Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double cut pork chops, DP tsunami spin, baked potatoes, moon shot

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum

In today's episode of how much can you get into a Minimax, reverse seared double cut pork chops and jacket/baked potatoes, cooked outside next to a roaring fire in our chiminea.

The chops had Dizzy Pig "Tsunami Spin" rub, possibly our favourite simple meat/rub combo. Potatoes to IT 160F on the lower level before transferring to upper level and adding the pork chops. This meant the potatoes were at IT 200F when the pork chops hit IT 145F. Potatoes transferred to warming oven with plates, pork chops seared. Then dinner whilst photographing the moon.

Pork chops with Tsunami Spin on the lower level:

Potatoes on the upper level, already partly cooked:

The sear!

Plated and ready to eat:

Arty close up shot ... should have used f4 instead of f2.8:

Back outside in the warmth of the chiminea:

Moon shot, nice crater definition:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice cook. The sear pic and moon pic are professional quality. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Those pork chops look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Love DP Tsunami Spin on my chops 
  • Dang that looks good..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Yessiree!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Excellent as always.  Great pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    How thick is that chop? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Stormbringer
    Thanks folks.

@milesvdustin the chops were nearly 2 inches thick, top skin and fat trimmed off. Our butcher cuts them specially for us. Really tasty.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    beautiful pics
    O-Town, FL

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Very nice cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Looks awesome! 

The peas on the potato made me spit my water out laughing. When I was a kid my neighbor's mom used to make green peas with literally every meal at 5pm sharp (she was a weird bird) 

Because I was always just eating quickly to get back outside before dark, I would dump them on top of whatever she was serving just to get them down. Spaghetti, loaded potatoes, chili, casserole...it use to piss her off to no end. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Stormbringer
    Looks awesome! 

The peas on the potato made me spit my water out laughing. When I was a kid my neighbor's mom used to make green peas with literally every meal at 5pm sharp (she was a weird bird) 

Because I was always just eating quickly to get back outside before dark, I would dump them on top of whatever she was serving just to get them down. Spaghetti, loaded potatoes, chili, casserole...it use to piss her off to no end. 
    Love it! :)

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

In today's episode of how much can you get into a Minimax, reverse seared double cut pork chops and jacket/baked potatoes, cooked outside next to a roaring fire in our chiminea.

The chops had Dizzy Pig "Tsunami Spin" rub, possibly our favourite simple meat/rub combo. Potatoes to IT 160F on the lower level before transferring to upper level and adding the pork chops. This meant the potatoes were at IT 200F when the pork chops hit IT 145F. Potatoes transferred to warming oven with plates, pork chops seared. Then dinner whilst photographing the moon.

Pork chops with Tsunami Spin on the lower level:

Potatoes on the upper level, already partly cooked:

The sear!

Plated and ready to eat:

Arty close up shot ... should have used f4 instead of f2.8:

Back outside in the warmth of the chiminea:

Beautiful all the way around. I love me some poke chop.

@Jeremiah .....have you fired up your Chiminea yet?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @northGAcock not really. Threw a couple twigs in it while we were still at Disney. Maybe this weekend. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.