Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant Pot: Anyone have/use/want one of these?

Options
 They just dropped $60 today on amazon and I was looking for input.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    There's a few threads on here about 'em.

I didn't notice a sale - bought one about an hour ago and the price seemed to be what the price has been.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options

I didn't notice a sale - bought one about an hour ago and the price seemed to be what the price has been.
    The 8 qt was $219 yesterday, dropped to $159. The 6 qt has been stand at $119
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    Gotcha - that's why I didn't notice - just got the 6.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do it. I use mine 2-3 times per week. I'll often go home at lunch and start chicken/pork roast/beef roast for dinner and it's ready an waiting a couple hours later. I can do beans from dry in just over an hour. Mashed potatoes are excellent in it and can hold for 2-3 hours. I do a pasta dish with dry noodles that is start-finish 20 minutes.
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I got an 8 qt and need some no-fail recipes.. So far it seems to take a really long time to get to pressure.. Burnt a few "Chinese" recipes.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    I got an 8 qt and need some no-fail recipes.. So far it seems to take a really long time to get to pressure.. Burnt a few "Chinese" recipes.
    Brother Phat, if you are having problems with stuff burning or scorching, use a trivet or improvised wire grate on the bottom. This will also allow the unit to reach pressure faster as your food is not sitting in the liquid. By using a trivet, it’s only having to heat the liquid and not the cold food sitting in the liquid.  I use this trick myself. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I placed the order, and right before I did, the 4 year warranty went from $10 to $30, so I opted out. It also went from prime to free shipping for prime members. Guess I drug my feet a little too much.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options

Got my 8qt on Black Friday for $80 on Amazon... sorry to rub it in...

BUT it's an awesome tool - wait till you simply make hard boiled eggs in 'em!  

I made a killer mushroom risotto in it over Christmas that was gone in a heartbeat.  

You're gonna love it!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I use mine mostly for pot roast, chili type recipes. For the most amazing flavor results, look at Amy+Jacky recipes: 

http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com
    Judy in San Diego
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Love mine, often use it a couple of times in a day. Here is some brisket (to stay topical) with IP cauliflower souffle, topped with home cured bacon bits and Asiago cheese. Bacon fried in IP before starting souffle, just sopped excess fat out and continued with recipe, no cleaning. 

One of the things I really like is that it concentrates your cooking efforts into relatively short efforts at the beginning and end of the cooking leaving the rest of the time free. This complements what you have to do with your BBQ efforts so that I find it much easier to control and time a full meal. It also excels at keeping things warm should the brisket take longer than expected (*cough*).

It is also the best way to reheat brisket that I have found. You can get it pretty close to the freshly sliced moisture/texture without too much sacrifice of the bark texture.

It excels at 'one pot meals'. I often cook rice, but do a quick release, fluff/stir, layer with greens (kale, chard, quartered bsprouts,..), Next layer would be nuts, raisins, etc. if desired and then topped with a chopped up leftover protein. Make a thin sauce that will complement whatever you concocted, pour it over the top, seal, high pressure for 2 mins or so, natural pressure release. Open, stir and serve. Elapsed time, about half an hour.

• kaybee
    Options
    I forgot to mention stock (of any flavour). I don't keep stock 'on hand' any more, I make it as I need it. At some point in the day before I need it, I gather up whatever scraps I plan to use, drop them in the IP, fill with water (to the marked level, we'll be cooking under pressure and you don't want bad things to happen...), add seasonings/aromatics if using, seal it up, high pressure for 30 mins or so. You can quick release and strain immediately or just leave it until you need it. I haven't noticed a difference. You may want to make sure the Keep Warm function is off though if you leave it otherwise it will simmer. Fresh stock in one hour and it is certainly the best I have ever made if not the best I have tasted.

For real instant stock needs, I use Better Than Bouillon. Try a little (1/4-1 tsp depending on taste, IP size) in your rice water, especially with rice mixes, like wild rice or beans. It really enhances the flavour body of the rice.

