Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Goodwill Find: Sous Vide Supreme / Intro

Options
I've been reading the forum for quite some time, and have been kicking around the idea of purchasing one of the Anova Sous Vide units to complement my LBGE and 28" Blackstone.

While I love my Egg, I must say that the Blackstone has made the biggest impact on quickly getting weeknight meals on the table.  

I live in Indianapolis, and was poking around one of our Goodwill stores last night, when I stumbled on a shiny metal box on the bottom shelf.  It was tucked back far enough I couldn't tell what it was, and at first glance, thought I'd be very lucky if it was an InstaPot.  

Lo and behold, I knelt down and saw it: a Sous Vide Supreme.  I plugged it in, and after realizing the power button must be held down for a few seconds, that it powered on, and all controls appeared to work.  It went home with me for $14.99, along with the thought that there must be some fatal flaw that wouldn't allow it to maintain temperature, etc.

I powered it up as soon as I got home, and set the temperature to 145 degrees.  After starting at 64 degrees, it reached 145 within 25 minutes or so, and beeped to alert me.  It held temp the rest of the night, and when I woke up this morning, it was still holding at 145!

Needless to say I'm excited, and figured the folks on here would appreciate it.  I spent last night perusing the forum for recipes and links to other sites, and think I'm going to run over to Costco at lunch to grab a couple steaks to try out!

Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Whoa! What a score
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Good find on that one. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Holy crap... what a find...  I agree also that my black stone has taken over weeknight cooks...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    NICE!  My wife and her sister go (what they call boutiqueing) about once a week to the high end goodwills.  She has some really good finds.  Northface coat with liner and store tags for $5, Kitchen aid mixer for next to nothing.  My point is I have challenged her to top your find. It really amazes me what rich people will throw out new. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I love finding high end stuff at thrift stores and yard sales!! Great find
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,351
    Options
    Awesome find by a fellow Hoosier. I need to start combing the Goodwill's in Btown.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    Wow - great score there!

You should love that water oven. I have a few immersion circulators but I rarely use them anymore since I got my Oliso which is the same kind of water oven device as your Sous Vide Supreme. Very convenient.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    I think you'll love it. I bought mine over five years ago and have used it a lot. Always right on the money for temperature and a great size.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    NICE WIN!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • jones2289
    jones2289 Posts: 56
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    NICE!  My wife and her sister go (what they call boutiqueing) about once a week to the high end goodwills.  She has some really good finds.  Northface coat with liner and store tags for $5, Kitchen aid mixer for next to nothing.  My point is I have challenged her to top your find. It really amazes me what rich people will throw out new. 
    Funny you mention that!  I snagged a KitchenAid mixer several years ago for $5.99 at Goodwill.  It definitely needed some cleaning, but has worked great for us.

We go quite often, and like you said, I'm always shocked at what people throw out.  We typically use Craigslist, eBay, etc. to unload things we don't use, unless they're of minimal value.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Huge score. That the big one too. Mad jealous. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Love goodwill/thrift stores!!!   I found an aluminum platter w/ some ducks/geese on it...bought it fer 5 bucks, took it home and discovered it was some sorta signed piece that upon research discovered it was worth about 150!!!!  hahaha 
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Lucky!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Great find, give a paper towel dried steak a quick sear on the blackstone, no more than 30-40 seconds a side, just to colour. Into a bag with some favourite rub, a splash of oil and into your new found Supreme set for whatever finish IT you like for a few hours (2 to 4 at 130ºF is my usual). 
    When ready to eat, finish sear on the blackstone - the egg gets the night off!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!