Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Double R Steaks

saluki2007
saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
edited February 2018 in EggHead Forum
I bought some bone in strips and bacon wrapped filets this past November when SRF had a BOGO promo going.  Been busy and haven't had the time to cook them up until last night.  Reverse seared to medium rare and served with balsamic glazed brussel sprouts.

Sorry no money shots of the filet, the wife was hungry.  This was my first time trying any beef from Double R or SRF and I have to say that for the money I wasn't overly impressed.  I feel like I get close to if not the same quality from local places.  I would still like to try their gold grade cuts sometime, but I will be waiting for a "deal" before I order any.  Thank for looking.

Feel free to hijack with your personal experiences with DR or SRF.
Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'm in the same boat as you.  They were good, but not to a point where I'm ready to take my clothes off and start streaking good.  

I'm intrigued over the blue thing on the sheet pan though.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    I'm in the same boat as you.  They were good, but not to a point where I'm ready to take my clothes off and start streaking good.  

@tarheelmatt I'm assuming you are talking about the third picture.  That is the pin that was used to hold the bacon to the steak.  I usually pull it out before I do the sear and that is where it ended up. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867

@tarheelmatt I'm assuming you are talking about the third picture.  That is the pin that was used to hold the bacon to the steak.  I usually pull it out before I do the sear and that is where it ended up. 
    Ahh.. okay.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Nailed the cook.  Congrats.
    I agree with your assessment regarding the steaks from SRF and RR.  I have not gone back down that road in a while.  Too easy to locally find close to comparable.  I may stray if they have a decent sale.  
    Now, for me where SRF shines is in the brisket cut.  I cannot find anything close to it locally and other on-line suppliers that I have found are more pricy. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Love it. The brussels are a staple at our home. Well done indeed. I pitch the bacon immediately after unpacking. I just don't feel it brings any positives to the show.
  • saluki2007
    Love it. The brussels are a staple at our home. Well done indeed. I pitch the bacon immediately after unpacking. I just don't feel it brings any positives to the show.
    I left the bacon on for the roasting part of the cook.  I don't mind eating par cooked bacon, but my wife likes her on the cusp of burnt.  Hard to get the inner side of the bacon cooked on a steak so I just end up eating it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Good looking marbling on that steak though. Sorry it wasn’t up to expectation. 
  • saluki2007
    lousubcap said:
    Nailed the cook.  Congrats.
    I agree with your assessment regarding the steaks from SRF and RR.  I have not gone back down that road in a while.  Too easy to locally find close to comparable.  I may stray if they have a decent sale.  
    Now, for me where SRF shines is in the brisket cut.  I cannot find anything close to it locally and other on-line suppliers that I have found are more pricy. FWIW-
    I bought some of the briskets during the sale too, however, they were of the "lower" tier.  Hopefully will be able to give those a test here shortly.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have found the RR Porterhouse steaks (when you can get them on sale) are worth the price of admission. I will purchase them from time to time.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sure looks good from here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Well, your steak photos look better than the ones on their web site...Beautiful
    https://www.agribeef.com/exceptional-beef/double-r-ranch/
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • They look amazing but I'm with you - for the money I'm sure about the hype

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• I agree with Saluki 2007's assessment of SRF, and will not purchase from them again.  I like E3 and 44 Farms both have sold me good tender tasting beef.  Had a 44 Farm filet last night and it was delectable. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I agree with Saluki 2007's assessment of SRF, and will not purchase from them again.  I like E3 and 44 Farms both have sold me good tender tasting beef.  Had a 44 Farm filet last night and it was delectable. 
    You should re-read the above assessment. He said he purchased brisket from their lower tier. Meaning he did not buy their top of the line Gold briskets.
    He never said their stuff was not good. Sorry you were unhappy with yours.
    My past orders have been good but expensive.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I have tried quite a few cuts from RR and SRF as well as a few other online companies. BOGO def gets my attention and that's the only way that i'll pull the trigger anymore. Our faves have been from the SRF side but have stayed with the "black" grade for the majority. I had never heard of any of these companies before i discovered this forum so i guess i went on this little quest to see the very best beef that i could get my hands on. My freezer is full and i will likely buy again with the right sale...but for the most part once all of the online meat is gone...i think that i'm gonna cut my own steaks from the whole prime cuts that i can get at Costco and Fresh Market. FOR THE MOST PART!!!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • BOGO def gets my attention and that's the only way that i'll pull the trigger anymore. 
    Agree.  Their BOGO sale is the only way I'm an SRF buyer now.  I've never been disappointed with any of their product; I have been unhappy with what I considered to be less than appealing "sale" offers, and the frequency with which they were hitting my inbox.  But a 2 for 1 on SRF tri tip and cap steaks was a deal I couldn't refuse.  I didn't load up, but got a couple of each and can't wait to cook them.  Special-event cooks to be sure!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • I love SRF brisket and the RR ground beef is excellent.  I have tried several steaks that I could have bought almost anywhere at 1/4 the price so not a fan there. I will say that I bought a gold strip loin for 50% off 2 years ago. I have never had a better steak in my life. That said, it was still $35lb ($550 for the loin if I remember right) at 50% off! I found a grass fed producer 5 miles form my house that I love so I've moved to their ground beef. Pretty much brisket for me at SRF. I've never found a better one anywhere (and I still have not tried  a gold). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • saluki2007
    I love SRF brisket and the RR ground beef is excellent.  I have tried several steaks that I could have bought almost anywhere at 1/4 the price so not a fan there. I will say that I bought a gold strip loin for 50% off 2 years ago. I have never had a better steak in my life. That said, it was still $35lb ($550 for the loin if I remember right) at 50% off! I found a grass fed producer 5 miles form my house that I love so I've moved to their ground beef. Pretty much brisket for me at SRF. I've never found a better one anywhere (and I still have not tried  a gold). 
    I have yet to have the pleasure of trying an SRF brisket, however, I do have 2 RR briskets in the freezer that I will be cooking up this weekend.  I too have a local farmer that I buy 1/4 cows from.  Have been very happy with the quality and price.  It's just always fun to try new stuff.  Isn't that why we are on this rock floating through space?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nailed that steak! Sorry to hear you were under whelmed for the price 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I'm just here to make sure @tarheelmatt keeps his clothes on. Killer looking steaks though. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    Yep, looks great.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Jeremiah said:
    I'm just here to make sure @tarheelmatt keeps his clothes on. Killer looking steaks though. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I bought some bone in strips and bacon wrapped filets this past November when SRF had a BOGO promo going.  Been busy and haven't had the time to cook them up until last night.  Reverse seared to medium rare and served with balsamic glazed brussel sprouts.

Sorry no money shots of the filet, the wife was hungry.  This was my first time trying any beef from Double R or SRF and I have to say that for the money I wasn't overly impressed.  I feel like I get close to if not the same quality from local places.  I would still like to try their gold grade cuts sometime, but I will be waiting for a "deal" before I order any.  Thank for looking.

Feel free to hijack with your personal experiences with DR or SRF.
    I'm right there with you on your assessment of their steaks. Not worth the cost when there are local alternatives that are just as good if not better.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• saluki2007
    Jeremiah said:
    Glad there is someone keeping tabs on that fuzzy. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL