Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Broccoli

Options
Anyone ever tried it?  Any good recipes?
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes and it sucks.
    DMW said:
    So... not a fan?
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Sounds interesting to me!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nasty, bro!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    For broccoli, only smoke with pimento wood.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I like my broccoli raw. Dip in hummus for some protein and flavour. I could eat it daily. Mmmmm......

If you’re going to cook broccoli, best not to overlook. Mushy broccoli, like mushy asparagus or brussel sprouts, is most unpleasant. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't listen to the naysayers. They probably don't like liver either. Or spinach. Or kale. Or Brussels sprouts.

I always have broccoli on hand. Raw is ok in a salad or with a dip, but no more than ok. Mushy is not a good thing, but I do prefer tender to raw.

I haven't tried smoking it, just steaming, sautéing or direct grilling. I like it steamed the best as it's easier to get it cooked enough without burning it and still leaving it undercooked as sometimes happens with sautéing or grilling. An indirect smoke sounds promising. Wonder if too much smoke is a possibility as with poultry. I would assume so. Maybe a chunk of maple or alder? Indirect at whatever temp you were cooking the protein at. Seasoned with s&p or maybe some nice Greek seasoning.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Set up BGE for indirect using grape wood
    Oil a 6 x 9 pan
    Use one half cup of water
    Break broccoli into smaller florets and place in pan
    Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning
    Place in egg at 300F for 15-20 minutes or until tender
    Remove from pan and place in butcher paper
    Throw in trash.

Dang it!  You beat me to it @YukonRon . . . or a version of this.  Click on thread, quickly scan . . . almost skipped your post because it looked legit.  

My initial thought was to wrap each broccoli floret in a piece of bacon, creating a bacon ring.  Cook until bacon is as you desire.  remove broc from bacon.  eat bacon ring, throw broccoli away. 

I dont mind broccoli.  I have never smoked it.  I wanted to get around to doing cauliflower like wings.  I think @Thatgrimguy posted something along those lines.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Egged maybe in a cheese casserole ?

I like broccoli steamed with garlic salt and raw in salads or veggie dip
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Didn't add any smoke, but it sure turned out good!  A bit of olive oil, salt and pepper...

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Cowboy lump smoke would pair nicely with the broccoli. Don’t wait for the white smoke to clear, just throw it on as soon as it starts billowing. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Don’t you have better things to smoke?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Options
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Only the real pros attempt broccoli.
  • Cmyachtie
    Cmyachtie Posts: 101
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    ++1.......LOL
    MMx, my not so large BGE
    Genesis E330 gasser 
    WiFi ANOVA SV
    Halifax, Canada
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Simpleton 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Cut into big chunks, toss with oil and dizzy pig, grill on high heat but leave a bit to bite, toss into a bowl with more dizzy pig and some butter; the outcome is pretty tasty and works well with quartered brusselsprouts too. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin