Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butts! What temp do you cook at? What temp do you pull at?

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376
I'm setting up a cook tomorrow afternoon, for lunch the following day. I'll probably go for 110c / 230f on my Smobot, and the past two times I've cooked them I've pulled at 90c / 195f, but I find the butts are sometimes a little dry on the outer layers, so I'm never sure. But then I've never used a smobot overnight before, when usually the temp will flucuate

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I do mine at whatever Temp I need to have it done by a target time. I do leave a couple hour wiggle room. I normally do mine at 250 F. I cook until 165 F int temp then add more rub about 1/4 cup or so wrap twice in heavy duty foil. I then go to 205 F. I wrap in a towel and cooler for 1 hour. I like my pork butts to fall apart with little effort. This also makes a lot of juice which I just mix in while pulling. 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I used to cook mine at 250°, took about 1.5-2hrs per lb. Overnight pretty much required. Now, I cook at 320°, start at 9-10 AM and finish by dinner time. No need for a temp controller that way either. I don't pay attention to the finish temp, I just leave it on til the probe meets no resistance. It's probably 200-205°, but I really haven't looked in years.

The only reason I would ever FTC a butt is if it finishes well before I'm planning to eat. Usually, I take it off the egg, pull and eat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I go between 325-350 and it averages about 45 minutes per pound. This is the only way I do them anymore. Pull @ 195-205. Then double foil and in to a cooler with towels if they are finished before we are ready to eat.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I find 225 / 230F slow. Generally do 275F then when I get bored in the stall, bump to 325F to finish. Pull around 205F but only when it probes like butter. 

Use jam to coat as well, works wonders on the bark.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    @eoin - Jam? You mean rub with jam, then add rub? I normally use mustard. Any particular fruit jam you go for?

Thanks everyone. Time isn't an issue - I want it to take an age (past ones have been 19hrs) because I'm heading out at 4pm tomorrow and will probably put it on before I go out, to be ready the next morning. 

Seems like i shohld probably pull at 96c / 205 which is hotter than usual but I'm all for that. Will report back!
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I am same as sixegg
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Eoin
    Options
    TheToast said:
    @eoin - Jam? You mean rub with jam, then add rub? I normally use mustard. Any particular fruit jam you go for?

Thanks everyone. Time isn't an issue - I want it to take an age (past ones have been 19hrs) because I'm heading out at 4pm tomorrow and will probably put it on before I go out, to be ready the next morning. 

Seems like i shohld probably pull at 96c / 205 which is hotter than usual but I'm all for that. Will report back!
    Mustard first. Then salt and pepper. Then jam, usually apricot but a lot on here do the @YukonRon and use peach (hard to find here), then finally a spice mix. The jam makes the bark amazing.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    +1 on running at 250 until IT of 160. Then I put it in a pan and cover with a cup of apple juice, wrap it in foil and back on the grill until 200 or so and probes like butter. I will be trying a turbo butt soon.
    LBGE
    AL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Get a good fire, good smoke at the lowest stable temp you can.  225-250 F is fine.  Put your butt on and smoke it until it reaches the stall, around 160F, then crank it up to about 300F until it's finished.

Lots of latitude with pork butt, but generally when it's around 200F start checking tenderness.  Do not rely on temperature.  Stab it with a skewer and when it's like butter, or the bone pulls out, it's done.  Take it off.

These are super hard to fck up. You can overcook the sh!t out of them and it's still acceptable.
    Options
    @Eoin when you put the peach preserves on at the beginning of the cook, doesn't the sugar burn at 300+?  Whenever I've done @YukonRon's recipe I put the preserves on the last 30 minutes or so.   Am I missing out on something special? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Eoin
    Options
    @GoooDawgs no problems with burning finishing at 325F, the jam is on from the start.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    KISS.
    A rub with some oil of your choice and dust with salt and pepper. Add garlic and onion powder or granules if you like.
    I cook on the XLBGE at 350 until an IT of 185 ~ 190 because I prefer sliced.
    The Lang likes to run between 275 and 350 so that's where I cook if using it. The Lang gives more opportunity to nurture brain cells and solve the mysteries of life with friends. It also keeps the wife away longer. The egg is great for a set it and forget it cook if I have other things to do like run to the store for more brain cell lube!