Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite rub for chicken?

hello everyone,
can anyone recommend a good rub for chicken? I see lots geared towards pork and beef but haven’t seen much for chicken.  

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I will recommend a few as some may be more readily available to you. 

1. Dizzy Pig Raging River
    2. Rub your Chicken
    3. Clicker dust by Suckle Busters
    4. Papa Charlie’s from John Henry 
    5. Plowboys Yardbird
    I could go on and on. Items 1,2, and 4 are not basic traditional bbq chicken rubs where as the other two are just that.  Meat church makes a fabulous brine for poultry that is pricey, but worth every penny. Brining will raise your game significantly. I like the meat church brine and a dusting of 1,2,or 4 personally, but it’s all great. Good luck
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I’ve recently gone ‘back to basics’ - Salt & Pepper.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    When looking to change it up I enjoy Tony Chachere's creole seasoning.
    Weber makes a Kickin' Chicken rub that also works for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I like this, but dusted lightly. Too much can be overpowering.

• Wilma likes Old Bay.  Others we like are S&P, Mediterraneanish, Raging River...etc.  Chicken is a blank canvass and the sky's the limit!
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Bone suckin' Rub
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Dizzy Pig's Shaking the Tree is a good lemon pepper still or you could make Simon & Garfunkel rub(just run a search for it).
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    McCormick's Perfect Pinch Caribbean Jerk is one I've gotten to like.
  • pgprescott
    Today I’m trying Meat Church Garlic and Herb. It’s one of their new ones. I tasted it and thought it would prolly be best on a Prime rib roast, but I’m giving it a whirl on the bird. I’ll let you all know what my opinion is when full. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Buffalo Wild Wings has their seasonings for sale.  We like the Desert Heat quite a bit.  Especially on chicken thighs. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Bruschetta seasoning mix

• kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    S&P and some choice of dried herbs such as oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning. I also have one called Meditalian rub that is essentially the above in premixed form (first ingredient in the label is 'Spice', thanks a whole bunch...)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Everglades Fish and Chicken Seasoning
    Plowboys Yardbird

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    kaybee said:
    S&P and some choice of dried herbs such as oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning. I also have one called Meditalian rub that is essentially the above in premixed form (first ingredient in the label is 'Spice', thanks a whole bunch...)

Papa Charlie’s is a Greek inspired rub as well. Those flavors really pair well on the bird. 
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Simon and Garfunkel's from AmazingRibs is my go-to.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • Most I’ve not heard of,I’m going to track some of these down.  Many thanks to all!!!!!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I am holding an experiment this afternoon. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Agree with several already mentioned, especially Papa Charlie’s and Shakin the Tree.  Would also add DP mole and mad max, twisted Q magic mojo, The Rub Co Santa Maria style.  This is my absolute favorite for chicken thighs:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited January 2018
    Awards winning rub, it has the 3-letter secret ingredient though ...

canuckland
  • Why not give ole "Jess Hall" a try he's a renowned legend from the great state of Texas.  Just remember "If you leave Texas you ain't gone nowhere."
    Auburn, Alabama
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    Oakridge game bird and chicken rub. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Why not give ole "Jess Hall" a try he's a renowned legend from the great state of Texas.  Just remember "If you leave Texas you ain't gone nowhere."
    @flexfusion I live in south Tx but am not from here originally,  who is Jess hall!??
  • Acn said:
    Agree with several already mentioned, especially Papa Charlie’s and Shakin the Tree.  Would also add DP mole and mad max, twisted Q magic mojo, The Rub Co Santa Maria style.  This is my absolute favorite for chicken thighs:

Acn said:

Acn said:

Acn said:

Acn said:

Acn said:

• @Acn I’m gonna give that a try as I love jerk chicken,there’s a place on the east coast called the spice house,I found them online 4 years ago.they sell jerk chicken seasoning.you mix their spices with oil,orange juice and lime juice and marinade over night.its off the chart good,I just made my last batch a few weeks ago and it was as good as it was the first time after sitting in my cupboard for years.
  • So sorry. Not sure what I did wrong
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I’ve got that rub too.  I quit using it because it just seemed to salty to me.  Maybe I was using to much.   It over powered any skinless piece I put it on.   How much are you using?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • pgprescott
    I’ve got that rub too.  I quit using it because it just seemed to salty to me.  Maybe I was using to much.   It over powered any skinless piece I put it on.   How much are you using?
    That’s been my experience with salty rubs. Go real light and many of them are delightful. However if you aren’t aware of the salt level you can flat out ruin your meal. LOL. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    My Grandmother made a vinegar based dip, not a rub (hey we are in NC BBQ country)  It was the best I've had when I was a kid and Dad was grilling.  If you are intrested I'll dig out the exact recipe.  Man that brings back memories of me and my Dad sharpening a stick and throwing little apples I know 50 yards, seemed like 200 at the time. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.