Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher paper and Ribs

Options
The last couple times I've done loin ribs they turned out drier than I'd like. I've foil wrapped in the past to prevent this but almost went too far in the other direction (I like tender, but you could spread them on toast). Have any of y'all tried butcher paper wrapping? I've used this to great success with Brisket but never with Pork Ribs.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    About how long and what temperature were they on when you didn’t wrap and thought they were too dry?  I never wrap pork ribs (or anything really) and never had them be too dry. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Aaron says "No" wrap on the ribs.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • danguba78
    Options
    I usually get my ribs from a Costco, and they are really meaty on the meaty end. The past few times the lean ends were dried out (I’m a dry rub, no sauce guy), so I decided to try wrapping with butcher paper for an hour. They turned out just the way I like them—-tender, not mushy, clean bite from the bone. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Last two rib cooks I’ve used butcher paper it doesn’t tenderize as fast as foil I really have liked the results and will continue using it on ribs
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    unlike foil, you can adjust the paper's breath-ability by how many folds you go. more folds, more like foil.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Teefus said:
    The last couple times I've done loin ribs they turned out drier than I'd like. I've foil wrapped in the past to prevent this but almost went too far in the other direction (I like tender, but you could spread them on toast). Have any of y'all tried butcher paper wrapping? I've used this to great success with Brisket but never with Pork Ribs.
    Drier? Can you possible post your rib technique. Are you buying your ribs from the same market or ?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I have done six racks of pork spare ribs so far. This is what I learned:

Keep your fire under control. I started out doing 3-2-1 cooks.

The first 3 hour section is just about smokey flavor and color.  Try to keep the temp under 250F. I tried pecan wood the most recent cook and it was really nice.

If you are going to wrap in foil or paper, do so but cut the time in half. So in a 3-2-1, check at 30 minutes. If you add any liquid or fats to the packet, save these as you take the ribs out of the wrap.

The last section is about bringing it home and getting exactly the texture and tenderness you like. You can mix it up here and offer more than one style. I use the toothpick test every 20 minutes. I have had the last section last over an hour waiting on tenderness.

Mountain View, CA
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Teefus said:
    Drier? Can you possible post your rib technique. Are you buying your ribs from the same market or ?

My ribs have been coming from Costco or my local grocer. I've tried a number of time temp combinations and am trying to dial in "competition style" results with a moist rib that has a tender bark and nice soft bite but doesn't fall off the bone. So far I've tried:
    • 325* for about 6 hours on the grille, spraying with cider periodically. Good but a little dry.
    • 3-2-1 at 225*. Spread it on toast. Just pull the bones out and eat it with a fork.
    • 3 hour turbo style at 325* Good tooth but dry bark.
    Don't get me wrong. I've yet to cook a bad rack of ribs. All have been very tasty. and there are never any leftovers. I'm trying to zero in on the bulls eye.

I think I'll give the paper a try this weekend and see how it works out.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I struggle getting the bark as dry as i like occasionally. I like it to dry them up a bit then mop or spritz a couple times in the last hour for the color and shellacked look i like. I use a mop with vinegar base and some sugars.
  • dmourati
    Options
    Tell me more about the 3-2-1. What did you put on it at 2? Just try backing off the time in wrap (which would have a similar effect to your proposed butcher paper, all else equal).
    Mountain View, CA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Teefus said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Teefus said:

My ribs have been coming from Costco or my local grocer. I've tried a number of time temp combinations and am trying to dial in "competition style" results with a moist rib that has a tender bark and nice soft bite but doesn't fall off the bone. So far I've tried:
    • 325* for about 6 hours on the grille, spraying with cider periodically. Good but a little dry.
    • 3-2-1 at 225*. Spread it on toast. Just pull the bones out and eat it with a fork.
    Don't get me wrong. I've yet to cook a bad rack of ribs. All have been very tasty. and there are never any leftovers. I'm trying to zero in on the bulls eye.

