Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Instant Pot

I have been researching the InstantPot and was wondering if anybody here has used one.  The newest version has an ultra mode where it will maintain water temperature +/- 5 degrees... sous vide.  Thanks for your input.
Simi Valley, California
LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    5° is a lot for SV!

Lots of guys have IPs. Do a search and you'll find plenty.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Got one. Like it. Wouldn’t use it for SV, though. A 10 degree temp fluctuation is too much variable for steaks and such. 
    IP is good for lots of stuff, but my favorite thing to do is boiled eggs. The shells peel of with the greatest of ease. Beans, roasts, whole chickens are also good in the pot. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I thought this was gonna be about an even faster dispensary solution. 

Nevermind,
  • Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering about the sous vide with that temperature range.  I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

@Spaightlabs sorry to disappoint!
    Simi Valley, California
  • Carolina Q
    I have a stovetop PC, not one of the electronic marvels. I absolutely love it. Enjoy whatever you buy!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• We have an old pressure cooker, rice cooker and a slow cooker.  It would be nice to replace those with one item.  Sounds versatile, I think I'll pull the trigger.  

I did a search on the topic and found a few old and convincing, threads.
    Simi Valley, California
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    One device to replace the old old pressure cooker, rice cooker and a slow cooker sounds good.  Except I currently have my rice cooker, pressure cooker, and sous vide all going at the same time.  If just starting out, getting the all in one device would be the way to go.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    We have an old pressure cooker, rice cooker and a slow cooker.  It would be nice to replace those with one item.  Sounds versatile, I think I'll pull the trigger.  

The slow cooker part is not worth a damn, it only heats from the bottom. Maybe the Ultra's are different. My two are Duo's.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2017
    bud812 said:
    We have an old pressure cooker, rice cooker and a slow cooker.  It would be nice to replace those with one item.  Sounds versatile, I think I'll pull the trigger.  

The slow cooker part is not worth a damn, it only heats from the bottom. Maybe the Ultra's are different. My two are Duo's.
    The slow cooker crock pots I have owned only heated from the bottom.
    Similar to putting a dutch oven on a stove top on simmer. They seemed to slow cook just fine. Why would this be bad?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
     I am waiting till black friday, they usually go on sale.
  • @jtcBoynton
    Good point.  I don't have to get rid of the existing items, just tell my wife that I can :)
    @bud812
    Curious as to what problems you had with the slow cooker mode.
    @Miked125
    Very good point!
    Simi Valley, California
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Photo Egg said:
    bud812 said:

The slow cooker crock pots I have owned only heated from the bottom.
    Similar to putting a dutch oven on a stove top on simmer. They seemed to slow cook just fine. Why would this be bad?
    All of my crockpots also just heat from the bottom (actually never seen one that didn't) and they work fine. That heavy ceramic vessel seems to heat up along its sides well enough. Also seems most crockpot recipes end up with plenty of liquid in them so that also helps distribute the heat well.

Also curious why that would be thought to be a problem.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

eggs heat from the bottom

Phoenix 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2018
    My wife got the Ultra Instant Pot on an Sur La Table quick deal for $149 (typically $400?)  Apparently, only the Ultra model can do the SV.

Tried the SV for 1.5" pork chops cooked to 140 then seared - turned out tender and juicy.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Also get a second 6 qt pot, a glass lid, and extra gaskets. Thank me later.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    When you do buy an Instant Pot, suggest getting a second sealing ring, keep one for sweet items, one for savory foods. The rings do take on the character of the last cook. 
    SV for meat is a bit much with a 5ºF temp range, but woulda be fine with veggies done at 180ºF or so. 
    Used ours for eggs today, great results. 

Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    already ordered the glass lid and the non-stick pot for the Ultra.  Direct ordered from Instant Pot cheaper than Sur La Table or Amazon. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I have one (gift) but have never used it. When I ask the same question most really like it but universally get the answer that it doesn’t do rice near as well as a rice cooker. Not dry enough, somewhere between slightly mushy to gummy. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
     "GrillSgt said:
    I have one (gift) but have never used it. When I ask the same question most really like it but universally get the answer that it doesn’t do rice near as well as a rice cooker. Not dry enough, somewhere between slightly mushy to gummy. 
    Find "This Old Gal" web site. I only do Jasmine rice in the IP but have had good success with her recipe. Been using fresh chicken/or turkey broth with water and have the formula working pretty good. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Got the 8 qt one on Black Friday from Amazon, and used it a couple weeks later for our friends Indian food potluck.  Made basmati rice that was fantastic and got a lot of compliments on how "authentic" it was, and I've never hardly made any rice before.  So, my confidence was bolstered and for Christmas, as the BGE'd brisket was resting I made a mushroom risotto that came out as good as my bro-in-law's and he's an executive chef in Phx!  Made a couple of soups too so far, but far and away this is the easiest and best hard boiled egg maker around.  Can't wait to get some things going w/ my IP!  Get one, you'll like it.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Wilma made Seafood Chili in the IP tonight.  We love the thing.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I love the IP because you can brown food on Sauté, then add the rest for the pressure cooking. It makes fabulous chili and pot-roast-type recipes. Take a look at Amy+Jacky website, pressurecookrecipes.com. Or Google them...
    Judy in San Diego
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    And you farkers empty my wallet yet again, just ordered the 6 qt Ultra. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’ve got an IP recipe for you - simple and totally inauthentic Chile verde.  But it kicks ass.

2-3 lbs (after trimming) pork sliced 1/2” to 3/4” cubes - some of each, good to have a variety.  Could go with some 1” or so as well, seoends on how long you have for this.  Season the pork with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, Chile powder, whatever, just skip over anything with sugar.  Hard sear in a oil, remove to a bowl.

1-2 diced yellow or white onions, softened in a hot pan after the pork.

1 can of green Chile enchilada sauce, preferably hatch brand, preferably hot or medium.

1 can ro-tel tomatoes and peppers. - drained!

1-2 cans diced green chiles - mix it up Ortega, hatch, jalapeño, whatever, just average MED heat at least with the canned ingredients.

sauce, drained ro-tel, diced chile into a blender, or a bowl with a stick blender.  Spices if you want, maybe some garlic, make it smooth.

pork, onions and then sauce into IP on high pressure for 30 min or so.  More if you’re in a hurry, less if you’re not. 

Pour it all out into a ci fry pan or Pyrex or Corning dish and put in the oven (or egg if you must) 300-350 depending on how much of a hurry you’re in.  Let the sauce reduce, darken and thicken up a bit.  30 min is good.

When you’re totally done, you want the pork to hold shape but crush pretty easily under a spoon or between your fingers, so adjust time in pressure and time in oven to get there.

Tortillas, avocado, a little cilantro and diced onion and maybe a touch of crumbled Mexican cheese like queso fresco or cotija and you’re done.

btw, both Mission and La Tortilla Factory are making gluten free flour tortillas now.  The Mission ones are off but the other ones are excellent if you know someone that needs to avoid gluten and has had an unfilled burrito crave.  Steam those tortillas if you’re rolling a burrito.  Seriously, this may be the difference between you and that food truck burrito that holds together and isn’t doughy.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, it doesn’t end up very green.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My wife got me the Duo 6 Qt for Christmas like I asked.  We used it for the first time this last Sunday.  Did chicken Marsala recipe I found online.  Came out really good, but they said total cook time is 10 min, but when the chicken is done you have to make the sauce an d it took another 5  min.  Still pretty fast and all in one pot.  I asked for it so we could make quicker meals during the week.  I need to try a pot roast and a whole chicken sometime.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Yeah that's the one odd "standard" with the IP - the cook time is the time it's under pressure, but doesn't count the prep time, the heat up time or the pressure release time. The 'standard' however, I've found is that the IP recipes you find online all use the "cook time" to mean the time under pressure.

One 'trick' is to use the saute feature as it heats up the pot before you add the lid...
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I just got the "Fagor Lux Multicooker, 6 qt." . . . hope it is not a cheap version on the IP.  Crazy deal and gift card so only cost me $20.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Cook time is always time under pressure, whether electric or stovetop. I don't know how long an IP takes to pressurize (or to release). I like my Presto 8 Qt stovetop PC and it takes only a few minutes to pressurize. The 8 Qt size is plenty big for anything I've tried plus you can put it in the sink and run cold water over it to release pressure. Depending on what you're cooking - some things call for natural release.

I've done chicken stew, pulled pork (not very good, surprise, surprise!), lots of beans (no presoaking necessary), chili, soup, rice (from white to wild), beef stew, more I'm sure.

This morning, I tried PC'd boiled eggs for the first time. I watched a video that said to pressurize for six minutes, release under running water and peel. I did that, except I put them in an ice water bath before peeling. They almost peeled themselves! Seriously! Egg whites were completely smooth, no divots at all! Supposedly, they peel this well even if the eggs were just laid. Mine were older.

The only thing was, they weren't as done as I would have preferred. Found this photo after I cooked 'em. Mine looked like the 6 min pic (which they were). Next time, will try 7 min.
    pressure cooker hard boiled eggs

Anyway, I love my PC!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    My daughter told me about this. I'm excited as hell, we only use farm eggs and they are HARD to peel. Finally will get this contraption off the shelf.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    GrillSgt said:
    My daughter told me about this. I'm excited as hell, we only use farm eggs and they are HARD to peel. Finally will get this contraption off the shelf.
    I just roll them on a cutting board and the shells come off in two halves 90% of the time.