Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket cook advice (troubleshoot)

Gravytrain84
Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
so I cooked my first brisket last night/today. It was a 12# prime packer from Costco that I put on at 10pm last night and it cooked until 11am today at 250. Once the probe reached 195, I started spot checking with thermopen and I was getting readings from 185-205 with the majority of the flat feeling like “butta”. I then pullled it, let it cool 30 min, then let it rest In foil for an hour. Fast forward to noon and I begin to slice the cow up... it looked and smelt heavenly but the majority of the flat was fairly tough and dry despite having excellent flavor. 

So my question is.... did I over or under cook? I’m trying to troubleshoot so my next Brisket is better. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I would guess over cooked a bit. Start the probe earlier next time but I bet the point was nice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • You’re right about that, the point was delicious. 
  • If any part was 185 you were under. If it were over, it would have fallen apart when you sliced it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    My results are in line with what Cen-Tex says.

My suggestion is don't be discouraged - may have been the cow. Do you know what your internal temp was when you sliced it? I have had the best results when slicing in the 140-150 IT range. I have followed the exact same process as you described and I've had some turn out like that too. It seems that more often, I am satisfied with the results when using this method.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If there were some non-buttah parts of the flat, I would say undercooked.   But I would think an hour of foil would fix that.  Usually overcooked is not tough at all, but seems "dry" as the gelatin and fat are rendered out.
  • If there were some non-buttah parts of the flat, I would say undercooked.   But I would think an hour of foil would fix that.  Usually overcooked is not tough at all, but seems "dry" as the gelatin and fat are rendered out.
    Over cooked would crumble as it’s being cut, right? This one didn’t crumble at all. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    I'm with the undercooked crowd-and your comment about over-cooked crumbling is close to how it acts.  
    BTW-someone made a good point about "the feel".  Since the point is just along for the ride, has a much higher fat content and its temperature doesn't matter, when you probe the point and get that "smooth as buttah" feel then you will know what to look for with the flat.
    It is not uncommon for the thinnest end of the flat to turn out on the dry side.  I generally foil protect it for the first several hours of the cook but that doesn't guarantee a different outcome.  As long as the bulk of the flat is "there" then you are good to go.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Appreciate the info. I guess it’ll just take practice to learn the feel and right timing. Take a look at where my probe was, should it have been more towards the flat?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Looks like you were in the flat.  Sometimes the probe can end up in a fat pocket.  Had a brisket cook last week where that happened.  The cook was progressing at warp-speed.  Moved the probe and things returned to normal.  You were right to confirm the feel with your thermopen.
    Always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook."  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.