It's my opinion that 225 is too low to get a proper bark formation. Myself, I'm a 275 guy - straight thru, no spritz, no lifting dome, no wrapping. IMO, 275 allows the bark to form perfectly (Aaron Franklin does his at this temp) I start checking my ribs @ with 'the bend test' after 3.5 hrs to about 4 hrs.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Teefus
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Tell me more about the 3-2-1. What did you put on it at 2? Just try backing off the time in wrap (which would have a similar effect to your proposed butcher paper, all else equal).
    I wrapped in foil with a little sauce and a little cider.
  • dmourati
    Options
    It makes sense how you got to the texture you did in the 3-2-1 attempt. How did they look after 2?
    Mountain View, CA
  • Teefus
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    Teefus said:

Oops. Typo. This (above) should have set 225* for 6 hours. 
  • Teefus
    Options
    Follow up. 

Did two two racks of loin ribs this afternoon. 

3 hours at 225* on Rockwood lump and pecan chunks. 
    2 hours stacked and double wrapped in butcher paper with brown sugar and sauce. 
    30 minutes unwrapped to set the glaze.

Awesome.. nice bite, juicy, tender, flavorful. Not mushy. 

No more foil foil for me. 
  • dmourati
    Options
    Nice.
    Mountain View, CA
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I'm trying not to sound condensing RELLY!  You have all or most read that I just can't nail wangs on the egg.  But ribs are (for me) the easiest cook there is.  I was very worried, reading all the rib posts when I got my egg.  I threw on a rack or two with whatever rub and tried to keep the temp in control.  I don't chase the temp, if it's too hot they will be done early, if not later.  No foil, no butcher paper, just wait for the toothpick probe. They may not measure up to some's but I will not order ribs (or steak) when going out to eat anymore.  I think it's just over thinking a easy smoke. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• pgprescott
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    I'm trying not to sound condensing RELLY!  You have all or most read that I just can't nail wangs on the egg.  But ribs are (for me) the easiest cook there is.  I was very worried, reading all the rib posts when I got my egg.  I threw on a rack or two with whatever rub and tried to keep the temp in control.  I don't chase the temp, if it's too hot they will be done early, if not later.  No foil, no butcher paper, just wait for the toothpick probe. They may not measure up to some's but I will not order ribs (or steak) when going out to eat anymore.  I think it's just over thinking a easy smoke. 
    Depends on your method I think. For those who use a more complex method in order to achieve more complex flavor results, the windows can be pretty narrow. Ribs in foil can go from
    perfect to overdone in a couple minutes. I keep it simple too. Mostly cuz I’m lazy. I’ve done it many ways and the simple lazy way gives me the most consistently good results. Having said that my ribs are pretty good but pale in comparison to some I’ve had done by other methods. 
  • Teefus
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    No worries. I always thought ribs were easy too. Just apply a rub, cook them low and slow until they're falling apart, and apply a sauce glaze at the end. I've done dozens of slabs that way and they were all delicious. I decided to go a little different direction. Rather than sliding the bones out and eating the rib meat with a fork, I wanted to retain some firmness to the meat so I could cut individual ribs for serving. Mission accomplished. I still need to tweak the cook a little though. I'll add more pecan chunks (or maybe hickory) on the front end to get a stronger smoke flavor next time.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Teefus said:
    bucky925 said:
    No worries. I always thought ribs were easy too. Just apply a rub, cook them low and slow until they're falling apart, and apply a sauce glaze at the end. I've done dozens of slabs that way and they were all delicious. I decided to go a little different direction. Rather than sliding the bones out and eating the rib meat with a fork, I wanted to retain some firmness to the meat so I could cut individual ribs for serving. Mission accomplished. I still need to tweak the cook a little though. I'll add more pecan chunks (or maybe hickory) on the front end to get a stronger smoke flavor next time.
    Hickory is bolder than pecan. Similar flavor. 
  • Teefus
    Options
    Teefus said:
    bucky925 said:
    Hickory is bolder than pecan. Similar flavor. 
    Yup. Hoping to add a little bolder smoke punch.