Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Secret to carmelized onions

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Don’t be a jerk. It’s not a good look. 
    You said jerk...
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I don't think I would add sugar as onions, when caramelized, have a lot of natural sugars that come out,but as @HeavyG said: to each is own.
    You will figure out that some here just dribble links to what they think would taste good without showing proof.  
    Perhaps I'm taking this the wrong way (I don't photo/video every last thing I cook) but your posts in this thread seem to be from someone who's only attacked others, I'm hoping you go back under your bridge.

I've tried a few different methods from old school French, to Americas Test Kitchen to Kenjis PC method.   I would be interested to see what people here consider caramelized.  Especially from bridge dwelling trolls such as yourself.

Near San Francisco in California
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    I have caramelized them with dark beer and a little bit of brown sugar and it is very good, so yes you can use sugar...

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I don't think I would add sugar as onions, when caramelized, have a lot of natural sugars that come out,but as @HeavyG said: to each is own.
    Yeah....you are prob right. A pinch of sugar is prob a bit much. Don’t no what I was thinking. It’s prob why mine suck and I’m probably just dribbling....links.
    Your just a dribbler! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    You have to watch onions very carefully, they go into the stall almost immediately and stay there for a very long time.  Once they come out, they can burn very quickly.

I always wrap mine in butcher paper once they hit the stall for just this reason
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Secret to caramelized onions? Patience. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Onions are also the toughest vegetable just as tough as a Brisket cook!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just put them in the microwave on the defrost cycle for 12 hours (overnight, usually).
    Options

dmchicago said:
    "The frickin' onion drives the cook!"
    lol'd on an airplane at that one. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I just put them in the microwave on the defrost cycle for 12 hours (overnight, usually).
    Not to hijack the thread, but where do you get your frozen onions?  I’m down to 2 pallets (thawed) and prolly < 50 lbs (frozen) and am starting to get antsy, especially with all the secret recipe unmasking going on. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Not to hijack the thread, but where do you get your frozen onions?  I’m down to 2 pallets (thawed) and prolly < 50 lbs (frozen) and am starting to get antsy, especially with all the secret recipe unmasking going on. 
    Restaurant depot can get frozen onions if you call ahead.  It usually takes them 2-3 days to come in.
    NOLA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    If you put caramelized onions on a hotdog is it still a sandwich? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I couldn't believe it hadn't been taken.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    All this onion talk and I haven’t read one reference to the most important factor - what type of onions.  Personally, I go with a few heirloom varieties that I’ve been able to source through some underground, pop-up farmers markets. It’s all micro farms and nano farms these days.  Hydroponics are so yesterday.

Cant say more, I’ll lose my contacts. Bottom line, find a good steakhouse.  A really great one that isn’t a chain and ask to speak to their onion steward.  If they balk at this, you know you’re in the right place so just keep pressing the maitre d louder and louder until they bring him out. Just don’t ask them about garlic, they hate that.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    First rule of Onion Club is we don't talk about Onion Club.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    dmchicago said:
    I couldn't believe it hadn't been taken.
    Better to be lucky than good any day (sorry, Frank- it was a layup)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I definitely failed to recognize the value within this thread.  I was fine with my simple approach and figured I would just pass.  That's what I get for ciphering =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    First rule of Onion Club is we don't talk about Onion Club.
    The onions you own end up owning you. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    this weekend i sliced up 10 big yellows, forgot everything i read in this thread, tossed them in the dutch with a stick of white foaming butter and stirred them up for about 5 beers. french onion soup.  not sure how many beers it took to make the beef bone broth
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You sir.....are out there living on the edge.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    All this time I just thought they were sauteed by Carmelita !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I cheat, I inject. Some people do not do it because they want it to have that oniony taste to come through with just the flavors of the rub, (with or without mustard as a sealing base), and their preferred smoke profile.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I cheat, I inject. Some people do not do it because they want it to have that oniony taste to come through with just the flavors of the rub, (with or without mustard as a sealing base), and their preferred smoke profile.
    If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’  #Belicheck

If it tastes good, it ain’t cheatin’. #hendersontrking

I’ve never injected a brisky, and have always been more than happy with my results. This thread has me rethinking. How much better can injecting be?  W W AF DO? (Aaron does not inject.)

This requires more thought and research. Brisket gods — to inject or not inject?  That is the question. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’  #Belicheck

If it tastes good, it ain’t cheatin’. #hendersontrking

I’ve never injected a brisky, and have always been more than happy with my results. This thread has me rethinking. How much better can injecting be?  W W AF DO? (Aaron does not inject.)

This requires more thought and research. Brisket gods — to inject or not inject?  That is the question. 
    Keep in mind Aaron cooks the finest cuts in the land. I cook crap from Walmart many times. Some of the nice Costco ones don’t need injection, but people might be surprised and like it better. I used to Pooh Pooh brining of poultry until I tried it. I used to say to myself,” how could it really get any better than just chicken done on the BGE?” Well brined is better, hands down.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Onions people, onions.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Legume said:
    Onions people, onions.
    I recently started injecting and brining my onions before caramelizing them. Whole. Nutha. Level.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95