Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron not getting clean in dishwasher-what setting to use?

Options
kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,429
Happy Friday!   
Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Nice thread choice.  I will be watching the more detailed responses.  Personally I use the hi-heat, high brush super agitating CI specific cycle.  F's it up every time. =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Need to season with high temp krylon
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I find that a nice salt water soak really cleans my cast iron well. The key is to let it air dry. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I do mine when I clean the guns.  
    https://youtu.be/iKjN7IIjh-E

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited February 2018
    Options
    O.K., since everyone else are being smart donkeys...  I will give you the truth,  which is that one needs to simply use an aerosol based oven cleaner and let the pan/skillet soak for a couple days.  What if one wants to cook while the skillet is soaking? 

Oh you simpletons...  Just buy more cast iron pans and alternate; some skillets soaking while one pan has been rinsed with chlorine bleach and seasoned with (IMPORTANT NOTE) synthetic motor oil.  Dino oil has a lower smoke point and will not create the carcinogenic flavors needed for upscale frying of road kill, etc.  Crank up the wife's oven to "CLEAN CYCLE" and stick the drenched in synthetic motor oil pan upside down for 12 hours.  Carefully remove the extremely hot and well seasoned skillet and immediately dunk in a five gallon bucket of ice water, this helps lock in the seasoning. 

I recommend one not using a dishwasher because dishwashers are not environmentally friendly, why?  Because they use lots of electricity and waste water.  For goodness sake, think of our children's futures and spray your pans to cleanliness vs dish washing.

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    You can also use parts washer solvent, then just toss into your burning fireplace to season . I do recommend gloves and or tongs for those of you who are pu$@ys and want keep the hair on your knuckles and eyebrows.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Grillinois
    Options
    Skip the high heat. Use brake cleaner spray. Takes anything off. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Great thread and one I’m totally an expert in. I soak mine for 2 days before scrubbing with a wire brush. Rinse lightly and air dry. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2018
    Options
    All my iron gets a minimum of 47 coats of Zaino.  Stuff is jet black mirror magical. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookingdude555
    Options
    For a true cast iron cleaning, I have heard that soaking it in urine (species not important) will do wonders. If your pan is small enough it can go directly in the toilet bowl for a few days. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Thanks I’ll give that a whirl. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just spray it with a can of black Rust-Oleum  when it gets nasty.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I clean my CI as soon as possible after every use.  I've never used any soap or chems, just hard running hot water and a stiff bristle brush.  Air dry and I'm good to go for the next time.  I do occasionally wipe it out after cleaning with canola oil.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    caliking said:
    Disposable CI is the way to go. Don't have to hassle with cleaning, seasoning, and all that cr@p.
    I just about spit coffee reading this.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    DMW said:
    Gotta be the high heat stuff. Otherwise, this is great advice and exactly what I do. And if you’re out of black, other colors work just as well. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

jeffwit said:
    DMW said:
    Gotta be the high heat stuff. Otherwise, this is great advice and exactly what I do. And if you’re out of black, other colors work just as well. 
    I like the Green the best.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Click Bait Winner
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Sandblasting works well. Make sure to use walnut shell media though, you wouldn't want to mess with the patina.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Psssh - you guys’ve got this all wrong..

just use a disposable aluminum pie pan inside the CI. 

Couldn’t be easier. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Copper scrub pad....heat up ci with water in it, boil the h20, use tongs to scrub it.  Rince with hot h20. Dry with towel and coat with veggie oil when its dry
  • jones2289
    Options
    You laugh, but a roommate's girlfriend put my grandma's old Wagner in the dishwasher when we were in college.  

Oddly enough, my roommate married the idiot!
    Indianapolis, IN
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I use the pots & pans setting like when I clean the platesetter and pizza stones.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    jones2289 said:
    You laugh, but a roommate's girlfriend put my grandma's old Wagner in the dishwasher when we were in college.  

Oddly enough, my roommate married the idiot!
    Probably didn’t marry her for her CI knowledge.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I would not have posted if I would have seen the more obvious Friday free for all thread by @Hans61
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I would not have posted if I would have seen the more obvious Friday free for all thread by @Hans61
    Mine was a bust, Saturday picked up a little. Some funny clips and some scenic gifs there now  :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Try the Ringer cast iron cleaner
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    that title just kills my soul a little bit...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga