Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lent starting Wednesday - so how about some recipes?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
My wife is Catholic, I'm not, but for 51 years now I have always honored her beliefs. The worst time for my menu scheduling is this first week with "fish something" on Wednesday and again "fish something" on Friday. I've penciled in "some shrimp something" on Wed and "white fish something" for Friday. Anybody got some "WOWSER" ideas for the weeks to come? TIA
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• What about a linguini with clam sauce Ron?  Or a pasta puttanesca?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Fish Fry at the church on Friday.......done!!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    All kinds of different ways to get around it with Pizza
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've had shrimp and grits on my mind for 2-3 weeks now. Would that work?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    caliking said:
    I've had shrimp and grits on my mind for 2-3 weeks now. Would that work?
    Works for me all day long.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Grilled whole porgy.  If you get it from Whole Foods, their fishmonger will gut and scale it for you .  Each fish is around 1#. Simple butter, garlic and some sprigs of fresh dill.  I cooked mine on a himalayan salt block.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited February 2018
    Our parish does a fish fry every Friday.  My parish in Houston also did a catfish Courtbouillon (sp?) on all Fridays as well. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2018
    Fire up the wok to 450-500 and do some shrimp curry with rice. 

Do salmon one night and use the leftovers/make aheads for salmon patties.   

Mediterranean fish in a pouch.   

I wish  I could get my wife to eat fish twice a week.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Shrimp fra Diavola, with freshly-made pasta.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Oh, and I have made Lobster fra Diavola for a Valentine before, but that much heat overpowering Boston's finest is kind of a waste.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Any of the above suggestions are grand. Here's a few more...Lobstah Rolls, Shrimp and Grits or maybe even Oysters Rockefeller.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Blackened catfish. Fish tacos. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Bean burritos!  Know that the last time I was a practicing Catholic, I was broke and in college...and no fan of fish.  Taco Bell was a Friday mainstay.  

Don’t judge!  This is a brainstorming session, right?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I recommend this so often maybe people are sick of hearing about it, but this is some of the best shrimp I've ever had.  It's so good I can't think of it as a lenten dish, where the point is self-restraint, self-denial, but if you want a great shrimp recipe for the grill, this sure is one: Gulf Coast Shrimp.
  • Pork is my spirit animal, so I won’t be much help here. 

But my buddy and I are going out in the am to slay some trout. May smoke some and do a dip. If we do ok I will post a recipe. 

I don’t know how the man in the phallic hat feels about frying baguette slices in bacon fat for dipping, but my Jesus approves.  ;););)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Potato pancakes or as I learned later on in life Layla’s were always a staple for us growning up firming lent.  I make them a couple of times a year now for nostalgia. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Pork is my spirit animal, so I won’t be much help here. 

But my buddy and I are going out in the am to slay some trout. May smoke some and do a dip. If we do ok I will post a recipe. 

I don’t know how the man in the phallic hat feels about frying baguette slices in bacon fat for dipping, but my Jesus approves.  ;););)
    Jesus doesn't care about what you eat or when you eat it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    Pork is my spirit animal, so I won’t be much help here. 

Jesus doesn't care about what you eat or when you eat it.
    Why is it some people can't be helpful within the guidelines of a situation, but feel compelled to criticize the guidelines themselves?  Ron's a great guy and has done a lot of good here, but instead of being constructive, you mock his bride's religious beliefs.  Mighty low gentlemen.

Ron, you can't go wrong with shrimp & salmon. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Some good old fashioned British beer-battered fish 'n' chips, way from healthy but darn tasty:

Needs deep frying, which I guess you could do in a DO in the Egg, I use a deep fat fryer.

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/02/10/beer-battered-fish-and-chips/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    edited February 2018
    My wife made this one evening for us. I thought she was nuts pairing an orange with the fish...

It was good...

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/orange-glazed-fish-fillets-500444#activity-feed
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My wife is less keen to observe Lenten food regs than I, because she officially "hates" fish. Her mother only ever served fish sticks. Myself, I always loved fish sticks, and better yet, tuna/noodle casserole.

I have, w. time gotten her to admit that good fish is OK. Salmon tartar, salmon patties made w. Sockeye, and shrimp scampi are OK w. her. Trout, also. Not fond of most white fish, but has enjoyed ceviche made w. cod and haddock.  She's enjoyed well made fried catfish, not made by me, 'cause I've never been good at deep frying.

One thing I came across a few years back is "Eggs in Purgatory." Crack a few eggs into a skillet of arabiatta sauce, and bake till they set up.

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Although it hardly feels like a sacrifice - crab cakes.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I love Pad Thai Shrimp or maybe it is shrimp Pad Thai.  Either way, I have never attempted to make it.  I order out from a Chinese restaurant.  I should look into it.  You have a wok?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I love this dish. I usually leave out the avocado, but It's great served with a wild rice blend and some asparagus.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pan-seared-tuna-with-avocado-soy-ginger-and-lime-recipe2-1915607

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    =)
    Image result for bloody mary with shrimp

shrimp tacos or a small shrimp scampi pasta plate. something small, your supposed to be fasting as well. i see nothing wrong with bloodymarys covered with shrimp though. as a side note, i dont think theres anything that says you must eat fish, a simple bowl of roasted veggies would work. its not a day to indulge in seafood ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Nothing to add to the above but thanks for the reminder as I will be working the every Lenten Friday fish fry at the VFW.  And yes I am well aware of the date for Good Friday.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    kl8ton said:
    I love Pad Thai Shrimp or maybe it is shrimp Pad Thai.  Either way, I have never attempted to make it.  I order out from a Chinese restaurant.  I should look into it.  You have a wok?
    They make Thai food at your Chinese restaurants?
  • kl8ton said:
    They make Thai food at your Chinese restaurants?
    In my area most Chinese restaurants are operated by Vietnamese. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That clears it up.