Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charbroiled oysters on da egg

Options
This was my first time using the stainless shell but they turned out incredible! Just as good as using regular oyster shells IMO

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Looks good. I love chargrilled oysters. Drago's in New Orleans is a favorite.
    I like the stainless steel shells, but they are a little expensive. I would need at least 3 dozen of them.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    And Cajun with any self respect would never be caught cooking oysters on fake, stainless shells.lol
    But I'm from MN so I think they are great. Ha Ha
    Beautiful photos as well!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I agree "Photo Egg" about the stainless shells, but I've always wanted to buy the shucked oysters to save time. It takes me a long time to open 3 dozen oysters. I've never had the shucked kind in a container. I wonder if they have the same flavor.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    The flavors the same. I eat them at the camp in grand isle all the Time on regular shells and these are just as good. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    GregW said:
    I agree "Photo Egg" about the stainless shells, but I've always wanted to buy the shucked oysters to save time. It takes me a long time to open 3 dozen oysters. I've never had the shucked kind in a container. I wonder if they have the same flavor.
    I think the flavor of pre shucked ones will depend on how fresh they are. I think the ones sold to the masses are pasteurized to increase shelf life. But char grilling them might mask them not being fresh out of the shell.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Job well done!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    What’s the benefit of using the metal trays? My dad does these all the time, and it could be a cool gift for him.

looks like they might allow more liquid to stand? Easier to scoop and eat out off? Fill me in please.

also where did you buy them?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    GregW said:
    I think the flavor of pre shucked ones will depend on how fresh they are. I think the ones sold to the masses are pasteurized to increase shelf life. But char grilling them might mask them not being fresh out of the shell.
    Pasteurized oysters are nasty.
    NOLA
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    I got them at rouses. But they can be bought online at sos shells. 

This is was my first time using them compared to regular oyster shells. They tasted the same to me and I’ve eaten them dozens of times. A few benefits vs regular shells were... no popping and cracking shells, deeper “bowl” to hold the butter/cheese better, they’re stainless and will last forever basically, and no more having to shuck those damn things! I buy a gallon freshly shucked and I’m done. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Count me in!  I can't shuck oysters faster than 1 per minute.  This sounds great!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yum! 

Mo garlic, mo butter= mo better :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Gravytrain84
    This was posted while I was offshore. However I have seen it now my friend. Charbroiled oysters automatically earn the DSOA. 

Awesome job :clap:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Awesome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I got them at rouses. 
    I’m swinging into our local Rouses (Biloxi) today to see if they sell them. Thanks for the heads up. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.