Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Oysters - I’m a Slow Learner

Options
The last few days have been good to me. I was in Austin Thursday and Friday for work. I met my daughter after work on Thursday. We went to HEB and I bought groceries, then went to her apartment and made creamed spinach tortellini for her (forgot to take pics).
My wife drove in to Austin Friday after work. I texted @The Cen-Tex Smoker and ask for some advice about places to eat. We ended up going to North by Northwest on Slaughter. We had great beer and great food. I had some tuna that was nicely done.

My wife had to travel on to Houston this morning so that left me and the kid again to get into trouble. We went to Valentina’s for lunch. It did not disappoint. 

We had brisket tacos, pork carnitas, and pork ribs. The brisket was superb. I have to say folks, the pork was some of the best I have ever eaten. It was a real treat. 
After that we went to Whole Foods. This was dangerous because I was going home alone. That means I get to cook and play. I’ve never had grilled oysters before. I also have to put out there that I’m not a fan of oysters. I’ve had some fried that I enjoyed. Raw oysters make me run away. Smoked oysters from a can are just - wrong. 
Ever since I read this post by @MeatChurch I have wanted to give them a shot. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1207536/chargrilled-oysters

Well today was the day. I picked up a half dozen oysters and headed home. 
It was an adventure shucking for the first time but I figured it out pretty quickly. I made a compound butter with some DP Red Eye Express rub. I chopped a little parsley for garnish. I grated some smoked Gouda and broke out a new bottle of jalapeno hot sauce by Yellow Bird.
I’m just kind of making this up as I go if you can’t tell...

I got the Mini Max up to about 425 and put the oysters on. I cooked them for 5 minutes. Then I added a dollop of butter and topped each oyster with cheese. I cooked these for an additional 3-4 minutes until the juices were bubbling and the oysters were puffed up. 

Folks, I don’t know if I did them right, but they were good. I topped them with some hot sauce and added a bit of garnish. I discovered 1/2 dozen wasn’t enough. 

Now I’m just chillin’. 

I sincerely hope your day has been as good as mine. Cheers y’all. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Envious, awesome man!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Great weekend Sci. Nicely done sir. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I love em

Little Rock, AR

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Those look awesome- nice first go

Greensboro, NC
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    The cooked ones looked fantastic. I wouldn’t have made it that long and just would have eaten them raw. This still gives me a new idea on oysters. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    If you liked what you made, you did not do it wrong.
    And for the record, I would have fought you for half of them....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Well done!!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Super great!  I bet you have a happy stomach.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding run there man!  Good times and great eats.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Never a doubt.  One more to put into an already over-loaded rotation.  Great outcome for sure. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    I discovered 1/2 dozen wasn’t enough.“

I can’t imagine how that felt, realizing one or two oysters in that this was going to end too soon.  They look great, and now you know.  Like stuffed mushrooms, so many options and directions to try, no doubt you’ll have fun experimenting.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The Oyster is the jewel of the sea if you ask me. If you are going to cook them, why not do to them as you like. I applaud you...and now look forward to having these upon my yet to be planned visit. Those look outstanding!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    As we say in the south, podna that's good eatin right there.  I do charbroiled oysters on the egg over a roaring flame all the time.  The first time I did them I realized that I needed some super long tongs.  Very nice, my friend!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic looking oysters..... what a great few days you had Brother Sci!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 57
    Options
    Great stuff - butter cheese! Can' be wrong!  
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    I would never get less than a couple of dozen per person.
    Also: Put 'em on the grill for a few minutes until they just start to open. Much easier to shuck then. Add stuff and back to the grill if you want but I usually just put on a cracker, add a dash of tabasco or horseradish, and suck 'em up cuz they look so good.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Incredible cook , pictures , and report!.... And being with family-it don't get no better! Thanks
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Great cook - those oysters look awesome!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I thank you all for the kind comments. I’ll be doing these again very soon. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Looks like a nice day.  I'm a fan of raw over any other method oysters - that being said those look like the best cooked oysters I've seen.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • gonepostal
    Options
    What a post!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM