Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Double cut pork chops, DP tsunami spin, baked potatoes, moon shot

StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,228
edited January 8 in EggHead Forum

In today's episode of how much can you get into a Minimax, reverse seared double cut pork chops and jacket/baked potatoes, cooked outside next to a roaring fire in our chiminea.

The chops had Dizzy Pig "Tsunami Spin" rub, possibly our favourite simple meat/rub combo. Potatoes to IT 160F on the lower level before transferring to upper level and adding the pork chops. This meant the potatoes were at IT 200F when the pork chops hit IT 145F. Potatoes transferred to warming oven with plates, pork chops seared. Then dinner whilst photographing the moon.

Pork chops with Tsunami Spin on the lower level:

Potatoes on the upper level, already partly cooked:

The sear!

Plated and ready to eat:

Arty close up shot ... should have used f4 instead of f2.8:

Back outside in the warmth of the chiminea:

Moon shot, nice crater definition:

Thanks for looking!
Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.
--------------------------------------------------------------
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff http://www.thecooksdigest.com

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 11,115
    Nice cook. The sear pic and moon pic are professional quality. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 3,564
    Those pork chops look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven.
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • g8golferg8golfer Posts: 845
    Love DP Tsunami Spin on my chops 
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,138
    Dang that looks good..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,468
    Yessiree!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,667
    Excellent as always.  Great pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 1,296
    How thick is that chop? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Akorn Jr

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,228
    Thanks folks.

@milesvdustin the chops were nearly 2 inches thick, top skin and fat trimmed off. Our butcher cuts them specially for us. Really tasty.
    Large BGE and MMX, both with platesetter and cast iron grid. Superpeel for pizza, iDevice for temperature.
    Cooking on the large in deepest, darkest England since Oct 2015. MMX added to the family Mar 2016.

• ewyllinsewyllins Posts: 304
    beautiful pics
    Large, Mini Max, Akorn JR, 36 Blackstone, and 2 Chihuahua's
    O-Town, FL

• bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,031
    Very nice cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Looks awesome! 

The peas on the potato made me spit my water out laughing. When I was a kid my neighbor's mom used to make green peas with literally every meal at 5pm sharp (she was a weird bird) 

Because I was always just eating quickly to get back outside before dark, I would dump them on top of whatever she was serving just to get them down. Spaghetti, loaded potatoes, chili, casserole...it use to piss her off to no end. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• StormbringerStormbringer Posts: 1,228
    Looks awesome! 

The peas on the potato made me spit my water out laughing. When I was a kid my neighbor's mom used to make green peas with literally every meal at 5pm sharp (she was a weird bird) 

Because I was always just eating quickly to get back outside before dark, I would dump them on top of whatever she was serving just to get them down. Spaghetti, loaded potatoes, chili, casserole...it use to piss her off to no end. 
    Love it! :)

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,017

In today's episode of how much can you get into a Minimax, reverse seared double cut pork chops and jacket/baked potatoes, cooked outside next to a roaring fire in our chiminea.

The chops had Dizzy Pig "Tsunami Spin" rub, possibly our favourite simple meat/rub combo. Potatoes to IT 160F on the lower level before transferring to upper level and adding the pork chops. This meant the potatoes were at IT 200F when the pork chops hit IT 145F. Potatoes transferred to warming oven with plates, pork chops seared. Then dinner whilst photographing the moon.

Pork chops with Tsunami Spin on the lower level:

Potatoes on the upper level, already partly cooked:

The sear!

Plated and ready to eat:

Arty close up shot ... should have used f4 instead of f2.8:

Back outside in the warmth of the chiminea:

Beautiful all the way around. I love me some poke chop.

@Jeremiah .....have you fired up your Chiminea yet?
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,682
    @northGAcock not really. Threw a couple twigs in it while we were still at Disney. Maybe this weekend. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.