Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in Pork Loin

Options
I have 3 pound bone in pork loin.  What temperature should I cook it at? (I'm already assuming indirect)
Also what temperature should I be achieving?

Comments

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I never get bone in but I do loins around 350 raised direct.  I usually always marinate mine and they come out great. I’m pretty sure you can have loin medium around that 145 mark.  Wife doesn’t like any shade of pink in pork so I usually pull around 155-160 at center.  The ends usually 5-10 degrees higher than center.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I like about 275 until the internal temp hits 142.  The goal is 145 for food safety purposes and the carryover cooking will get you there.  

There's a narrow window for pork loin.  At about 155 it turns to rubber.

I don't bother with a sear because I think that just roasting it at 275 (you can even let the temp rise toward the end) gets a good surface crust.  However, I think I'm in the minority on that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You can cook it at any temp, but I would not go past 140 internal.

Personally, I would do 325 dome (+\- 25) and pull it at 135 and allow carryover to get you there. 
    Or
    300 dome to 115 internal then open vents to get to about 425 dome for the last few degrees to get more color outside.

All depends on your seasoning and or rub.

Post up the results! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I will agree with foghorn that standard loins once out of sweet internal temp range the meat quality (texture) declines. But I have found that an all day marinade keeps the meat juicy and tender even at that medium well IT.  If you don’t mind then pull it at that 145.  But when the wife is happy everyone is happy
  • PrivateJoker
    Options
    If I cook the loin at 275 any idea how long until I hit 145?
  • Foghorn
    Options
    75-150 minutes? Probably in the 90-120 range.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought one of those a few weeks ago. Trimmed the babybacks off (only 4 ribs) and cut the loin into chops. Even got a bonus with a small piece of tenderloin still attached (cook's treat :)). Haven't cooked the ribs yet, but the 1 1/2" chop and the tenderloin were great!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PrivateJoker
    Options
    It took about 3 hours.  However it's like 5 degrees outside and negative with the wind.  I pulled at 147 and it was pretty darn juicy.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Looks awasome.  Sorry I led you astray with my time estimate.  Hope that didn't create too much inconvenience.  

San Antonio, TX

• PrivateJoker
    Options
    No problem.  I had all day, I'm sure the outside temp played a part for it took a good while to get it up to temp.