Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage question

Options
So I'm getting ready to try my hand at making some sausage.  I've read a book or two and the relevant threads on here, and I have a couple of recipes ready to go.

However, I can't seem to find pork fat anywhere.  The groceries here are pretty much getting pretrimmed pork.  The butchers are using everything to make their own lard and sausage.  The nearest farms are a bit of a hike away.   So I'm thinking of using pork belly (which I can get for reasonably cheap) and estimating fat content.  Hopefully I can find an untrimmed butt or loin for some of the other fat as well.

Will that work?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

@lkapigian

NOLA

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Ive not done it but I think a pork butt is all you need.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Try to use pork butt if you can. If you can, I do not feel that you have to add any more fat than it already has.  Do not overthink it. It is not as hard as you think. I do however, recommend you take detailed notes on what you do so you know what to/not to do the next time you make it.  As far as using belly, yes you can use it, but as I mentioned above, I do not think it is necessary if using butt.  If you only have a loin, I see no reason why not, but I say that having never done that. I have only ever used pork butt as usually it is readily available by me.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't think a butt has enough fat to make proper sausage.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Fatback is fairly hard to find. It’s my understanding that it’s seasonal for some unknown reason. I just use side meat that I can get at the grocery store. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I don't think a butt has enough fat to make proper sausage.
    I think this is right.  The only reason I mentioned loin is because untrimmed, it will apparently have the right kind of fat.  Otherwise, I will use butt.  Either way, I do think I will have to add more fat (via belly).

Thanks for all the advice.  Keep it coming.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    Options
    Fatback is fairly hard to find. It’s my understanding that it’s seasonal for some unknown reason. I just use side meat that I can get at the grocery store. 
    What is side meat?
    NOLA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    This isn't what I thought it would be about.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    @buzd504 pork belly is great ( ditch the skin) shoulder usually has enough fat, but I still add .25 fat to each pound...stay away from soft fat....pork jowels also work great ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    What is side meat?
    https://www.allmychefs.com/ingredients/pork-side_532
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    What is side meat?
    https://www.allmychefs.com/ingredients/pork-side_532
    Oh.  And here I was thinking it was something your wife didn't want you to find out about.

I love this forum, lern sumpin new every day!
    buzd504 said:
    So I'm getting ready to try my hand at making some sausage.  I've read a book or two and the relevant threads on here, and I have a couple of recipes ready to go.

However, I can't seem to find pork fat anywhere.  The groceries here are pretty much getting pretrimmed pork.  The butchers are using everything to make their own lard and sausage.  The nearest farms are a bit of a hike away.   So I'm thinking of using pork belly (which I can get for reasonably cheap) and estimating fat content.  Hopefully I can find an untrimmed butt or loin for some of the other fat as well.

Will that work?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

@lkapigian

Have you tried any local restaraunts that are making their own sausage? They would be buying in bulk or have extras on hand that they would probably sell you. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • buzd504
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    This is going to come across as pissy, but that is not what is intended......
    What is proper sausage?
    I consider ground seasoned meat in a casing sausage.
    I suppose technically some sausages must have a certain percentage of fat, a specific ingredient or aged a certain amount of time to classify or be recognized as a particular style, but beyond that isn’t it what you prefer?   Percentage of fat content is a preference, similar to the how long/much something is smoked. While I do not like it dry, that commercial stuff is way to fatty for me. The sausage I make plumps, is juicy, and If the casing does not rupture, it will slowly ooze fat when cooked. It nearly always leaves a small pool on the plate. 
    Here are a few pictures from various times I have made it. You can see the fat content. Could I add more fat to it? Yes.  Would I? I have not ever thought of doing that and I have made it a bunch of times. I barely trim the meat  and leave all the fat (just get rid of the membrane).  I also searched to see if I had a picture of one cut, sliced or even bit into, but I don’t. I will have to remember to the next time I cook some up. 
    I am happy with my results, and I hope you are too when done. Regardless of what you do or use, post up pictures of your first go at it. 
    Best of luck!

