Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE guy here

Hey everyone. I just got my first BGE (a large) a week ago after heavily debating between a large or xl. I have a wife 2 kids and myself but do have a somewhat large extended family. Figure I will buy another BGE in 6 months to a year and get either another large or maybe a medium or MM. So far I’ve cooked burgers, chicken and grilled corn. Planning on doing my 1st low and slow Saturday night. Bought a 12lb brisket. I also just bought a PSWoo with extension shelf from the Ceramic Grill Store that is arriving today. I guess that’s the advantage of being in North Texas because delivery takes 1 day. I bought the kit so I have the nest,mates,plate setter and already have a couple pizza stones and an igrill 2. Does anyone have any other recommendations for accessories to get? Also any advice for cooking a brisket for 1st time? I have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I’ve cooked a dozen or so briskets in so I feel like I can take in the challenge. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Nice setup. Welcome to the madness.
    Mountain View, CA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Welcome! Lot's of great stuff here
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Sounds like you've mapped out a great plan of attack.
    Welcome and enjoy!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Haha. Yeah that was after lugging it out of the back of my truck and into the house to get to the back porch. I wasn't about to try and drag it around the side of the house since we have practically had monsoon's here daily for the last week or so.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Welcome to the forum, neighbor.  You'll find this is a great group full of helpful folks. 

Since you've done brisket before this won't be much different, but hopefully easier and a better product!  Don't overthink it, give yourself plenty of time, and go till it 'probes like buttah' (near 200 deg IT). 

As for other accessories, there are plenty of options but you've already got the usual first CGS purchase out of the way.  Btw, if you're in the area it is nice to visit their shop in Denton.  Otherwise, I got a SMOBOT a few months ago, and it's been great for long overnight cooks but by no means necessary.  Then at some point after lurking on this forum long enough you will get the urge to buy a Blackstone griddle.  At least that's what happened to me.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Welcome aboard!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Welcome aboard!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited February 2018
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Regarding brisket, I have not cooked on a WSM but in addition to not needing to add lump (load up into the fire ring), the BGE only needs an air-gapped drip pan.  Beyond that I would guess the process is likely much the same.  FWIW-
    Edit:  if the brisket is initially too long you can lay it over a fire brick or compress to fit until shrinkage takes over.  Regardless, make sure any part that overhangs your heat deflector is foil protected.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.  You have a pretty cool wife to let you use your egg in the house...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited February 2018
    Welcome aboard. My advice would be to let the egg come to your desired temp and stabilize for an hour before you put the brisket on. Then don’t chase the temps around by trying to adjust up or down. Trust your settings. 
    Edit: Just saw you have an iGrill, so you’re good to go there. Welcome, and post pics!
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Mty advice is to not listen to, or read anything from, anyone in this forum, about purchasing anything, or say goodbye to your retirement savings.

I have spent close to $90K, thus far on BGE related items. Be prepared to spend huge.

The initial purchase of the BGE, is the least expensive exercise in owning a BGE.

As far as cooking, there are the best of the best here. You will learn so much from them.

Small price to pay for the lifestyle, and worth every penny.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Welcome.... Enjoy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2018
    @TEXASBGE2018 Welcome aboard. Since it is your money a good investment is a good temperature thermometer. I like the Pop or thermapen. Sold by Click here. Also there is an eggfest coming up April 14 in Athens, TX. It is a blast for eggheads.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I understand the enthusiasm, but I agree with the others who say test drive it for a while first and then you'll figure out what you want and/or need. Welcome aboard!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Thanks everybody! I will try and post some pics of the process. I figure ill put the meat on around Midnight on Sat Night to be done sometime between 10am-2PM Sunday depending on how this ol' cow wants to play the game. I agree with kinda test driving the BGE for a bit. I've been reading these forums for a couple months prior to buying the egg which is why I went ahead and ordered the PSWoo with Extension. I have a feeling my wallet will be much lighter over the next few years. Oddly enough though, my wife is cool with it all. I guess I have a pretty awesome wife.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited February 2018
    YukonRon said:
    Mty advice is to not listen to, or read anything from, anyone in this forum, about purchasing anything, or say goodbye to your retirement savings.

I have spent close to $90K, thus far on BGE related items. Be prepared to spend huge.

The initial purchase of the BGE, is the least expensive exercise in owning a BGE.

As far as cooking, there are the best of the best here. You will learn so much from them.

Small price to pay for the lifestyle, and worth every penny.

Good advice right there.  I went 12 years with a large and a small BGE, a plateseter for the large, a thermopen and three fire bricks.  That was it and I was happy.

Then last summer, I started reading this site.  I hadn't realized all the stuff I 'needed'.  

Since then, I've added a large PSwoo combo, a pswoo and stone for the small, 2 Griswold CI skillets, a Lodge CI Dutch oven, a SMOBOT (and a case for the SMOBOT)  I have switched from $15 a bag lump to $25 a bag lump. I'm planing on a second SMOBOT for the small BGE and I'm jonesing for one of @Tspud1's tables,  so I'm guessing that will happen as well.  

