Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket consistency

Options
After lots of experimentation, I'm finally honing in on my go-to method for a consistent good brisket at each cook.  Thought I'd share in case anyone is struggling like I did at first.  

First, I've had best results with Costco prime in the 11-13 lb range.  Bigger seems to be more difficult and smaller doesn't seem worth the effort.

Second, I go a little hotter than I did when starting out.  I shoot for 300-325 dome.  I also spritz with water about every hour till I wrap.  I picked this up from Franklin, and maybe it is in my head but it seems to work.

I wrap in butcher paper around 175-185 depending on how the bark looks...I want it to look dark brown but not black.  If it is too dark, wrap.  Once it gets to around 190 I unwrap and let finish naked.  Probe the flat for doneness.  Also it should be jiggly like a D cup.

When done I FTC for at least 3-4 hours.  I have skipped this in the past and get worse results so I don't anymore.

Have done this method the last few times and I get great results each time.

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Yessir good looking brisket. I haven’t tried one in awhile. Need to give it another run. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Great work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Good stuff.  Thanks for posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks for posting.  I think getting consistency with brisket on the BGE is a challenge for a lot of reasons.

With your approach, it sounds like you’re not wrapping it for very long if you’re starting up to 185 and unwrapping at 190?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great outcome.  Find a process that works and stay with it.  The quality of meat going in has a big impact on the outcome.  FWIW-
    Remember that Franklin is cooking on an off-set so the internal cooking atmosphere is quite a bit different than a BGE.  But if spritzing works keep at it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Thanks for posting.  I think getting consistency with brisket on the BGE is a challenge for a lot of reasons.

With your approach, it sounds like you’re not wrapping it for very long if you’re starting up to 185 and unwrapping at 190?
    Potentially...today's was probably only wrapped for only an hour or so...just depends on the color...if it is out of the stall and has a good color, I wrap.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks good from the photos and if the process works, keep going with it.  Sounds like a turbo method to me me which others have done on here with good results.  Like @lousubcap said spritzing with water may not be necessary, but if it works go for it. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    what is the cook time and your prep process?  do you salt, inject or just trim rub and on?

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• FWRealtor
    Options
    That really does look incredible. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • FWRealtor
    Options
    I've started spritzing mine with a mixture of dill pickle juice, pickled jalepeno juice, and warm water. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    what is the cook time and your prep process?  do you salt, inject or just trim rub and on?
    At that temp it took about 7 hours to cook a 13lb brisket.  I just trim and rub with Montreal Steak seasoning.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    At that temp it took about 7 hours to cook a 13lb brisket.  I just trim and rub with Montreal Steak seasoning.

thank you sir, gonna give this a try.  BOILER UP.  I am ready for a good run this basketball season.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've started spritzing with apple cider/cider vinegar mixture in a 10/1 ratio lately and have been getting great bark color at 160ish. A little sugar from the unfiltered cider for color, and a little vinegar action to cut through, and wash away the areas where grease pools up. 
    Gittin' there...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The bark and smoke ring look awesome!  It honestly looks dry in that picture. Is that just the photo or did it continue to cook after the jiggly D cup stage?

I'm asking because consistency is one thing I have yet to achieve with brisket. I have made some great briskets.  And like you, I agree they are best when you pick that thing up and it's jiggly.  But it seems if half the battle is cooking a perfect brisket, the other half of the art is keeping it that way until you serve it.  Heck, I'm sure most have experienced this at BBQ restaurants as well.  One day it's the best brisket you've ever had, and the next time you try it it's dry pot roast.  Same place.

2nd question, isn't there some magic that happens if you just leave the egg closed until it hits temp? If you open it every hour to spritz, aren't you letting out heat and moisture?  Maybe the heat loss is more of an issue for 225 degree cooks which take time to stabilize.  If you are up at 325, I suspect a quick spritz open/close isn't a concern.  And, if you get good results at the higher temp, a 7 hour cook is much easier to plan your meal around.

Thanks for the details. :plus_one: Please don't read my response as critical.  They're honest questions as I would like to achieve the holy grail that is "brisket consistency"! 
    (I have just come to accept that the phrase is an oxymoron)  :)

I sense a trip to my Amish butcher shop coming on... 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    The bark and smoke ring look awesome!  It honestly looks dry in that picture. Is that just the photo or did it continue to cook after the jiggly D cup stage?

I'm asking because consistency is one thing I have yet to achieve with brisket. I have made some great briskets.  And like you, I agree they are best when you pick that thing up and it's jiggly.  But it seems if half the battle is cooking a perfect brisket, the other half of the art is keeping it that way until you serve it.  Heck, I'm sure most have experienced this at BBQ restaurants as well.  One day it's the best brisket you've ever had, and the next time you try it it's dry pot roast.  Same place.

2nd question, isn't there some magic that happens if you just leave the egg closed until it hits temp? If you open it every hour to spritz, aren't you letting out heat and moisture?  Maybe the heat loss is more of an issue for 225 degree cooks which take time to stabilize.  If you are up at 325, I suspect a quick spritz open/close isn't a concern.  And, if you get good results at the higher temp, a 7 hour cook is much easier to plan your meal around.

Thanks for the details. :plus_one: Please don't read my response as critical.  They're honest questions as I would like to achieve the holy grail that is "brisket consistency"! 

Consistency takes time, practices and sticking to what works I think.  I like the old tried and true low and slow from 225 to 250.  If you need to get it done and it is stuck in a stall, break out the crutch when the bark is the color you want.  I had to do this for a 15 lb one I was doing over night and my temp dropped from 260 to 145.  When the brisket got to 165 I double wrapped it in foil and took it till it probed like butter.  Let rest 20 minutes, separated the point from the flat to make burnt ends and covered the flat in a foil pan in its own juices.  Came out very well.

Boileregger said he wrapped in butcher paper then put it back on.  If the brisket probed like butter that probably wasn't needed and I would have just put foil around the paper and not unwrapped if you are going to hold over.  I have found that getting the brisket done early before needed and holding it over for a few hours by FTC helps a lot.  The reason Arron Franklin uses butcher paper is so the bark dose not get so soft like when you use foil.

I suggest taking notes when cooking a brisket to help you remember what worked and maybe didn't.  I took a brisket and butt cooking class like 4 years ago and it helped me a lot.  It was taught by a local BBQ Champion here in KC, Chris Marks of Three Little Pigs.  He now travels around the country and world teaching people how to BBQ.  Not sure if he gets up you way or not, but is something to check out.
    http://three-little-pigs-bbq.com/classes/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

thank you sir, gonna give this a try.  BOILER UP.  I am ready for a good run this basketball season.
    Me too...just got back from the bowl game.  Between the football turnaround and the basketball team, it is a great time to be a Boilermaker!  Boiler Up!
  • Boileregger
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way...this method works for me and gives me consistency and a product I like.  Again, I fully recognize that the spritz may all be in my head but for me it  seems to be better when I do it this way, YMMV.  The flat wasn't dry at all...passed both the bend test and the pull test...in fact best flat I have done I think.  The point was dripping and fantastic.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Boileregger said:..  Also it should be jiggly like a D cup.
    Yes. Yes it should.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Um, did you say something after "jiggly like a D cup"? I didn't get anything past that point. I read it twice too.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Our Costco doesnt carry Prime brisket that I have seen. @4Runner, @Dyal_SC

And I LOVE D Cups
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Chubbs said:

And I LOVE D Cups
    Who doesn't??
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Chubbs said:

And I LOVE D Cups
    I haven’t seen any.   I’m spoiled on SRF brisket and take advantage of their sales. The best was BOGO.   Did that a couple of times.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat