Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Pressure Brisket

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited February 2018 in EggHead Forum
Found a small stubby brisket in the sale pile.
Just under 10 pounds and $1.69 pound.
So if it sucks I'm only out 16 dollars.lol

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    Great score.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
    BTW- must be the "boneless" aspect that drove down the price ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You didn't factor in the price of rub and lump. I consider all else with a sense of skepticism... 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    That's funny... I never noticed the boneless part on the label.
    I really think this is a bust cook. I had to use 2 hands to push in the temp probe. Ha Ha
    Tough hunk of cow.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Score and the best cook, relaxed !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My best cooks have been the ones I didn't fuss over, so this will likely turn out good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
     I hope the low and slow cook relaxes and tenderizes the brisket, otherwise you may wish that you made brisket burgers or chili meat.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
     following this one.  curious how the <10 pounders behave compared to the bigger packers.  Did you follow the,  "If it's select,  make sure you inject rule?"   (just made that up,  but it sounds right!)
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
     following this one.  curious how the <10 pounders behave compared to the bigger packers.  Did you follow the,  "If it's select,  make sure you inject rule?"   (just made that up,  but it sounds right!)
    Lol, no injection. Just some cheap rub and Jack Daniels wood chunks.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    At 190 and probing nice but not nice enough.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Nice!  Nekked all the way
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Isn’t half the fun of cooking brisket fighting a panic attack or nervous breakdown for 12-24 hours??   ;)  What did you do with all your extra time?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Isn’t half the fun of cooking brisket fighting a panic attack or nervous breakdown for 12-24 hours??   ;)  What did you do with all your extra time?

Slept pretty well knowing it did not matter and was not part of a planned meal. Ha Ha
    200 in the thin flat and 195 in thicker parts and getting softer.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Looks really good, Darian!  It sure makes a difference not worrying about the outcome, but hoping for the best.  Can't wait to hear how it turns out!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Patience to the finish-line.  Once there give it a cooling rack rest (15-20 mins or until the temp starts down) to stop the carry-over cooking then FTC for a banquet down the road.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Pulled at 206, foiled and into foam cooler. Was only cooking at 220 dome at the end so no rest before foil. Still a couple spots that were not butter but hope a long rest in cooler will work it out.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Lookin good! =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Well, you may have just convinced me to try one more time. That looks worthy of Franklin's! I have done brisket three times. The first two were flats and were horrible, dried out garbage. The third was a Choice grade packer that turned out ok, but nothing to write home about. That had to be at least 5-6 years ago and in spite of the improvement, I haven't tried again.

That looks REAL good, my friend!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokeydawg
    Options
    Great looking brisket! Well done!
    Dacula, GA       LG & MM BGE's   
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What’d I tell ya?? Looks like you nailed it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    lousubcap said:
    I really think this is a bust cook. I had to use 2 hands to push in the temp probe. Ha Ha
    Tough hunk of cow.
    Well, if the above is  the end result of a bust cook then sign me up every time. Nailed it across the board.  Way to bring it home.
    I've gotta find me a cheap boneless brisket and only hope for such an outcome.  Congrats.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Photo Egg said:
    lousubcap said:
    Tough hunk of cow.
    Well, if the above is  the end result of a bust cook then sign me up every time. Nailed it across the board.  Way to bring it home.
    I've gotta find me a cheap boneless brisket and only hope for such an outcome.  Congrats.
    Thanks man, it is easier if you just don't care and it's not part of a planned meal. For select grade it surprised the hell out of me.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Gawjus picture above. Now relax and enjoy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks great! 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks absolutely delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That thing looks like the meat cutter took an extra 3-5 inches of the flat off. That is a diamond in the rough/major score because the point of brisket is the whole point of cooking a brisket to me. Excellent execution and finish! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • LiveToEat
    Options
    Reeeall nice Clark.  Love the Texas Brisket. Good work. 
    April 2015 XL ... My Eggsperience has just begun!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Talk about a sandbagger. (-:  Wow, that looks really fantastic!
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Very nice.... I need to try one
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"