• kaybee
    Options
    I also don't keep cans of beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc. Only dried. Much less pantry space and I can cook them from dried in 30-45 minutes, seasoned to my taste.
  • kaybee
    Options
    My brother just bought an RV and the last thing he wants is additional things to store. Sold him on the IP just on the pantry space savings alone, not to mention the fact that they didn't need the rice cooker they were planning to take and also got another cook surface, Crock-Pot, pressure cooker, ... in the bargain.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Which model 8 qt are you guys talking about?  I see an 8 qt 6 in 1 on amazon this morning for $109 and an 8 qt 9 in 1 for $159. Which model is the way to go?
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Which model 8 qt are you guys talking about?  I see an 8 qt 6 in 1 on amazon this morning for $119 and an 8 qt 9 in 1 for $159. Which one is the way to go. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Our 6 quart Ultra showed up yesterday. My wife used it this morning to make hard boiled eggs, she said they came out perfectly.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Which model 8 qt are you guys talking about?  I see an 8 qt 6 in 1 on amazon this morning for $109 and an 8 qt 9 in 1 for $159. Which model is the way to go?
    I was wondering the same thing. The cheaper is the Lux and the more expensive is the Duo plus.

Found this article that describes the different versions. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    kaybee said:
    I forgot to mention stock (of any flavour). I don't keep stock 'on hand' any more, I make it as I need it. At some point in the day before I need it, I gather up whatever scraps I plan to use, drop them in the IP, fill with water (to the marked level, we'll be cooking under pressure and you don't want bad things to happen...), add seasonings/aromatics if using, seal it up, high pressure for 30 mins or so. You can quick release and strain immediately or just leave it until you need it. I haven't noticed a difference. You may want to make sure the Keep Warm function is off though if you leave it otherwise it will simmer. Fresh stock in one hour and it is certainly the best I have ever made if not the best I have tasted.

For real instant stock needs, I use Better Than Bouillon. Try a little (1/4-1 tsp depending on taste, IP size) in your rice water, especially with rice mixes, like wild rice or beans. It really enhances the flavour body of the rice.

Forgot about stock! The unit is amazing for that. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    vb4677 said:

I made a killer mushroom risotto in it over Christmas that was gone in a heartbeat.  

You're gonna love it!
    Enough talk about the risotto.  Post the recipe!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Which model 8 qt are you guys talking about?  I see an 8 qt 6 in 1 on amazon this morning for $119 and an 8 qt 9 in 1 for $159. Which one is the way to go. 
    I went for the 8qt 9-in-1 but I’m pretty sure the 7-in-1 is just as good being that the 2 extra features are sterilizing and eggs, which I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you can do manually on the 7-in-1
  • vb4677
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Lowcountrygamecock
    Here's what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1VC13K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• vb4677
    Options
    vb4677 said:

You're gonna love it!
    Here ya go @Spaightlabs !!

MUSHROOM RISOTTO

YIELD: Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients
    1 quart (950ml) homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
    1 ounce (30g) dried porcini mushrooms (optional)
    1 1/2 pounds (700g) mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini, oyster, and chanterelle, trimmed and thinly sliced, stems reserved
    4 tablespoons (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
    4 tablespoons (50g) unsalted butter
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 6 ounces; 170g)
    2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 1/2 cups (about 300g) risotto rice, such as arborio or vialone nano
    2 teaspoons (10ml) soy sauce
    1 tablespoon (15ml) light miso paste
    3/4 cup (175ml) dry white wine
    1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream (optional; see note)
    1 ounce (30g) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
    Handful finely minced mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, chervil, tarragon, and/or chives

Directions

1. Place chicken stock and dried mushrooms (if using) in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high power until simmering, about 5 minutes. Remove from microwave. Using a slotted spoon, transfer porcini to a cutting board and roughly chop. Add fresh mushroom scraps to container with porcini-infused stock and set aside.

2. Heat olive oil and butter in the base of a pressure cooker over high heat, swirling, until foaming subsides. Add fresh mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until excess moisture has evaporated and mushrooms are well browned, about 8 minutes.

3. Add onion, garlic, and chopped porcini (if using) and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and aromatic, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until rice is evenly coated in oil and toasted but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. (Rice grains should start to look like tiny ice cubes: translucent around the edges and cloudy in the center.) Stir in soy sauce and miso paste until evenly incorporated.

4. Add wine and cook, stirring, until raw alcohol smell has cooked off and wine has almost fully evaporated, about 2 minutes.

5. Pour stock into pot through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding mushroom stems. Scrape any grains of rice or pieces of onion from side of pressure cooker so that they are fully submerged. Close pressure cooker and bring up to low pressure (10 psi on most units). Cook at low pressure for 5 minutes, then depressurize cooker, either by running it under cold water if it is not electric or using the steam-release valve if it is electric.

6. Open pressure cooker and stir to combine rice and cooking liquid; a creamy consistency should begin to develop. Stir in cream (if using), cheese, and herbs. If risotto is too soupy, cook for a few minutes longer, stirring, until it begins to thicken more. If it is too thick, stir in some hot water. It should flow slowly when you drag a trail through it with a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately on hot plates, passing extra cheese at the table.

• kaybee
    Options
    The souffle recipe (looks much harder than it is):

Cauliflower Soufflé

Makes: 8 | Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:

• 1 head Cauliflower
    • 2 large Eggs
    • 2 Tablespoons Butter + 1 teaspoon for greasing
    • 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
    • 2 ounces Cream Cheese
    • 1/2 cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
    • 1/2 cup Asiago Cheese shredded
    • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    • 1/4 cup Chives chopped
    • 6 slices Cooked Bacon crumbled

Directions:

Fry bacon in Instant Pot using saute medium if using.

Remove green parts and core Cauliflower. Cut into chunks.

Add Eggs, Butter, Cream, Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Asiago, Cheddar Cheese, Salt and Pepper to a Food Processor and process until smooth and frothy.

Add Cauliflower and pulse until well blended.

Remove Blade and fold in Chives.

Pour into a greased Casserole Dish.

Add 1 cup of water to Pressure Cooker cooking pot and place a Trivet. Place Casserole Dish onto Trivet.

Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve. Cook at High Pressure for 15 minutes. When Beep sounds, wait 10 minutes and then release pressure.

Top with more Cheese, Fresh Chives and Crumbled Bacon.

If desired, brown top of souffle under broiler before serving.

Notes:

1. IP Mini - halve ingredients.
    2. Try seasonings beyond salt and pepper. Indian flavours (turmeric, garam masala, cumin, cardamom, ...) work well.

Source: https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-cauliflower-souffle/
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    vb4677 said:

You're gonna love it!
    Here ya go @Spaightlabs !!

MUSHROOM RISOTTO

YIELD: Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients
    1 quart (950ml) homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
    1 ounce (30g) dried porcini mushrooms (optional)
    1 1/2 pounds (700g) mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini, oyster, and chanterelle, trimmed and thinly sliced, stems reserved
    4 tablespoons (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
    4 tablespoons (50g) unsalted butter
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 6 ounces; 170g)
    2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 1/2 cups (about 300g) risotto rice, such as arborio or vialone nano
    2 teaspoons (10ml) soy sauce
    1 tablespoon (15ml) light miso paste
    3/4 cup (175ml) dry white wine
    1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream (optional; see note)
    1 ounce (30g) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
    Handful finely minced mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, chervil, tarragon, and/or chives

Directions

1. Place chicken stock and dried mushrooms (if using) in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high power until simmering, about 5 minutes. Remove from microwave. Using a slotted spoon, transfer porcini to a cutting board and roughly chop. Add fresh mushroom scraps to container with porcini-infused stock and set aside.

2. Heat olive oil and butter in the base of a pressure cooker over high heat, swirling, until foaming subsides. Add fresh mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until excess moisture has evaporated and mushrooms are well browned, about 8 minutes.

3. Add onion, garlic, and chopped porcini (if using) and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and aromatic, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until rice is evenly coated in oil and toasted but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. (Rice grains should start to look like tiny ice cubes: translucent around the edges and cloudy in the center.) Stir in soy sauce and miso paste until evenly incorporated.

4. Add wine and cook, stirring, until raw alcohol smell has cooked off and wine has almost fully evaporated, about 2 minutes.

5. Pour stock into pot through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding mushroom stems. Scrape any grains of rice or pieces of onion from side of pressure cooker so that they are fully submerged. Close pressure cooker and bring up to low pressure (10 psi on most units). Cook at low pressure for 5 minutes, then depressurize cooker, either by running it under cold water if it is not electric or using the steam-release valve if it is electric.

6. Open pressure cooker and stir to combine rice and cooking liquid; a creamy consistency should begin to develop. Stir in cream (if using), cheese, and herbs. If risotto is too soupy, cook for a few minutes longer, stirring, until it begins to thicken more. If it is too thick, stir in some hot water. It should flow slowly when you drag a trail through it with a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately on hot plates, passing extra cheese at the table.

Thank you thank you thank you!

The second I am done with my Whole 30 this is gonna be my victory lap!