Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks and stuff. And a new camera, but didn't take many pics

Options
Steaks were seared on a Weber Kettle.  Then roasted on the BGE with smoked Mac and Cheese.  And asparagus.  And green beans (both in the foil).  And tomatoes.  

But I forgot to get any money shots.  The steaks were perfectly cooked.  Just on the rare side of medium rare.  We also did some salmon and some venison steaks and some venison sausage.

It was a good night.  Good beer and wine also consumed.  A quad and a scotch ale from Real Ale in Blanco, TX.   And a Stag's Leap Cab that was preceded by blend from Becker Vineyard.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Now that is a true banquet waiting to happen.  Too bad you didn't toss in a slice of bacon to acknowledge National Bacon Day ;)
    Edit:  sounds like a forward sear-how do you like that process, especially relative to nailing the finish temp?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    @lousubcap, I've become more of a fan of the forward sear than the reverse sear.   I tend to overcook with the reverse sear.  They are both great when executed well.  I just execute the forward sear better.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Banquet is the proper term.  Nice "execution" ;).  Happy new year brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @bgebrent.

Happy New Year to you and yours my brother.

San Antonio, TX

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    Beautiful....simply beautiful!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @Dave in Florida

San Antonio, TX

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Steaks and a Stags Leap cab ... lovely. Was it from Stags Leap Wine Cellars, or a different winery in the Stags Leap area?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Awesome cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @Stormbringer.  I’m honestly not sure. Our guests brought it. They rarely bring anything that costs under $50 if that helps. 

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @bluebird66 and @northGAcock.

San Antonio, TX

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    What a spread! Mmm smoked mac and cheese!
    LBGE
    AL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You had me at “rare side of medium rare”. Perfection!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Great looking beef, in spite of the superfluous (but photogenic) salad.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks @Stormbringer.  I’m honestly not sure. Our guests brought it. They rarely bring anything that costs under $50 if that helps. 
    Actually, I misread your question initially.  I have since determined that it was the cab from Stags Leap Napa Valley collection.  

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @TideEggHead and @pgprescott.  

@20stone, the tomatoes were my son's idea.  They were leftover from Christmas, but he wanted to see how they went with the mac and cheese - to consider adding bits of them to it in the future.  The jury is still out.  

San Antonio, TX

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Actually, I misread your question initially.  I have since determined that it was the cab from Stags Leap Napa Valley collection.  
    Ah now that's a decent wine. We visited that winery a few years ago, lovely place. If you get a chance, I highly recommend their petite syrah, whenever we are in the USA we try to get a bottle or two of that to bring back home.

https://www.stagsleap.com/our-wines/napa-valley/petite-sirah/2014

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Ah now that's a decent wine. We visited that winery a few years ago, lovely place. If you get a chance, I highly recommend their petite syrah, whenever we are in the USA we try to get a bottle or two of that to bring back home.

https://www.stagsleap.com/our-wines/napa-valley/petite-sirah/2014

Thank for that.  I'll add that to my notes as we hope to be out there next spring.

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What's the camera details? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @tarheelmatt, it's a Canon EOS Rebel that I bought for my wife sometime around 2004.  She has had a 7D since 2010 and we've used the old Rebel as a back-up camera or we have given it to the kids when they travel over the years.  We finally gave my daughter a new Rebel T6 this year for Christmas so I claimed the old Rebel.  

I know that I've seen some amazing pictures on here from iphones, but I've just never been able to make it happen.  I think this may do for my photography what my egg did for my cooking.  Because of better equipment, my photography will get better - but it will also get me to pay more attention to the details so that I'm better with lesser equipment as well.  I'm definitely a better cook on a Weber now than I was before I bought my egg.  

With that said, I welcome any input - about cooking or photography.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Quite the spread, Fog. 

Happy 2018 to you and the fam. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thank you @caliking.  Happy 2018 to you and yours as well.  I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

San Antonio, TX