Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Instant Pot

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2018
    Options
    IP is worth it for HB eggs alone.
    I like 5/4/4
    1C H2O
    5 min(to pressure), 4min(manual cook time), 4min (rest in the IP), ice bath. 
    Beautifully presented. =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Legume said:
    GrillSgt said:
    My daughter told me about this. I'm excited as hell, we only use farm eggs and they are HARD to peel. Finally will get this contraption off the shelf.
    I just roll them on a cutting board and the shells come off in two halves 90% of the time.
    Not mine. 
  • Focker
    edited January 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Legume said:
    GrillSgt said:
    My daughter told me about this. I'm excited as hell, we only use farm eggs and they are HARD to peel. Finally will get this contraption off the shelf.
    I just roll them on a cutting board and the shells come off in two halves 90% of the time.
    Not mine. 
    They're magical eggs.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Yeah that's the one odd "standard" with the IP - the cook time is the time it's under pressure, but doesn't count the prep time, the heat up time or the pressure release time. The 'standard' however, I've found is that the IP recipes you find online all use the "cook time" to mean the time under pressure.

One 'trick' is to use the saute feature as it heats up the pot before you add the lid...
    Pressure release is a big one. Some recipes are instant PR and some are natural PR. That can be 30 seconds v. 20 minutes so make sure it is taken into account. Even so, I love being able to reduce cooking time to 1/3 of what it takes in the oven. Made ropa vieja the other night, all in took 1 hour. Normally, that's around 3 hours. One tip, press sauté and then brown your meat. Prep other stuff and add after the meat comes out to deglaze it. Then add your liquid and the meat and go to town.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Legume said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Not mine. 
    I meant...they do now that I started using the IP.  We typically buy the pasture raised eggs that are a b*tch to peel if you boil them.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I have just a 2 minute cook time on my HB eggs, and natural release, then into an ice bath. Come out well cooked and SO peelable!!!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    I've never talked to anyone who bought an IP who didn't love it.
    And the eggs are just awesome. I can often get the shell off in one piece!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Focker
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Greek yogurt is on the "project" list.
    I agree with a second sealing ring.
    I wouldn't mind getting a second SS IP pot.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GrillSgt
    Options
    Legume said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Legume said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Not mine. 
    I meant...they do now that I started using the IP.  We typically buy the pasture raised eggs that are a b*tch to peel if you boil them.
    Got you. You know if you let those farm eggs "age" for 6 weeks or so like the grocery eggs do they are also easy to peel. That's because they lose some liquid and don't fill the shell. 
  • vb4677
    Options
    Watched my Exec Chef Bro-in-law make a risotto old school way and stand there and stir forever.  I did a mushroom one in the IP (some stirring during the saute phase, but no where near what he did!) and it turned out really good.  Will do that again, as it's an impressive dish...
  • Legume
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Legume said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Legume said:
    GrillSgt said:
    Not mine. 
    Got you. You know if you let those farm eggs "age" for 6 weeks or so like the grocery eggs do they are also easy to peel. That's because they lose some liquid and don't fill the shell. 
    Yep, even two weeks makes a difference.  That’s what we used to do for deviled eggs if we had the forethought to buy ahead, but this even beats old eggs...and they’re not old.  I started with the 5+5+5 method with the IP but it seems a bit much so I’ve been dialing down the pressure time.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Does anyone think the number of eggs has an effect on the cooking time?
  • Legume
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Does anyone think the number of eggs has an effect on the cooking time?
    Yes to the heat up time, especially if they’re cold, but doubtful to the cooking time unless you stacked it full maybe.  I do one layer of eggs, if I had to guess it’s 10-12.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Do you need to keep them separated or is it ok to just pile 'em in there? I've seen photos of it both ways. Saw one where they cut an egg carton in half and used that to separate. Someone else used bottle caps. This is more my style...
    Related image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Options
  • vb4677
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I recall reading somewhere you could fill it half full with eggs just stacking 'em in there...in an 8 qt - that's a lot of cackleberries !

• GrillSgt
    Options
    I read somewhere 36, not sure which unit that was. 
  • Focker
    Options
    I use the rack, and pile them in.  18 eggs is fine in the IP.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cool. Off to buy a dozen. I have never bought anything other than grocery store eggs. There's a farm near me that sells free range eggs for $5/dozen and I'm tempted. Quite a difference from Aldi 49¢, hahaha! But they look a bit different too. Have to try it. 
    cagedjpg
    free-rangejpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    Options
    I pay $3 dozen. They are worth it. I could see $5 in CT.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Has anyone tried meatloaf in the IP?

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hey, this thread is like an infomercial!!!
    Options
    Y'all must eat a lot of boiled eggs.
    NOLA