Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood - where to buy online

The place I was getting Rockwood online stopped carrying it, and everywhere else seems to charge shipping regardless of order size. If anyone has a good online source for quality charcoal please share. 
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Buy it online at Ace and pick it up at the store.  
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Rockwoodcharcoal.com
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2018
    On our site, acehardware.com, eBay, soon to be Amazon, and all of our other online dealers.  Just look on our site under Where to Buy, then Online Dealers.

If anyone is planning on ordering this weekend, and want to save some money, send me a PM with your email address.  I need about 5 people to test something for me.  Will give you a discount code or something for it.

Edit:  need one more!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Is your pricing via Amazon likely going to be the same as ordering directly off your site?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    HeavyG said:
    Is your pricing via Amazon likely going to be the same as ordering directly off your site?
    No, just like eBay it's going to be higher to pay for the extra $7-8 it costs us.
  • I still have a good supply of Rockwood, but one of my co-workers just order two bags from Ace with a 20 percent discount (per my recommendation) and the whole process was easy. Ended up about $22 per 20-pound bag. Assuming you have an Ace within decent proximity, I can't see any reason to not go this route.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    Sent you a PM.
  • stlcharcoal
    We're good.....Thanks everybody!  Will send you guys an email with ordering instructions through this different gateway.
  • larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Ace is the place! Ordered mine and picked it up, simple.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    larryd said:
    Ace is the place! Ordered mine and picked it up, simple.
    Me also..great advice from Stlcharcoal!
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    no ace by me but just ordered 6 bags off the Rockwood site https://rockwood-charcoal.myshopify.com/ - pretty good process.  added my details and should be only a couple of clicks whenever I need more.

Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • My ACE store (Westlake) now keeps bags on the shelf.  I use the 50% off reward coupons to get it for $12.99 bag.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    My ACE store (Westlake) now keeps bags on the shelf.  I use the 50% off reward coupons to get it for $12.99 bag.

What a deal!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    My favorite local Ace store (Bombergers in Lititz, PA) also now carries it in stock and will also special order it for free store delivery if they are out of stock.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited January 2018
    My local go to supplier for Kingsford Briquet charcoal has started carrying a cheap knockoff no name brand.
    I'm down to my last bag and I'm starting to panic.
    I'm now in search of a new supplier.
    Can anyone point to a new online Kingsford Briquet supplier?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Shiff said:
    My favorite local Ace store (Bombergers in Lititz, PA) also now carries it in stock and will also special order it for free store delivery if they are out of stock.
    That's good to know, I used to live where I could see Bombergers from my back deck. Now it's a good 40 minute drive, but still shop there when I'm in the area. Lititz is a great little town, my grandparents' had a farm there and I went to high school there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stlcharcoal
    All the orders shipped this afternoon.

If anyone is interested in our smoking woods, they're available for order on the website now.  You have to click on catalog, then scroll all the way to the bottom.  No pictures or much info, just taking it slow this time.  They're shipped separately from the charcoal, so no savings in trying to combine with charcoal.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Whats the difference between the Rockwood and BGE lump?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    baychilla said:
    Everything

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• baychilla said:
    lots!!.  The BG lump we get at Eggfest seems to burn quicker.  I have 12 bags in storage....now to find an Ace dealer in the Rowlett/Rockwall area.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BGE lump is Royal Oak rebadged, but larger pieces than the red bags from Home Depot or Walmart.  
    Rockwood is Premium Lump, and burns hotter and much cleaner!
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    I've ordered some via my local Ace using the national website.  The "fun" part is the email stating itll be 1-8 full business days until the local store gets the stuff.  
    Near San Francisco in California
  • baychilla said:
    The difference between Rockwood and most other lumps is that Rockwood takes very little time to get to "good smoke." You need to let the nasty white smoke burn off before you put the meat in the egg. My understanding is because it is fully carbonized.
  • stlcharcoal
    baychilla said:
    I've ordered some via my local Ace using the national website.  The "fun" part is the email stating itll be 1-8 full business days until the local store gets the stuff.  
    All you need to do is find out which day your Ace gets their restock from the warehouse.  Mine here in town is Monday morning 0800.  So as long as I special order something a day or two ahead of time, I know I can pick it up Monday afternoon.

. My understanding is because it is fully carbonized.
    "Fully carbonized" kind of a misnomer.  "Fully carbonized charcoal" might be a little better.  No one sets the standard on that, but that's generally at least 75-80% carbonization.  Any less than that and it's "charred wood", not "charcoal".  Any higher than about 85%, and you're burning the carbon, and it's just going to get even more fragile.  This is kind of like what you have in the egg after you do a quick sear or pizza......the lump that just falls apart.

• @stlcharcoal, is there much of a difference in hardwoods in making lump?
  • stlcharcoal
    edited January 2018
    @stlcharcoal, is there much of a difference in hardwoods in making lump?

Yes and no.  I could write for hours, but I'll sum it up as this......

This isn't magic, but there's no guarantee on the process either.  Nothing is ever going to be perfect.  So you hedge your bets by using species that has the same density, hopefully have the same moisture content, etc.  And if those woods are oak, hickory, pecan, etc, then those are the flavors that most people smoke with anyway--so the little bit of volatiles/smoke you get off of the charcoal anyway, and any that may be undercarbonized, you're not going to be cooking with some bitter wood or very distinct (like walnut, mesquite, etc.)

Soft wood is a whole other story--that burns really fast and hot.  They use it in a lot of forges and kilns for glass and metal work.

Lot of differences on how you make it too......concrete "Missouri" kilns, steel kilns, underground pits, stone & mortar "beehive" kilns, retort, etc.  Then hot and fast or low and slow which depends on your clean air regulations.  Then the wood and the moisture content.  Here's a great U.N. document on how to make charcoal all the different ways:  http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5328E/X5328E00.htm
  • @stlcharcoal Thanks for the link, very interesting.
    Why is it that so much of the nation's charcoal comes from Missouri?
  • stlcharcoal
    @stlcharcoal Thanks for the link, very interesting.
    Why is it that so much of the nation's charcoal comes from Missouri?
    It's where a lot of the nations rough cut hardwood comes from.  The Mark Twain and Ozark National Forests are full of oak and hickory.  Lots of hardwood flooring, furniture, railroad ties, and pallets come from Missouri.  All though pieces too knotty or warped gotta go somewhere.

Also, history.  In the 1800's, Missouri was a huge source for metals and steel production.  They needed charcoal to fire those mills and that's how it all started.  Missouri's charcoal production is probably less than 1/100 of what it was back in the day.  There used to be hundreds of plants.  Lump charcoal died off due mass marketing and popularity of the briquette.  The EPA coming into Missouri in the 1990s was the last nail in the coffin for half the ones that were still around (happened shortly after the governor's family sold their charcoal plant.)
  • I figured there was history involved. I could not imagine it was all due to the availability of the wood. 
  • stlcharcoal
    I figured there was history involved. I could not imagine it was all due to the availability of the wood. 

Here's a great read if you're really into learning more:  http://a.co/0bdUhAG