Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg, New Table

Options
Finally joined the BGE clan, picked up a Large egg and soon after built a table.  Never had poured a concrete counter top before, but turned out pretty well with some green glass embedded in the top.  Now just to figure out what color to stain the table.  The barnyard door and general look of the table was straight from the lowcountrylady blog, with some added tweaks.  I put together a sketchup design of the table - happy to share if anyone would like the design with dimensions, cuts, etc.

Large BGE
Raleigh, NC

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Nice table. What rig is that holding the pizza stone?
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Love the sliding door touch. Never seen that. 
  • marainwa
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Nice table. What rig is that holding the pizza stone?
    Thanks! It's an Onlyfire elevator - link below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTB553J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome setup... Welcome!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Very nice!! And the pizza looks tasty!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome-

Go Pack
    Greensboro, NC
  • Willard
    Options
    Any reason why this won't hold a mini-max. 
    Bill-- Ankeny, Iowa
    Mini-max
    GMG Jim Bowie 

• 00pewter
    Options
    Sent you a message!

• Roebuck
    Options
    Wow! That is definitely one of the nicest tables I've ever seen on this site - Just beautiful! I love the door too. Well done.
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is a great looking table. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Welcome to the clan sure your going to love it.
    That's a great looking table maybe try a mahogany or some dark stain with a few amber or light color accents.
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Where did you get the barn door hardware? 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Beautiful work and welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• marainwa
    marainwa Posts: 19
    edited February 2018
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Where did you get the barn door hardware? 
    I wasn't able to find any hardware other than the type used for large doors, so I just made my own hardware.  I used a few pieces of flat steel bar (link below). Used a few metal spacers and the wheel from a couple pully's.  If you are looking to build your own, let me know and I can take some close up pictures of the hardware, and can go into some more detail on how I made it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-x-48-in-Plain-Steel-Flat-Bar-with-1-4-in-Thick-801097/204225764

Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • marainwa
    Options
    00pewter said:
    Sent you a message!

Site wouldn't let me attach the sketchup file to the post - emailed you the design.
    Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • saigodog
    Options
    Great looking table.  Could you tell me how tall the counter top is on it?  
    XL BGE, Large BGE
    Weber WSM

Los Angeles, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Great job on the table!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Based on how smooth the concrete top is, is take it you poured it upside down, then flipped it over on to the table?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Based on how smooth the concrete top is, is take it you poured it upside down, then flipped it over on to the table?

it looks like that,  after I did mine, I noticed even though I spent about an hours vibrating it to get the air bubbles out, still wasn't enough.  so if you are going to do one make sure you have the form supported but mostly exposed so you can really get them.  I used the base of my table to support mine and it limited the access which I think led to the divots.  it is about 8' long but should have done better there.  I did find there is concrete filler you can put in and then I stained/sealed it and it blends it right in.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• marainwa
    Options
    saigodog said:
    Great looking table.  Could you tell me how tall the counter top is on it?  

Thanks!  The table measures 32" from ground to top of table.
    Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • marainwa
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Yep, that's step one of getting the top smooth.  I made a form out of melamyne and poured the concrete - the top was upside down at this point.  Once it cured for a few days, I turned it over, and then spent a few days filling in the holes with a porter cement compound/sanding/adding additional porter compound/sanding.  Once that dried, spent a few more days polishing it with a commercial grade counter top wet polisher.  Finally put a couple coats of sealer on it.  There are a ton of DIY's out there that show you how to go through the process - one example below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ESUL98Gag

Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Options
    marainwa said:
    Finally joined the BGE clan, picked up a Large egg and soon after built a table.  Never had poured a concrete counter top before, but turned out pretty well with some green glass embedded in the top.  Now just to figure out what color to stain the table.  The barnyard door and general look of the table was straight from the lowcountrylady blog, with some added tweaks.  I put together a sketchup design of the table - happy to share if anyone would like the design with dimensions, cuts, etc.

i am quite interested in your schematics if you don't mind sharing
  • marainwa
    Options
    n00b said:
    marainwa said:

i am quite interested in your schematics if you don't mind sharing
    Sure thing, send me your email address and I’ll email you the sketchup design that I made.
    Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    TABLE IS A++++, LOVE THE TOP, If I do make a table think I will go with the concert - love the green accents.  To di a top notch job. Welcome to the Egg family. Love seeing all the photos...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I like it... I like it a lot. Especially the sliding door.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Diesel_Hokie
    Diesel_Hokie Posts: 22
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I think this looks great!  After finishing the top, how do you attach it to the table so it wouldn't move around ?
  • marainwa
    Options
    I think this looks great!  After finishing the top, how do you attach it to the table so it wouldn't move around ?
    Originally I planned to use liquid nail, or something similar.  That said, the top alone weighs at least 150lbs - once I moved it in place, it hasn’t moved an inch, the weight keeps it in place on its own.
    Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey Welcome, nice looking pie on clean egg.  Keep the cook pics coming.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Gburner
    Gburner Posts: 13
    Options
    So after watching the DIY video and seeing they made a mold, did you factor in the BGE circle at that time, or did you cut the circle after making the top?  If making the circle in the mold, what did you use to make that part of the mold? 
    BGE XL, Kick Ash Basket (NEW!!), Smokeware SS Cap, Flameboss 300 for S&L, BGE Lump & Fogo Lump Lover, Husker, Big Green Egging and Golf Fanatic.  Egging is an addictive hobby.
  • marainwa
    Options
    Gburner said:
    So after watching the DIY video and seeing they made a mold, did you factor in the BGE circle at that time, or did you cut the circle after making the top?  If making the circle in the mold, what did you use to make that part of the mold? 
    You will definitely want to make a circular mold to fill the void, cutting the concrete out in a perfect circle after the fact would be a nightmare.  I ordered a foam mold that measured 22" in diameter, and 1 1/2 inches thick.  Link below for the website I ordered the foam from.  If you call and let them know you're doing this for an egg table, they will know exactly what to cut for you.

http://foamandupholstery.com/

Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC