Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did the spatchcock chicken wrong and it still turned out great.

Options
So my mind was somewhere else and I mindlessly cut the bird between the breasts instead of cutting out the backbone. Seasoned with Weber Salt Free Chicken Seasoning and cooked indirect at 350 with a little bit of apple wood. Taste was great and spatching on the wrong side made no difference at all in the long run. Tasty and colorful bird.

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Looks great!  I think it’s kind of like the right Twix vs the Left Twix thing...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You're not the first - or the last - to do that. I haven't yet, but I won't be surprised if it happens. Glad it worked out. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Easier to cut that way!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Easier to cut that way!
    I think you are right.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Definitely easier and if you ever decide to go half-cocked (defined here:http://www.nakedwhiz.com/halfc.htm ) it is much easier to start with the breast cut then just take out the back-bone.  
    All's well that eats well.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Done the same thing. Turned out fine. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Looks great.

?back-cocked?
    ?front-cocked?

We need a word for this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Looks great.

?back-cocked?
    ?front-cocked?

We need a word for this.
    I know the term, but will refrain from using it here for fear of coming across as crude.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    The second pic looks like a bull frog getting ready to leap ;)

Great job
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Bird looks good.
    We always do half cocked because a half bird is plenty for the two of us.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Were you able to eat the "oysters"?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    "Reverse Spatchcock"! Very interesting. With the standard spatchcock, the leg/thigh is barely hanging on without the backbone. Your version actually looks a little sturdier overall. Did the breast meat on the outside get overcooked? Gotta say, I am intrigued. Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• epcotisbest
    Options
    "Reverse Spatchcock"! Very interesting. With the standard spatchcock, the leg/thigh is barely hanging on without the backbone. Your version actually looks a little sturdier overall. Did the breast meat on the outside get overcooked? Gotta say, I am intrigued. Cheers!
    Chris
    No, not overcooked at all. It was very good and seemed to have an overall uniform finish to the entire chicken. Will probably be doing "Reverse Spatchcock" again.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I had to google that, and yes they were intact and very tasty. I just always called them chicken parts. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Chuck Norris rubbed two pieces of Rockwood together to start the fire he used to cook the chupacabra he killed with his bare hands.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• epcotisbest
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Chuck Norris rubbed two pieces of Rockwood together to start the fire he used to cook the chupacabra he killed with his bare hands.
    Chuck Norris would have posted this in the Chuck Norris thread.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    It would be interesting to try this with a turkey. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great Cockspatch cook brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You no Adam, the same type of thing happened with Einstein, and he discoverd electricity. Pavlo had an apple hit him in the head, and discovered the the cotton gen.  I think it was Ben Franklin who discorved the bic lighter while fishin. You see, sometimes things don’t go as planned....and you discover something new. You should call it hctapskock
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    I do this with all of the birds I cook.  It works great & is easy to carve.  No complaints
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I had to google that, and yes they were intact and very tasty. I just always called them chicken parts. 
    The oysters are the best part of the chicken. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Boy that looks great- I am going to try the "epcotisbest" method on Sunday! 
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    tml1230 said:
    Boy that looks great- I am going to try the "epcotisbest" method on Sunday! 
    Thanks. Let us know how yours turns out.