Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami

Options
Bluekard
Bluekard Posts: 6
Amazingribs.com "close to Katz'" recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-pastrami-recipe-thats-close-katzs

Used half of a packer brisket, which was mostly the flat, although I think next time will call for using the point.  Brined the brisket (including pickling spices) for 7 days, soaked in water for 1.5 days, rubbed, left in fridge for 2 days and onto the egg.  Had to cut the flat into 2 pieces to fit better on the LBGE.  Smoked until the stall (mid 150's F). then onto a rack inside a roasting pan with about 1/2 inch of water and and covered in tin foil.  Took it up to an internal temp of 200F, rested for about 15 minutes and then sliced.  Was some seriously good eating.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Homemade pastrami is some seriously good eats. Enjoy!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Thanks for sharing--on my list for sure
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks good. Nice work!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Love pastrami. Here's the last one I did and I'm doing another one today
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.