Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I changed too much up at once and kind of borked a rack of baby backs. Swamp Venom and The Rib Man

Options
baychilla
baychilla Posts: 387

I've had some of the "Ribmans" sauces sitting in my pantry for a while. I finally decided to give them a try. I should've tried them on their own first. They're supposed to start off Hot (Holy Fuc@) and get hotter. Christ on a Bike is the next step up followed by Holy Mother of God. On their own I think they'd be a fine hot sauce. Something to slather on ribs, maybe the Holy Fuc@ - the others not so much.

I also decided to use a commercially available "hot" dry rub (One of the unfavorable reviews on Amazon claims in part "The end product was so hot as to be almost inedible to anyone but the most loyal "Heat Freak"...This rub is very one dimensional and if it has -any- subtle flavors or nuances they are masked by an overwhelming amount of heat...My mouth stayed on fire for a good 30 minutes after tasting and it really wasn't a pleasant heat, rather a kind of astringent bitterness to go along with a lot of burn. Don't get me wrong, I -like- spicy and I like hot but this stuff is simply -way- over the top. Not recommended."). The product? Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.

I combined the Swamp Venom and on the tail end cut the Christ on a bike. That was hot. Maybe fine as a split appetizer where you're not eating too many.

The combination of Venom and Holy of Mother of God was hotter and seemed to have less flavor (or masked any flavor provided by the rub and the ribs).

Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Ribs look great...I like HOT, but it has its place...on food I'm eating and serving to others, it takes a seat in the background , you know it's there bit its in the back row

Nailed the cook!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You have my mouth watering talking about all that heat. Sounds and looks great!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    No question that heat and hot for hot's sake can over-power the goodness of a well finished cook.  Not sure your final objective as I may have missed it in the original description.  Regardless-if it worked and/or you learned from it then score a success.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    I was hoping for a heat that had its own flavor and played well with the other flavors.  However in the end all I tasted was the sauce and maybe a bit of the rub.  Not a bit of the pork or smoke.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I generally add a hot rub such as Swamp Venom lightly over the base rub. That way it adds background heat to an established flavor profile. I usually pair with a sweeter sauce or vinegar mop. I leave my hot on top of hot for my wings, sometimes. 

Ribs look nice 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If hot had a scale from 1 - 10, w. 10 being nuclear inferno, I'd put Swamp Venom at maybe 5.5. Clearly hot, but nothing that will cause any sweat. Seems like the sauce maker was aiming mostly for the heat effect. Lots of great tasting food, Jamaican, Szechuan, etc can be stunningly hot, but the flavor keeps one coming back.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great, but definitely sound hot. 

I was curious about Rib Man. It looks like his specialty is pulled rib meat rolls. There is a ton of meat and the sauce is poured on top. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JOWlyYdn6Q

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Looks like they were cooked really well!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95