Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood - where to buy online

Options
2»

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Watched some cool videos on YouTube about the Missouri kilns, and the Charcoal making process.  Very informative and interesting history from St Louis area.  
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    The use of afterburners (due to air emission standards) is also interesting.  My career in steam power plants- electric generation was similar.  I operated boilers in 70’s and dealt with new EPA regs in late 80’s up to today. The new world of green power (wind & solar)  has driven the cost of electricity thru the roof. Many similarities to Charcoal production cost’s driven by environmental guidelines!
    If the EPA had its way with the ozone laws, all outdoor grilling/smoking would be prohibited.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The use of afterburners (due to air emission standards) is also interesting.  My career in steam power plants- electric generation was similar.  I operated boilers in 70’s and dealt with new EPA regs in late 80’s up to today. The new world of green power (wind & solar)  has driven the cost of electricity thru the roof. Many similarities to Charcoal production cost’s driven by environmental guidelines!
    If the EPA had its way with the ozone laws, all outdoor grilling/smoking would be prohibited.

Yeah that's what came into play that put a lot of companies out of business.  Paying for the propane to fire that smoke up to 1500F was a huge expense--especially when propane went nuts about 10 yrs ago.  But any white smoke coming off that stack and huge fines to follow.

There's a really cool system that a French company makes.  It's a retort system, and it uses the heat from the charcoal to light the next retort, then the excess to make electricity.  These guys came over and visited with us a few years ago http://carbonex.fr/index.html   There should be a good video on the website that shows how it all works.