Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's a buyer's market if you have confidence (balls) to get in right now.  I'm all in!!
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Market Timing 101, huh?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Never been a fan of all in at one time, rather would be all in over a long period of time. 
    Bought 1 stock yesterday that I have been watching for months, that's it
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    DCA and compounding go well with time in the market.  Up 272.95 at the moment....nice to see that some folks have confidence.  Happy Friday folks!!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited February 2018
    Depending on what you are looking at, not really a buyers market yet....some stocks maybe , but prime stuff ....Na...I've lost a huge chunk of value in two weeks but nothing in comparison to what value I've gained in the last few years....hey I know, lets all go in on Berkshire Hathaway
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Index guy myself. Always buying, never selling.
    Same.
    NOLA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    YEMTrey said:
    Market Timing 101, huh?
    Nothing wrong with buying on the dips but going big would be blood in the streets correction. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Even good stocks get drug down on bad days. Pick some with good dividends
  • RajunCajun
    Tspud1 said:
    Even good stocks get drug down on bad days. Pick some with good dividends

Ahh, he said dividends......the power of compounding divs....:)
  • Tspud1
    Even in a bad economy you have to turn the lights on ...to drink
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory."

"If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

-Sun Tzu
    I took a bite of the Apple today.  We’ll see.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I've had the chance to dump a single, sizable sum into my mutual funds (stocks) twice in my life; the market crashed within two weeks after, each time.  Granted, the market recovered both times, but I again have a chunk ready to invest, and once, just once in my miserable life, I'd like to watch the market crash and THEN invest, to watch it grow with an advantage.  
    The "experts" have been predicting a market correction since before the pres election; I don't think it's happened yet, even the huge drop two days ago.  
    Still watching.  And waiting.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Mutual funds are the worst thing that ever happened to our stock markets. There are more funds than individual stocks. To me the worst thing is I can identity a good stock in a stressed sector and it gets sucked down by all the funds that are sector focused. You can have a thriving company get beat up because the markets are plunging. 
  • RajunCajun
    Botch said:
    I've had the chance to dump a single, sizable sum into my mutual funds (stocks) twice in my life; the market crashed within two weeks after, each time.  Granted, the market recovered both times, but I again have a chunk ready to invest, and once, just once in my miserable life, I'd like to watch the market crash and THEN invest, to watch it grow with an advantage.  
    The "experts" have been predicting a market correction since before the pres election; I don't think it's happened yet, even the huge drop two days ago.  
    Still watching.  And waiting.  

I hear ya, man, loud and clear.  Sounds like my story of many moons ago.  I have learned that you can't really time the market....just do it when you are ready and don't look back....that has paid off for me on more than one occasion.  It's tax season and SEP time....pulling the trigger and pouring myself a beer.  Good luck!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    I am glad the markets are closed today. I need a break. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    @DoubleEgger

"Turn those machines back on!!!!"

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    YEMTrey said:
    @DoubleEgger

"Turn those machines back on!!!!"

One of my all time favorites 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I have been through 2 major down-turns.  #1 the tech bubble, second 2008.  Both times I was still adding and just turned a blind eye.  As I am no longer adding to my retirement we took  ones year profit and paid off my daughter's student loans.  Just profit, nothing else.  As we are still relatively young I'm not going to panic one way or the other. This is money that we plan to travel with as we are blessed to making pretty much our same income retired as when working. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    edited February 2018
    Having ridden the October 1987 22+% one day ride south, I am fairly numb to major gyrations.   Took a couple of years to get back to the surface.

That said, about the best description of the 2008 crash was when a friend of mine lamented as he looked at his statements after the drop and commented, "It's like a divorce, except I've still got the wife."  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I have given up trying to time the market- invest consistently over time. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Son of a b$tch. I just invested all my money in frozen orange juice concentrates(fojc)!
  • I bet you got a hot tip on it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Randle and Mortimer said it was a sure thing!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I am greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy.....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    Market peaks and valleys shouldn't define a man.  That said, I've invested since I was about 16 and a slow brisk walk is more enjoyable than a sprint and I don't scare easily.  In the end my love of God & Family are far more noteworthy. Enjoy all that life blesses us with.  Enjoy you day eggheads.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    Market peaks and valleys shouldn't define a man.  That said, I've invested since I was about 16 and a slow brisk walk is more enjoyable than a sprint and I don't scare easily.  In the end my love of God & Family are far more noteworthy. Enjoy all that life blesses us with.  Enjoy you day eggheads.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^ nice Blake
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Just sold it.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Tspud1
    Just sold it.
    Probably made more in 2 days than 3 years in money market or CD