Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Grilled, Marinated Red Snapper

Options
2»

Comments

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    My favorite fish hands down. Went offshore fishing in the Bahamas and caught lots of Baracuda.  Turns out they are trash to eat but great bait for Red Snapper.  The first mate told me they use the Barracuda to fish for Red Snapper up to a 1/2 mile deep?  Wowwww. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    stv8r said:
    My favorite fish hands down. Went offshore fishing in the Bahamas and caught lots of Baracuda.  Turns out they are trash to eat but great bait for Red Snapper.  The first mate told me they use the Barracuda to fish for Red Snapper up to a 1/2 mile deep?  Wowwww. 
    Nice!  This was tasty.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @bgebrent- I suggest you get out (or continue to pound) some fine bourbon as this B'ball game is going down hill and accelerating.  May be a rough night given the earlier outcome.  There's always tomorrow and more of your team banquet groceries to crank out.  But it's not over-
    Now, if baseball then everyone gets 27 outs-here the clock is the final driver.  MLB Spring Training report dates are next week.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Paging @bgebrent .  You just need to put yesterday behind you.  There's bound to be a Calipari tweak right around the corner.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Saw on an episode of DDD Friday night that the throat meat on the red snapper is the best meat on the fish. Apparently it is fattier.  Most people just take the fillets and discard the head and that is a mistake. Easy to disect on a large fish, tough to do on a small but if cooking whole, have at it.  
    South Buffalo, New York
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice plate, indeed. All of it. 

What IT did you pull it off at? Have not egged whole fish much. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Another winner Brent. Looks great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    Options
    caliking said:
    Very nice plate, indeed. All of it. 

What IT did you pull it off at? Have not egged whole fish much. 
    IT of 155.  When cooking whole fish I just monitor the flesh by the bone through the slits to get opaque.  I don't always use the thermapen.  Thanks bro.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Outstanding once again.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great job.  Love snapper.  I have yet to try grilling the whole fish, but it's on my list of things to do.  (Damn list keeps getting longer instead of shorter)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    g8golfer said:
    You and N make a good culinary team.  Nice cook Brent!!
    My wife makes a mean bowl of cereal 
    My wife would burn cereal....Now, if you asked her to bake a pound cake or cookies you would be impressed, as I am each time!

if your a good cook, then your probably not a good baker...if your a good baker, your probably not a good cook..

Unless your a grandmother...grandmothers can cook and bake..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Wow, looks really good. Snapper looks real fresh.
    Thanks brother.  We have market here in town that gets crazy good variety of fresh fish.
    Which market are you referring to might I ask? Also - killer job on dinner!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• bgebrent
    Options
    Buford Highway Farmers Market.  It's an amazing place.  The fish market section is excellent.  You definitely should check it out.  It's less crowded on weekdays.fence0407 said:
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Wow, looks really good. Snapper looks real fresh.
    Thanks brother.  We have market here in town that gets crazy good variety of fresh fish.
    Which market are you referring to might I ask? Also - killer job on dinner!

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Great job! Fish and meal look good.
  • BEgging_To_Differ
    Options
    Its coming up on Snapper season here soon, I have to give this a try. Wouldn't have thought to cook one direct over the grate. Looks really good.