Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Style Ribs

Options

1 rack of St. Louis style ribs tonight from Berkshire Heritage Pig. These are black pigs with sweeter and darker meat. Originally bred in Berkshire, England. In Japan they are known as Kurobuta, they are to pork what Waygu and Kobe are to beef. The night before coated with light Karo syrup and powered Honey rub, set in fridge. Next day set the Big Green Egg up with pecan and peach wood added to BGE lump charcoal. Got the temp up to 325-350. Rubbed ribs with worchestershire and used Oak Ridge BBQ’s Dominator rub. Cooked for 1 hour 40 minutes. Sauced the last 20 minutes with a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog regular and their Tennessee Red, removed and rested under foil for 10 minutes. Unbelievable!!!

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Mountain View, CA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Bravo sir!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Very nice!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yes!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Those look incredible.  You did yourself a disservice with the title thread though.  Those aren't regular spares - those are Turbo Berkshire Spares!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    Wow!! Those look great
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Awesome! Look like Baby backs to me though. No matter, great ribs is great ribs. Bravo!

i did a couple racks recently and they cooked faster than the standard ones I regularly cook. What say you? Cook time same, less, or more?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    They cooked the same time for me. Even though they have more curvature than typical St. Louis, that's what they are. I get them on special order from Sierra Meat and Seafood out of Reno.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    Options
    Those look incredible.  You did yourself a disservice with the title thread though.  Those aren't regular spares - those are Turbo Berkshire Spares!
    Good point on the description. I'll think more next time.
  • billyray
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Awesome! Look like Baby backs to me though. No matter, great ribs is great ribs. Bravo!

i did a couple racks recently and they cooked faster than the standard ones I regularly cook. What say you? Cook time same, less, or more?
    I brain farted and added the babyback pic. on the original post, you were right. Here are the St. Louis Berkshire pics