Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newish BGE oversized dome thermos

Options
I see BGE changed the size of the dome thermometers, this summer I believe. Anyone replaced theirs? I need to call my dealer to get the price. Bigger is better right?

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    kjs said:
    I see BGE changed the size of the dome thermometers, this summer I believe. Anyone replaced theirs? I need to call my dealer to get the price. Bigger is better right?
    Almost always
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    kjs said:
    Bigger is better right?
    Why? Beauty is in the eye, but I think the oversized thermos look, well, oversized. And what's the point? If you can't see it from a distance, just rotate it so the target tempt is at 12 o'clock. You can tell if it's on target from 50 yards away!

If I needed to replace mine, I'd just order the smaller size direct from TelTru. For half the price probably.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great advice from @Carolina Q.  Just make sure that when you rotate the thermo you pull it off the ceramic so you don't mess with the calibration.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great advice from @Carolina Q.  Just make sure that when you rotate the thermo you pull it off the ceramic so you don't mess with the calibration.  
    And trash the spring steel clip that holds it on. Gravity works nicely.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Take a look at the smokeware black face.  Oversized, looks good, has worked well for me
    Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Smokeware thermo is good alternative.  These new ones from BGE are pretty good though.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    To each his own, but the big over sized thermometers remind of the giant, gaudy azz earrings some women wear these days.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm going to politely disagree. The steel clip comes in handy when the stem gets in the way inside the dome 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I use a wine cork for that. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I think my soft plastic one on the right side is even older than your collection. Those were noted for having that plastic face fly off when hot!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    lousubcap said:
    I'm going to politely disagree. The steel clip comes in handy when the stem gets in the way inside the dome 

I use the clip for holding it in the pan of boiling water
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    kjs said:
    Bigger is better right?
    Why? Beauty is in the eye, but I think the oversized thermos look, well, oversized. And what's the point? If you can't see it from a distance, just rotate it so the target tempt is at 12 o'clock. You can tell if it's on target from 50 yards away!

If I needed to replace mine, I'd just order the smaller size direct from TelTru. For half the price probably.
    If you can read a 2” thermometer from 50yds, your eyesight is a helluva lot better than mine. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    kjs said:
    Bigger is better right?

If you can read a 2” thermometer from 50yds, your eyesight is a helluva lot better than mine. 
    Hyperbole perhaps?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut