occasionally see a raptor fly by quite close. Great food and a good wine list. I would like to stay there but a night is about my monthly mortgage payment... 
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • YukonRon
    No, but I have stayed at their properties in Calistoga, Aspen and Telluride. All are beyond excellent. They are expensive, but I will tell you this, nothing is left undone, or done to less than your total elation.
    One evening, I called down to the desk for a suggested location for dinner, they asked 5 questions.
    Called me back, in 15 minutes, had a car waiting for me, drove me to one of the best dinners I have ever had in my life, prepared just for me, just the way I liked it. The driver waited for me out front, and offered to take me anywhere I desired to go. 
    I went back to the room with a food coma.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Thank you for starting this post and everyone sharing their info.  My wife and I are heading to Napa in November.  We will be flying into SF and driving up to Napa.  Will be watching this post closely.
    I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me, so far.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky