Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless skinless chicken breast

Options
have been gifted 34 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast. Any ideas on up and coming cooks?
Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    So many great recipes, but the #1 rule is don't overcook them. Seriously. 
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ^^^ 148F SV  155F max any other way
    Options
    I see a lot of stir fry in your future 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    My wife's two favorite boneless, skinless chicken breast dishes are really simple, and really, really good:
    1. Melissa Clark's "Sweet and Spicy Grilled Chicken."  She argues that because chicken breasts are thicker  on one end and thinner on the other, they cook unevenly, which makes them impossible to get right all the way across.  To fix that, she says to pound them to an even 1/2" thickness, add a spicy rub, and grill them hot and fast like a thin steak.  This recipe is mostly just brown sugar and coriander, an unusual combination, but I'm telling you, it's DELICIOUS!  And,
    2. (Not a BGE dish) I put a rub on chicken breasts, DP Jamaican Firewalk is a favorite, but pretty much any rub you like on chicken works fine, brown them hot and fast in a skillet, pour in a 1/4" or so white wine and/or apple cider, cover it, reduce the heat and just barely simmer it for 10-15 minutes, till the Thermapen registers 160° (she doesn't like chicken cooked any less).  Take the chicken out, crank up the heat and reduce the liquid till there isn't much left and it's super tasty.  Slice the chicken, plate it, pour that tasty sauce over the slices.  Really, really good, super easy.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    boneless, skinless, tasteless.  
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Chicken tits will take on about any flavor you throw at them.  I cook them atleast 3 Times a week.   Dry rubs or wet marinades.  The trick is to cook hot n fast and not over cook.  I normally cook them on the mini at 425-450 and will pull about 152-155.   That temp give me the texture and juiciness we like.  

Try SPOG as a base rub.   I also like DP Mediterraneanish and Tsunami Spin. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is my secret weapon filling for enchiladas or empanadas: http://carlsbadcravings.com/easy-slow-cooker-shredded-mexican-chicken-recipe/
    Use the recipe as is for enchiladas. For empanadas, make sure to drain well and add cream cheese. 
    Grill The chicken raised direct @400 degrees with your favorite rub and glaze. My favorite is a raspberry chipotle glaze.
    stir fry is always a crowd pleaser. 
    Chicken caprese is awesome when made with fresh ingredients. 
    Coat them with mayonnaise, then dredge in seasoned panko breadcrumbs and bake.
    Chicken parmigiana. Chicken kiev. Chicken cordon bleu.
    Pound breasts - make chicken fried chicken. Serve with green chili jalapeno gravy. 
    Uhmmmm - ok, that’s all off the top of my head. 

Oh yeah, chicken salad.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I wish I could find a link.  America's Test Kitchen had an episode where they showed how to trim boneless chicken breasts to get them a consistent thickness.  They basically started a slice from the thin part going about 1/3 through the thick part. Flipped that over and did it again.  

anyway - the most important thing is to get them somewhat thin and an even thickness.

From there, you can do a zillion things - grilled with any rub/merinade you want.  picatta or Gorgonzola are both awesome.  

The key is an even thickness and don't overcook (as has been stated above).
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options

Here's my recipe for cooking BSCB;s where we eat some as they are done, then slice and/or cube for salads and lunches later or to freeze for pot pies and the like. I usually cook a full packet of Costco BSCB's at once... season as you like - we don't simply for the re-use in other meals.

325-350F Raised Indirect

Until IT of 165F

About an hour or so...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I rub them with DP Mole rub and either grill or pan fry.  Throw it in with some basmati rice and your favorite verde salsa.  Love it
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I would grill up a good 10 lbs of it, dice, and freeze. Great to have on hand for salads, white chili, etc.. Vacuum pack in smaller portions if you can
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Brine some in pickle juice and make chick-fil-a sandwiches. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    For whole breasts I'll either sous vide or bake. I'll sous vide when mainly wanting to dice or shred for other uses.

For grilling I'll almost always make paillards, soak in a strong marinade for a couple of hours, and then grill quickly.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk