Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Glorified BS pizza oven?

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,527
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAuWBmffcpw
Their reply to someone criticising it as a BS knockoff...

Hello Mr. ..., Thank you for your message and observation. For the past few years our team of chefs have had the opportunity and pleasure of working with Blackstone very closely on the new Fornoteca Duetto Pizza Ovens. They are not ripping off of Blackstone. The chefs goal were to introduce an industrial offering to the market. By making all the below changes and add on’s we strongly believe they accomplished their goal. Please view the below. • The new Fornoteca Duetto frame is a solid squared frame which makes it durable, long lasting and extremely sturdy to move around from party to party / dinning room to dining room / event to event or for any outdoor living set up. Also aesthetically much more presentable. • The new Fornoteca Duetto has 4 industrial swivel locking wheels which are approximately 6” wider than the oven making it much more mobile, easier to move around and not top heavy. Also aesthetically much more presentable. • The new Fornoteca Duetto has a 7” high port opening and a 17” wide port opening which will give you a much better visual on what’s in the oven (no bending down) also giving you the opportunity to cook much more than pizzas. For example, by adding a flat cast iron plate and by controlling the temperature you can now cook wings, ribs, sausage, veggies etc…it truly is a mini stone oven. • The new Fornoteca Duetto bottom stone is flush with edge, this helps avoids accidents when putting in your pizza. Less maintenance, and user friendly. • The new Fornoteca Duetto has industrial greased bearings which are know to last. This will reduce the need to replace parts. • The new Fornoteca Duetto comes with a forged shaft which is welded directly to the turntable. No adjustments to be made, comes pre-set. • The new Fornoteca Duetto comes with long lasting industrial dials. • The new Fornoteca Duetto comes with long lasting industrial igniter conveniently located if need replacing. • The new Fornoteca Duetto comes with a stainless steel magnetic door which keeps propane tank hidden, clean look and at the same time providing advertising space if needed. For example Pete’s Mobile Pizza Catering Call 123-4567. Also aesthetically much more presentable. • The new Fornoteca Duetto will also be available in natural gas. • The new Fornoteca Duetto has 1 large stainless steel removable / fold away shelf. This helps keep the footprint of the oven small and practical. Also having stainless steel shelf will not crack, bend or discolour in the sun. Also aesthetically much more presentable. • The new Fornoteca Duetto is easily converted into counter to by simply gripping the padded handles and lifting the oven straight up to detach from stand. • The new Fornoteca Duetto comes with an industrial sized rotisserie motor which can be run on batteries or plug in to an outlet. • The new Fornoteca Duetto comes with an industrial long lasting motor switch which found on the face of the oven making it an easy to switch on / off. • The new Fornoteca Duetto comes with 2 burners, 60,000 on right and 40,000 on left. Total of 100,000 BTU’s. Can reach ideal temperature within 7 minutes. • The new Fornoteca Duetto handles are strategically place on the lower part of the oven keeping them cool and safe for moving and lifting. Also aesthetically much more presentable. • The new Fornoteca Duetto Oven comes fully assemble, only assemble required is the stand (8 bolts). • The new Fornoteca Duetto now comes with a 1 year manufactures warranty. Hope this information helps, Please fell free to contact me at anytime if you should have any other questions, it’s always a pleasure. Kind regards, Chef Carmelo of Food Supplies 1-800- 387-1098

canuckland

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Lots of people love the Blackstone pizza oven but complain about the cheaper construction. This might be a great answer that Blackstone missed out on.
    But at that price point there are probably better options.
    I don't think it gets enough heat back down to the top of the pie.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited January 2018
    Options
    2,000 Loonies?!?! Youch!

I like the lack of side shelves - I never bothered installing them on my Blackstone.

I think the deficiencies of the Blackstone are fairly minor and if Blackstone were to put another hundred bucks worth of upgraded parts and materials they'd have an unbeatable machine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    One would think that if they were so confident of their more robust design, they would offer more than a 1 yr warranty. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The music in the video is pretty awesome.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    2,000 Loonies?!?! Youch!

I like the lack of side shelves - I never bothered installing them on my Blackstone.

I think the deficiencies of the Blackstone are fairly minor and if Blackstone were to put another hundred bucks worth of upgraded parts and materials they'd have an unbeatable machine.

That's like 8 BSs. Lol
    100,000 BTUs got my attention though.

Plan on upgrading my rotis motor with income tax $$$ soon.  

I agree on the alleged deficiencies.  Hacks with WFOs giving glowing reviews, with side-by-side comparisons on this thing when it first came out, also got my attention.

I could give a flying rat's a$$ if my backyard looks like a Home Depot grill coral as Kenji said, as long as it quickly and conveniently cranks out a pie like this...

I feel the same about their griddle lineup.  They all deliver at such a low pricepoint.  I just keep them all in my garage to extend their life, and rip pies and diner breakfasts in January when it's sub-zero. Lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Focker said:

That's like 8 BSs. Lol

In GWN it's like 4 BS, not 8, lol.  Cheapest BS price I can find here is $549 
    https://www.amazon.ca/Blackstone-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-Cooking/dp/B00CELFJ4A
    https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/blackstone-patio-oven-bstn1009.html

Still kicking myself for not picking a floor display BS for under 200 loonies couple of years ago at Lowes ;(
    canuckland
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    We just made 3 nice pies last night in the blackstone located in the great white north. I love mine'
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Focker said:

That's like 8 BSs. Lol

In GWN it's like 4 BS, not 8, lol.  Cheapest BS price I can find here is $549 
    https://www.amazon.ca/Blackstone-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-Cooking/dp/B00CELFJ4A
    https://www.wayfair.ca/outdoor/pdp/blackstone-patio-oven-bstn1009.html

Still kicking myself for not picking a floor display BS for under 200 loonies couple of years ago at Lowes ;(
    Blackstone lists it at $299.99 (USD) with free shipping to a US address. There is a 10% discount with coupon code ToddToven10. $270 is a tempting price, but I don't know if there's a way to make it work for Canadians unless you also have a US address you can have it shipped to. You might check with BS, but I didn't see Canada mentioned as a shipping option on their US website. 

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product/pizza-oven/

Amazon (US) has it for $275 USD (free Prime shipping), but Amazon.ca is $549! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut