Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pastrami

Options
Several local BBQ restaurants have gotten into pastrami lately, so i decided to give it a shot.   I started with a 12lb packer brisket from Costco.  Separated the flat and point, and trimmed most of the fat.  I used Alton Brown’s corned beef recipe for the brine/cure... the only difference being i subbed Prague Powder instead of saltpeter.  I then used the AmazingRibs.com pastrami recipe for the rub.  The AR instructions said to cook at 225 until the stall (150-160) then remove, refrigerate, and steam later.  I went ahead and cooked like a normal brisket to 190 IT.  It turned out pretty good. I think I’ll play with the rub recipe a little bit next time but everyone liked it.   I made some Ruben sandwiches piled up with the pastrami, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and deli mustard (should have done Russian dressing but i didn’t have the ingredients) all on fresh rye and grilled in pan.   I meant to take some pics of the sandwiches but the mouths couldn’t wait!

XL and Med Eggs
SW Houston, TX

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Looks fantastic! Great inspiration. Thanks for posting,I will be trying this very soon.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Man, that looks awesome! Gimme some of that on Rye with spicy mustard!
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    My mouth is watering right now and I'm a couple hours away from lunch! 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    March is pastrami month!  That looks awesome!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Awesome job.   usually just cheat and take a packaged corn beef, soak it in water for a few days, put on a good pastrami rub and cook it like a brisket.  I will be doing two for St Pat's day in a few weeks. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    :clap:
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    that is some awesome looking pastrami - looks really tender, and nice amount of fat strip and marbling.  bet it was great!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Looks great. I’ve been struggling with the bark on mine lately. The first few I did had a good dark bark like yours but recently I haven’t gotten it. Did you wrap at all?
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • TexasCurt
    TexasCurt Posts: 67
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    Looks great. I’ve been struggling with the bark on mine lately. The first few I did had a good dark bark like yours but recently I haven’t gotten it. Did you wrap at all?
    No wrap.  I never wrap brisket, either. 
    XL and Med Eggs
    SW Houston, TX

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hmmm. Ok. I usually wrap the  pastrami at around 180 just to try and hold some moisture, and skip the steaming process. I’m sure that’s where my bark is coming undone. Just funny that the first ones were great, following the same process 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Great looking pastrami, I’m gonna be trying this next week
  • Cochon_Couyon
    Options
    Very nice. I don't wrap mine and just let them go till they probe like butter (200-205). I place in a foil pan and return to fridge after smoking till the next day, then cut off the size chunk i need and put it under pressure in an Instantpot  for 40 minutes-slice and serve.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • TexasCurt
    TexasCurt Posts: 67
    Options
    Very nice. I don't wrap mine and just let them go till they probe like butter (200-205). I place in a foil pan and return to fridge after smoking till the next day, then cut off the size chunk i need and put it under pressure in an Instantpot  for 40 minutes-slice and serve.

I may try that next time.  Do you separate the flat and the point?  Or smoke it whole?  I was concerned that doing it whole would not allow the curing agents to reach the middle.   I think it would remain more moist if i left it whole and trimmed less fat.  

XL and Med Eggs
    SW Houston, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That looks top notch, and is something I need to do. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Cochon_Couyon
    Options
    TexasCurt said:

I may try that next time.  Do you separate the flat and the point?  Or smoke it whole?  I was concerned that doing it whole would not allow the curing agents to reach the middle.   I think it would remain more moist if i left it whole and trimmed less fat.  

I cheat and buy the pre-cured ones at Costco that are pre-seperated and packaged. I just get the best of each end in the pile and soak them in water for 2 days, pouring off the water every 12 hours. Then I season it (FRESH cracked coriander is key) and refrigerate for a day-then smoke-then pressure steam the next day. Terrible pic but the only one I have 
    Baton Rouge, LA