Not pissy and I agree with what you said there, but I'm looking for a pretty standardized starting point so i can go from there to figure out what I like.  I think using some pork belly will be a workable solution.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just grind up some pork shoulder with seasoning and salt. Then stuff it in casing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • buzd504
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just grind up some pork shoulder with seasoning and salt. Then stuff it in casing.
    Or I could just eat a pork chop.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    What is proper sausage?
    I suppose technically some sausages must have a certain percentage of fat, a specific ingredient or aged a certain amount of time to classify or be recognized as a particular style, but beyond that isn’t it what you prefer?   Percentage of fat content is a preference, similar to the how long/much something is smoked. While I do not like it dry, that commercial stuff is way to fatty for me. The sausage I make plumps, is juicy, and If the casing does not rupture, it will slowly ooze fat when cooked. It nearly always leaves a small pool on the plate. 
    Here are a few pictures from various times I have made it. You can see the fat content. Could I add more fat to it? Yes.  Would I? I have not ever thought of doing that and I have made it a bunch of times. I barely trim the meat  and leave all the fat (just get rid of the membrane).  I also searched to see if I had a picture of one cut, sliced or even bit into, but I don’t. I will have to remember to the next time I cook some up. 
    I am happy with my results, and I hope you are too when done. Regardless of what you do or use, post up pictures of your first go at it. 
    Best of luck!

Not pissy and I agree with what you said there, but I'm looking for a pretty standardized starting point so i can go from there to figure out what I like.  I think using some pork belly will be a workable solution.
    Pork 20% ish fat ( I go more) 2% salt +- liquid ( I go 1 cup per 5 pounds) ...mix until you get a primary bind....cold cold cold....all the other spices are just for flavor...a basic salt and nothing else will be good....add a little fennel , bang Italian, add a little red pepper flakes, hot Italian

Most of all have fun, its a great kitchen hobby....Meat, fat, salt, liquid, bind= sausage
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    DMW said:
    Or I could just eat a pork chop.
    Well, yeah, that's never a bad option.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

When using pork butt, do you use the hard fat too?  

Phoenix 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I usually just use ground pork from BJ's.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blasting said:

@blasting I do...didn't at first and it will work without it, but its much better with a bit higher content...I also used to just grind it all up, now I separate the fat and grind it seoeratly with different size dies
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I don’t know about “proper sausage” but there are many recipes in Charcuterie by Ruhlman that specifically call for pork back fat. For example, the Classic Bratwurst recipe calls for 1lb pork back fat, 3lbs pork butt, and 1lb diced veal shoulder. 

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have always made my my pork sausages (brats, italians) using pork butt. It was the way I learned and it has worked for me for the 20 years I have done it. The times I have ventured out to make goose, chicken, and other (low fat) meat sausages I have had to add fat. In these cases I have used pork butt or pork belly. Just my 2 cents.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I mainly use butt, but still add...I did make some last week with some meaty belly...these were killer. Actually had to add a little butt
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    What is proper sausage?
    Best of luck!

Those look amazing and Not pissy @ all, it is whatever you like and how you like it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    The fat content is important, but honestly the most important ingredient is salt. 1.75% of the meat/fat total weight. I just made pheasant sausage, I had a really fatty belly left from the last time I made bacon. Used that, I'd say it was 90% fat. I added 25% belly to the total weight of the pheasant and 1.75% salt BEFORE grinding/mixing any other ingredients. Turned out perfect.
    Pratt, KS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    blasting said:

@blasting I do...didn't at first and it will work without it, but its much better with a bit higher content...I also used to just grind it all up, now I separate the fat and grind it seoeratly with different size dies

Thanks @ikapigian that's Interesting.  All these years cooking butts and trimming the hard fat - this will seem odd to include it.

What is the reason for grinding separately from the meat?  Are you grinding it to a different consistency?
    Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    blasting said:
    lkapigian said:
    blasting said:

Thanks @ikapigian that's Interesting.  All these years cooking butts and trimming the hard fat - this will seem odd to include it.

What is the reason for grinding separately from the meat?  Are you grinding it to a different consistency?
    @blasting Mainly looks/consistency ...Started doing this with my first Andouille , doubt it changes the flavor....I've just gotten to pay more attention as to how it looks when you cut into it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • etherdome
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Ive not done it but I think a pork butt is all you need.  
    In my limited experience , a ground up pork butt was not sufficient. Turned out rubbery and didn’t even make any grease when cooking. Next time I plan to grind a pork butt and add 20% fat like pork belly or something . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • CarolinaQ
    Options
    I agree about needing to add fat to a pork butt for the grind, and being careful to trim all of the sinew and stringy fat from the butt as it doesn’t render well when you cook the sausage. 

I use use pork belly from Costco primarily. Like you I tried unsuccessfully to find back fat. I also add pork belly to all of my beef sausage like beef kielbasa and beef hot links. The results have been very good. 

As a previous poster noted, keep everything very cold, grind it yourself, shoot for 80/20 or 75/25 meat to fat ratio ( a butt alone does not have enough to get you there), and use 2% salt to total meat weight. Then add enough liquid to make it pass through your stuffer easily. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’ve heard that the best way to get help with sausage is to post an ad online. There’s this site called “Craigslist”. Just post an ad advertising a “sausage fest” in conjunction with your home address.