Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Stew & Biscuits on the LBGE

The Mrs and I were in the mood for a little comfort food so I sliced up 2 1/2 lbs of chuck roast, placed the pieces into a shallow pan with a little beer and some hickory smoke.

An hour and 40 minutes later, I emptied the pan into my dutch oven along with carrots, Yukon gold potatoes, onions, garlic, a little Worcestershire, bay leaves, thyme, and beef broth.

Put the lid on let it cook for 3 1/2 hours

Pulled the dutch oven off and put some drop biscuits on the Egg

Baked for 20 minutes

Scooped up a bowl of beef stew, topped with a little fresh parsley, and plated with a hot biscuit

This hit the spot! Thanks for looking.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    That looks bomb
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2018
    Wow. A bit of a new method (to me) which is why I love to read this forum. Well that and to see what Nichole is cooking. Love me some stew.

True story.....bought everything for a stew earlier in the week.....got home, and had forgot the meat. Any way, worked my way thru the week with what I bought.....this week I will have me some stew going one evening. Do mine over rice....but would join you any day for a bowl of yours. And those drop biscuits.....yum.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Nice meal and nice DO!
    Snellville, GA

• That looks great! We've had the perfect run of weather for dishes like that, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Wow. A bit of a new method (to me) which is why I love to read this forum. Well that and to see what Nichole is cooking. Love me some stew.

True story.....bought everything for a stew earlier in the week.....got home, and had forgot the meat. Any way, worked my way thru the week with what I bought.....this week I will have me some stew going one evening. Do mine over rice....but would join you any day for a bowl of yours. And those drop biscuits.....yum.
    Sounds like you’ll get your stew fix soon.  I’m sure I’ll be having some over rice in the next day or two as well.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Wow!  That looks amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I like the way you started the beef.  I’ll be using that idea.  

Really nice cook. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Love this.  Been making a pot of soup or stew every 3 days or so since the weather turned and it’s been fun.  Your stew and biscuits look fantastic.
  • That looks awesome !
    nice cook and pics
    Valley City, Ohio
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    crushed it
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Wow... great cook and process....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I've been jonesing for this meal for about a month now. Hope it turns out as good as yours, when I finally get my act together.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    I like the way you started the beef.  I’ll be using that idea.  

Really nice cook. 
    Thanks! Seemed like a good way to get some smoke flavor as opposed to the usual quick sear in the DO.  

Legume said:
    Love this.  Been making a pot of soup or stew every 3 days or so since the weather turned and it’s been fun.  Your stew and biscuits look fantastic.
    That looks great! We've had the perfect run of weather for dishes like that, too.
    Hope everyone dealing with the unusually cold weather comes out of it safely.

caliking said:
    I've been jonesing for this meal for about a month now. Hope it turns out as good as yours, when I finally get my act together.  
    I’m sure yours will be great.  Hoping to see a post on it!

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Bay Area, CA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    I have to try this!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Nice cook R2.... what temps did you use, I am assuming you went indirect
    Cary NC
  • R2Egg2Q
    jad said:
    Nice cook R2.... what temps did you use, I am assuming you went indirect
    Yes, indirect (over my plate setter) at about 250 on the dome. Went a little hotter late in the cook as my hunger increased.  Biscuits were at 400 indirect.

Bay Area, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Just like leftovers, your post looks even better a day later!  This would have been great down here last week when we had our annual three day long winter!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    You made that look so easy! 

Now I'm pulling a chuck roast out of the freezer. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice cook. But not sure if i Like to cook or the Wagner more. Nice pot. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited January 2018
    Chubbs said:
    Nice cook. But not sure if i Like to cook or the Wagner more. Nice pot. 
    Thanks Chubbs!  Long time no see.  I went through a phase where I was collecting/restoring old CI and that was one of my finds.  My CI hunting phase didn’t last long as I quickly ran out of space for it.  

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Bay Area, CA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Just looked the photos. I'm already on the couch......horizontally.  Nothing beats a simple classic. @SGH Seal of Approval worthy! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited January 2018
    @R2Egg2Q That looks great. Care to share the biscuit recipe??
    LBGE
    AL
  • R2Egg2Q
    @R2Egg2Q That looks great. Care to share the biscuit recipe??
    Sure: https://greenleafbbq.wordpress.com/tag/drop-biscuit-recipe/. They used to operate a bbq products shop here but switched to another business years ago but their blog post remains.  

Bay Area, CA
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    @R2Egg2Q Thanks brother. I have a Black pepper biscuit recipe the wife loves but I like to switch it up some, these look delicious. I’ll be trying them soon!
    LBGE
    AL