Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Once again...Zero bark...Frustrated

Options
13»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This can't be real.  Bark on a butt with any experience.  Flyovercountry flavor.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Crockpot butts is the only explanation. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I think you're fvckin with us.  I don't understand how you could *not* get a bark after 5 years.
    There you go...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Can someone please show that blonde half-foiled dog-ugly butt again?  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Are you currently or were you ever a member of the Navy?  Although @lousubcap and @CTMike have overcome that disability to become great BBQ cookers, I figured that might be one unsaid hurdle that you can’t quite navigate.  Good luck and Go Army, Beat Navy (again) 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    slovelad said:
    From what you’ve posted - the first thing that comes to
    mind is: are you opening the lid a lot? Maybe that could be venting surface temps that could be  cooling the surface?

my bark is usually dramatic...

@MaskedMarvel unveil your secrets... that stuff is amazing 
    Thanks - after years of changing one thing and trying new stuff, I feel pretty dialed in. 

My butts ALWAYS go in frozen solid.

I score the fat cap in a diamond pattern with a sharp knife. Then rub over it with cheap yellow mustard to cover. Then LIBERALLY apply the rub. Rub is black pepper and garlic salt with lots of brown sugar. Occasionally I’ll make a spicy butt and add cayenne And paprika. 

Set the frozen hunk over the PS legs up. No water bath. No drip pan. (This is my most recent change, previous drip baths held 50/50 Beer and apple cider vinegar which worked great too)

225-250 over rockwood and hickory. Lots of wood. Lots. 

Next day day I FTC them when the bone releases, around 195-200. Serve BT bear clawing in the next 8 hours. 

We use the cheapest buns we can find, simple Cole slaw on top, and homemade vinegar sauce. Couldn’t be easier. People go ape for it. Very popular. 

Ill ll see if I can dig up some pics of the rub on the butts before they go into the egg. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    These aren’t my normal rub. But you get the general idea...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel I've had to put partially frozen butts on when I'm low on time, but that's funny you plan to put them on frozen solid.  I guess they're so forgiving it makes sense.   I've never noticed a difference in thawed vs frozen over here.   

Is the argument against it food safety related as it takes much longer to cross the 140 internal temp mark?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bradleya123
    Options
    This is the bark I get every time, I never foil.
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    trim the fat cap and then place fat cap down.  Barkstorm!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Dear OP, 
    You asked the exact same question last fall.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208380/mission-impossible-bark/p2
    A lot of people offered assistance. Did you try the things that were recommended? If you tried all of it and it’s still coming out badly, I’d recommend selling your egg and getting the pellet dropper that you really want. If you have indeed tried the things people have told you do already, then there’s really not much else to say at this point. Time to hang it up and move on. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    slovelad said:
    From what you’ve posted - the first thing that comes to
    mind is: are you opening the lid a lot? Maybe that could be venting surface temps that could be  cooling the surface?

my bark is usually dramatic...

@MaskedMarvel unveil your secrets... that stuff is amazing 
    Thanks - after years of changing one thing and trying new stuff, I feel pretty dialed in. 

My butts ALWAYS go in frozen solid.

I score the fat cap in a diamond pattern with a sharp knife. Then rub over it with cheap yellow mustard to cover. Then LIBERALLY apply the rub. Rub is black pepper and garlic salt with lots of brown sugar. Occasionally I’ll make a spicy butt and add cayenne And paprika. 

Set the frozen hunk over the PS legs up. No water bath. No drip pan. (This is my most recent change, previous drip baths held 50/50 Beer and apple cider vinegar which worked great too)

225-250 over rockwood and hickory. Lots of wood. Lots. 

Next day day I FTC them when the bone releases, around 195-200. Serve BT bear clawing in the next 8 hours. 

We use the cheapest buns we can find, simple Cole slaw on top, and homemade vinegar sauce. Couldn’t be easier. People go ape for it. Very popular. 

Ill ll see if I can dig up some pics of the rub on the butts before they go into the egg. 

Frozen solid def gives you a great smoke rings and max time for bark development. 
    GoooDawgs said:
    @MaskedMarvel I've had to put partially frozen butts on when I'm low on time, but that's funny you plan to put them on frozen solid.  I guess they're so forgiving it makes sense.   I've never noticed a difference in thawed vs frozen over here.   

Is the argument against it food safety related as it takes much longer to cross the 140 internal temp mark?
    I’ve never heard that argument. I try to keep ALL smoked meats as low and as slow as I can for smoke ring. Surface temp definitely gets over 140 quickly. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Can harmful bacteria survive in the danger zone if it is a smoke heavy environment?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Thanks @Carolina Q that makes sense to me.  Egg on!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great explanation @Carolina Q
    Phoenix 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    That butt looks steamed, not smoked. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Can harmful bacteria survive in the danger zone if it is a smoke heavy environment?
    As far as I know, yes.  What kills them is the heat and moisture loss on the surface.

If they didn't, smoking cigs would be a cure for Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus species, Staphylococcus aureus and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. 

Options
    As far as I know, yes.  What kills them is the heat and moisture loss on the surface.

If they didn't, smoking cigs would be a cure for Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus species, Staphylococcus aureus and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. 

Encouraging news:

Huber et al., (6) reported that the addition of marijuana smoke to pulmonary alveolar macrophage cultures resulted in the suppression of the bactericidal capacity for Staphylococcus albus and recently we reported (7) a similar finding in THC treated peritoneal macrophage cultures infected with Legionella pneumophila. Regarding drug effects on challenge infections, Bradley et al., (8) reported an enhanced susceptibility of mice to combination injections of THC and living or killed gram-negative bacteria and Morahan et al., (9) reported similar findings in a murine infection model with Listeria monocytogenes

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Image result for stoned gif