Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Rub and Injection advice

Hey everyone just wanted to start this thread to find out what everyone is using for rub and injection on brisket. I have about a 16 pounder going on the smoker for the super bowl. I usually use meat church Texas rub and some pork injection. id like to make my own injection this time tho and im curious what some of you use......

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    when I inject (usually do) I use Butchers Prime Injection. Good stuff.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Never injected a brisket.  I'm using Oakridge Black Ops for the first time on this weekends brisket.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Paging @YukonRon who has quite an injection cocktail for brisket.  
    I don't inject.  My current go-to commercial rub is Hardcore Carnivore Black.  My home-made rub consists of fresh ground black pepper, garlic, paprika and sea salt.  I got lighter on the salt than advertised with Aaron Franklin's S&P rub.  FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843

I have injected in the past with straight beef broth but got away from that and just rub the outside with kosher salt the night before let it sit in the fridge uncovered.  next day rub it down with Meat Church Holy cow or just pepper and cook.  Always good and tender.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I use BBQ1 Cow Dust.
    I also inject. My injection recipe is simple:
    50% low sodium beef broth
    25% garlic juice
    25% onion juice.
    2-4 ounces injected 3-4 times during the cook with an occasional mop once the rub has crusted.
    The results are extremely flavorful and juicy. The crust stays very hard so no worries about it being soggy from the mopping.
    It does turn out very, very good.
    Leftovers are phenomenal.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • @YukonRon said:
    I use BBQ1 Cow Dust.
    25% garlic juice
    25% onion juice.
    2-4 ounces injected 3-4 times during the cook with an occasional mop once the rub has crusted.
    The results are extremely flavorful and juicy. The crust stays very hard so no worries about it being soggy from the mopping.
    Where do you get Garlic/Onion Juice?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• I've used Butcher's, Oakridge injections but they give me the shakes after eating the brisket. I also tried Myron's injection before and it was way salty but just cut down on some of those ingredients and should be fine. I normally never inject as i just want the "BEEF" taste.

NW IA

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited February 2018
    I've used Butcher's, Oakridge injections but they give me the shakes after eating the brisket. I also tried Myron's injection before and it was way salty but just cut down on some of those ingredients and should be fine. I normally never inject as i just want the "BEEF" taste.
    "shakes"? They have Phosphates to enhance moisture, maybe you have an allergy? 
  • YukonRon
    @YukonRon said:
    I use BBQ1 Cow Dust.
    25% garlic juice
    25% onion juice.
    Where do you get Garlic/Onion Juice?
    Usually at the grocery store, I find them in small containers in spice section.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    I've used Butcher's, Oakridge injections but they give me the shakes after eating the brisket. I also tried Myron's injection before and it was way salty but just cut down on some of those ingredients and should be fine. I normally never inject as i just want the "BEEF" taste.
    Do you use rubs to get the beef taste?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon said:
    Just use a rub on the outside couple days in advance.

NW IA

• I've used Butcher's, Oakridge injections but they give me the shakes after eating the brisket. I also tried Myron's injection before and it was way salty but just cut down on some of those ingredients and should be fine. I normally never inject as i just want the "BEEF" taste.
    "shakes"? They have Phosphates to enhance moisture, maybe you have an allergy? 
    Yep - makes my heart race also, allergy is very possible as I have plenty of those!

NW IA

• YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    Do you smoke it as well?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited February 2018
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Do you smoke it as well?
    Yes, normally use mild fruit woods. I tried oak once and my wife was not a fan but she does like hickory. Once I locate the juices you reference I will give it a try, thank you for sharing.

NW IA

• YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Do you smoke it as well?
    Yes, normally use mild fruit woods. I tried oak once and my wife was not a fan but she does like hickory. Once I locate the juices you reference I will give it a try, thank you for sharing.
    I use pecan for smoke, and it works very well. I chose it because the rub I referenced previously has a coffee base, and a significant amount of sugar. 
    I get the shakes if I dont eat it. It is like my coffee in the morning, sad to say.

You may be in for a little suprise if you use the broth and the juices. I have had others tell me they think it may make it taste too pot roastish....and I guess I understand the thought process, but I can tell you this; Anyone that I have made a brisket for, has never complained, and they have also implemented the process into their low and slows. I have not been able to get a pot roast flavor or texture from using this practice. So in reality, I dunno.

I usually do not have enough leftovers to do much with it. other than a couple of wraps.

I do make a bleu cheese cole slaw to got with it. It is very good, and compliments the brisket famously. I usually take whatever brisket is left over, and make wraps using the BCCS. A very delicious combination, when you use fresh, coarse ground, black pepper.

I am cooking two this weekend, one for a party to which we have been asked to attend, (also asked to bring the brisket) and another for some friends of ours, that received some not so great news with the big C. All is good though, they have a great support network, and the long term prognosis is encouraging.

Cook food the way you like it, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Peace.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Cow dust only and no injections for me.  Always use prime or SRF.  Always turns out well.  Nothing against injecting, just haven't felt a need.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @YukonRon I'm sure all here recognize and can relate to the big C.  Great gesture with the brisket.  Beyond that take no F'ing prisoners in that fight as I'm sure they won't.  Best wishes for your friend and family.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon I'm sure all here recognize and can relate to the big C.  Great gesture with the brisket.  Beyond that take no F'ing prisoners in that fight as I'm sure they won't.  Best wishes for your friend and family.  
    @lousubcap
    Thank you Frank, they, like you my friend, are awesome folk. I will pass it on.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    My wife does not like heavy smoke and likes brisket very tender and juicy but does not care how the bark is.   I try to get a good choice brisket and just use S&P plus Dizzy dust with about 2 chunks of apple and then use a modified Travis method in that I put the brisket into a disposable pan on whole medium onions with Shiner bock and apple juice below it.    Then cook at 275 until 160 and then cover the brisket and pan and raise to about 350 until done.   This has always given great results.  Also it keeps the brisket above the juices.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston