Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storage ideas for spices and rubs

good morning
how are you guys storing your spices and rubs?should i be keeping them in the fridge or freezer?my rubs in shaker bottles especialy seem to get hard and sticky after a few months in the cupboard.spices not so much. any advice would be apreciated.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    I store mine in a couple 2 gallon Ziploc bags in the cabinet. Seems to remedy the humidity issue
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    They will stay fresher longer if you keep them in the freezer.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    edited January 2018
    spices last years if in a dark place, herbs less than a year. i buy herbs in small quantity and use fresh from the garden most of the year ( i have a kettle grill in the window at camp growing sage, oregano, thyme, and rosemary for the winter). the sugar in your rubs is the problem, the few i have are opened, taking care not to damage the seal for reuse and are frozen, though im buying more non sugar rubs now and add brown sugar as needed. also have salted basil in the fridge, a planter with bay and another with keifer lime =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2018
    Depends, we have racks mounted in the kitchen pantry and they keep pretty good in there. Although one has to be triple wrapped in zip lockes and then boxed =)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I just use them. Take a knife and break up the chunks and sprinkle away.  =):s
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    My recommendation is to hit Amazon and buy a vacuum cannister for coffee. It'll keep your spices fresh up to a year.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    My spice rack is the upright freezer door.
    Clump kills.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    I use old style mason jars from the grocery store like people can in. They are large enough to fit my dizzy pig and others inside and still use the original container for shaking out. Not having clumping problems and keep in pantry.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    edited January 2018
    Gordon's Grub Rub suggests removing lid and microwaving for up to 30 seconds if clumping happens. Guessing because of the sugar content.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    My approach:
    • Buy whole spices and toast/grind at time of use (like you would coffee)
    • Buy modest quantities and use/replace more frequently for freshness
    • I use ziplocs instead of jars to manage cabinet space
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I vacuum them down to about 80 millibar, then refill with argon gas to ambient pressure (1 bar approximately) and store at -80C.
    I vacuum them down to about 80 millibar, then refill with argon gas to ambient pressure (1 bar approximately) and store at -80C.
    nitrogen would be more cost efficient and skip the chill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I hit them with the flux capacitor and send them back to their picked/ manufactured date, then recall as needed. No storage worries now, though my hair has become much whiter from chronic FP use.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.