Additional, my pantry no longer has room for anything - it is packed with various dry-rubs.  I had to buy Aaron Franklin's book and I'm planning a trip to Austin to try his brisket.  And it goes on and on... 

Hold onto your wallet and have fun. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2018
    Welcome. All great advice above. Check the tightness of your top and bottom band bolts in the back...and never push your Egg, always pull it when moving it.

Don'y wait till Midnight.
    Fire up your Egg, with all the ceramics in place at 7pm, full load of lump up to top of fire ring. Bring up to temp slow and let it stabilize at you desired temp for an hour. It will burn very little lump with this extra time. Dial in 220-240 as it rests in sweet spot temp for your Egg. Quickly, with high temp gloves, lift out your Woo and stone and add 3-4 wood chunks, replace Woo and stone. Give it 15-30 minutes and toss on Brisket. Leave vent setting alone as it will take some time for temp to flatten back out but your fire did not change. Don't chase it. It will finish early, pull it off rest on wire rack for 10 minutes or so, wrap in heavy duty foil, wrap in towel (to protect cooler from warping unless you have Yeti etc..) and cooler the Brisket till lunch.
    It will stay hot enough many hours. Don't make yourself rush if you don't have to. Cook some appetizers while your brisket is resting, or take a nap.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ya I plan on lighting the Egg at around 9pm-10pm to let it get to temp and stabilize a couple hours while I trim the brisket, put the rub on and come close to room temp. Then actually put the meat on around Midnight. I do have a question about putting foil under any parts not covered by the plate setter. Do you just lay the foil underneath the brisket or is there any trick to it?

• Good advice right there.  I went 12 years with a large and a small BGE, a plateseter for the large, a thermopen and three fire bricks.  That was it and I was happy.

Then last summer, I started reading this site.  I hadn't realized all the stuff I 'needed'.  

Since then, I've added a large PSwoo combo, a pswoo and stone for the small, 2 Griswold CI skillets, a Lodge CI Dutch oven, a SMOBOT (and a case for the SMOBOT)  I have switched from $15 a bag lump to $25 a bag lump. I'm planing on a second SMOBOT for the small BGE and I'm jonesing for one of @Tspud1's tables,  so I'm guessing that will happen as well.  

Additional, my pantry no longer has room for anything - it is packed with various dry-rubs.  I had to buy Aaron Franklin's book and I'm planning a trip to Austin to try his brisket.  And it goes on and on... 

Hold onto your wallet and have fun. 

I can attest having eaten at Franklins that it is the best BBQ I've ever had. Currently I am working down the list of the top 50 best bbq stops in Texas. Texas Monthly Magazine has a list they put out every couple years. Franklins has been 1 or 2 for about the last 5 years. I still gotta try Snow's in Lexington....I Better get on that...

• Photo Egg
    edited February 2018
    Ya I plan on lighting the Egg at around 9pm-10pm to let it get to temp and stabilize a couple hours while I trim the brisket, put the rub on and come close to room temp. Then actually put the meat on around Midnight. I do have a question about putting foil under any parts not covered by the plate setter. Do you just lay the foil underneath the brisket or is there any trick to it?

I use a disposable pan as a drip pan. Smash or cut down the sides and form it to fit.
    I don't wrap or cover anything else. I use a small spacer or rolled up foil as a spacer to rest pan so it's not sitting directly on stone or platesetter.

https://www.amazon.com/DOBI-30-Pack-Chafing-Pans-Disposable/dp/B073Z1CZ4G/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1519769195&sr=8-5&keywords=foil+pans

DOBI 30-Pack Chafing Pans - Disposable Aluminum Foil Steam Table Deep Pans Half Size - 9quot x 13quot
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Awesome. I might try that then. I think I have a couple of those size pans laying around somewhere.

• Photo Egg
    Ya I plan on lighting the Egg at around 9pm-10pm to let it get to temp and stabilize a couple hours while I trim the brisket, put the rub on and come close to room temp. Then actually put the meat on around Midnight. I do have a question about putting foil under any parts not covered by the plate setter. Do you just lay the foil underneath the brisket or is there any trick to it?
    The lids, flipped over, also make great throw away drip pans for smaller cooks.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Wrap that foil around the thin part of the flat for several hours into the cook regardless of whether exposed or not.  You want to slow down the cook.  When to pull is a crap-shoot.  I missed (based on the outcome by a few hours early) a few days ago.  But the significantly great majority was a home-run.  
    Likely about the same challenges you faced with your WSM.  
    Brisket mantra-"The friggin cow drives the cook."  Always keep at the forefront.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I would recommend the Smokeware cap.
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • This is how the grilled chicken turned out. I’ve never had grilled chicken this awesome at home. Juicy and Smokey. Took off at 160 and let rest 10min.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Howdy and welcome :)

You'll want to get the 2nd large earlier than the planned 6 months. You can thank me later.

What part of TX btw?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I would like to recommend a Nest Handler. It ‘completes’ your egg.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.