Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3x 7lb Bone-in Butts (1 Lechon Asado seasoning 2 BBQ Style) on @ 8am off @ 4:30pm @ 275* Yes/No?

Options
nutshellml
nutshellml Posts: 166
So I have 3 7lb Bone-in Butts.  I need them ready by 4:30pm.  I am NOT planning on putting them on tonight, my thought was get them on between 7-8am at about 275*.  Will they be ready by 4:30pm?  I could always bump up temp and run them at 300* and if finish early, Towel and Cooler time....  

Thoughts?
Northern Jersey
XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I don't think they will be ready in that window and temperature.  Start an hour or so earlier and run upwards of around 300*F for starters.  See where you are around 11-12 and adjust from there.  FTC will buy you time but chasing the finish-line against the clock will only lead to too much stress.  Just one opinion ...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I don't think they will be ready in that window and temperature.  Start an hour or so earlier and run upwards of around 300*F for starters.  See where you are around 11-12 and adjust from there.  FTC will buy you time but chasing the finish-line against the clock will only lead to too much stress.  Just one opinion ...
    Thanks, where would you like to see them at 11-12pm, 160*-170?
    Northern Jersey
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I agree with Cap- better early than late. If it were me I would put on tonight at 225 and run till they were done and FTC. 

If you want to go in the morning go with 325 on early and hold till the party. You don’t want to run late. 

Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @nutshellml - I would venture that 6 hours in (running around 300*F on the calibrated dome) you should be thru the stall but given how every protein is different you will just have to see where you are.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Be prepared to alter cook temp, that is a tight window...@ that time of want to st least see it in the stall as I know I can ride it, or plow through it as needed...if I was planning for it @ 430 I would want to be done @ noon to 1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nutshellml
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I agree with Cap- better early than late. If it were me I would put on tonight at 225 and run till they were done and FTC. 

If you want to go in the morning go with 325 on early and hold till the party. You don’t want to run late. 

I just didn't want to start real late tonight.  I have the egg all set up, cyber Q ready, just need to light and get it going.

From what I remember, cooking 300-325 won't have any major affect on the tenderness or texture per se.

Maybe i'll just wake up as early as possible, try to get it on NLT 7am at 275-300?
    Northern Jersey
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    I just did three that were 8 lbs each.  Set the smobot for 270 and put them on last night at 6 p.m.  Pulled one off at 8 a.m. and the other two at 9:15 a.m.  It was around 10 degrees outside and I burned through a load of lump (first time that has happened).  I think your schedule is pretty tight if you plan to go 275 so i'd suggest bumping it to 300.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN